Adventure games of the good ol' days.

L.T.W.

• 9 months later...

Anybody know an old adventure game back in the DOS days that was based around Mars and you have to look for ways to get your ship back to fly off the planet again? I think it was Mars, but I've been looking for that game for a long, long time and can't find the name. I played a demo of it a long time ago along with Goblins and it seems pretty interesting.

On a side note, anyone know how to get those old DOS games working on an XP Windows machine without having to go into DOS? I don't want to mess up my computer, since I do music on it, but I really want to go back and play the Monkey Islands and Full Throttle, DotT, and Grim Fandango.

EDIT: I found out the game I was thinking about; The Dig. But I'd still like to know how to play it on my computer.

I think Secret of Monkey Island might have been the first PC game I really ever played (having been mostly a console gamer). I played it at a friend's house up to the point where you have to shoot yourself out of the cannon on the ship, and for some reason I couldn't figure it out. I was damned sure that I knew what you had to do, but I was apparently clicking things in the wrong order or something.

Years later I picked up the bundle pack of the first three games, and finally got to beat it. And yes, I did the same thing I tried to do back then, except this time it worked.

Oh damn, (mild spoilers) I also remember crashing the game on the part where you have to melt the lock with the grog. I got it down to where I could make it all the way to the jail on one mug and even click the command to use the grog on the lock. But the mug would finish melting and disappear in that short 2 seconds it took Guybrush to actually walk over to the lock, and when he reached out to use it, the game would crash. I thought there was something wrong with the game, but then I figured out what you had to do.

The Neverhood is pretty cool just to look at. Everything's made of clay!

Hell. Fucking. YES.

A few weeks ago I found my old CD-ROM of it and have been having a ball replaying it so far.

In other news, I found me a trial copy of Sam & Max Hit the Road not too long ago. I'll be firing it up in DOSBox shortly...

On a side note, anyone know how to get those old DOS games working on an XP Windows machine without having to go into DOS? I don't want to mess up my computer, since I do music on it, but I really want to go back and play the Monkey Islands and Full Throttle, DotT, and Grim Fandango.

See above. :idea:

DOSBox emulates a complete PC--according to the documentation--so no worry about messing up your system. You can map drives to any directory on your filesystem and configure it in other ways without affecting XP. You could even run Windows 3.1 on it if you wanted to. :-)

I think Secret of Monkey Island might have been the first PC game I really ever played (having been mostly a console gamer). I played it at a friend's house up to the point where you have to shoot yourself out of the cannon on the ship, and for some reason I couldn't figure it out. I was damned sure that I knew what you had to do, but I was apparently clicking things in the wrong order or something.

This is because you boiled your recipe instead of the dance paper or the minutes you receive from the pirates. I have found almost every glitch in this game (including getting the monkey to the wrong side of the mountains and the 'Lemonhead Loop')

Well you've already gotten the Maniac Mansion games obviously. Let see what else:

Series:

King's Quest series (esp. IV, V, and VI)

Space Quest series (esp. I, II, III, and IV)

Monkey Island series (esp. I and II)

Quest for Glory series (esp. II and III)

Phatasmagoria series (*WARNING* - extremely graphic; actually, it was so bad that many stores refused to carry it at the time)

Grabriel Knight series

Police Quest series (not great, but not bad either)

The 7th Guest / The 11th Hour (two game series)

Hugo's House of Horrors series

Stand Alone:

Full Throttle

The Dig

Torin's Passage

Freddy Pharkas: Frontier Pharmacist

Sam & Max Hit the Road

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis

Loom

Snatcher - Sega CD version or, preferably, Japanese SCD or PC Engine version (*WARNING* - extremely graphic)

On a slightly different type, there's always the Myst series.

Or you could always go for old text adventures like the Zork series or the old Scott Adams Adventure games. FYI, the Scott Adams games can be downloaded for free at his personal website here:

http://www.msadams.com/downloads.htm

Also, AGD has did a couple remakes of the first two KQ games some years ago. They can be found for free here (there's also a speech pack for KQII).

http://www.agdinteractive.com/games.php

[edit] added some games I spaced on earlier (7/11th series, Hugo series, Loom, Snatcher)

You shouldn't really have a problem with Grim Fandango considering it was a Windows game (just run it in Compatibility mode if you have to), but for any other old adventure games, ScummVM should have you covered. It's been ported a fair bit too, so even now you could even play these on your wii if you wanted to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byzgr-GLLSQ&feature=related

I sometimes think Silent Hill 1, 2 and maybe 3 should be considered adventure games because they are so light on gameplay, but pretty heavy in the actual adventure part, including the multiple endings. SH2, to me, was a more accomplished adventure games than many adventure games themselves. Too bad it was far too scary to just leisurely play along like with actual adventure titles.

I hope the next Alone in the Dark game fits that ambiguous bill too.

I take it I'm the only one that liked Montezuma's Revenge aka Panama Joe..?

Always played it when I had the chance back then,,,

[sings]

There was a little Spanish flea

A record star he thought he'd be

He heard the singers like Beatles

The Chipmunks he'd seen on tee-veeeeee

Why not a little Spanish flea?

Damn that song is catchy. :mrgreen:

--And yes, I'll look up that game too.

Oh man. This reminded me that I had built a retro gaming machine a couple years back that I should really hook back up. Old Pentium 100 Gateway desktop with a ten gig hard drive. I only put a few games on like Doom and stuff, but I also put The Dig back on it. God damn did I love that game. I was actually playing it on my projector when I built the machine. The music was tits in that and the story was great.

Wasn't The Dig supposed to be a movie originally, and due to budget reasons they just made it into a game? If that's the case, they should really go back and make it into a movie now.

I actually just started playing Syberia and DAMN! I love the atmosphere so damn much. If it continues on and has a not shit-all-over-itself ending then it could quite possibly be my favorite game. All the little toys and stuff are cool; I wish there was a town built around automatons.

On kind of a side note, did anyone play the old Learning Company games? They kinda count as adventure games I guess. Treasure Mountain, Treasure Cove, Gizmos and Gadgets, and that one in the old school. The one in the old school used to scare the shit out of me when the robots would pop out of nowhere. Ah, those were the days.

Wasn't The Dig supposed to be a movie originally, and due to budget reasons they just made it into a game? If that's the case, they should really go back and make it into a movie now.

It was put forward as a possible movie idea, but ultimately shoved to the side. Even the game had severe troubles being made, going through 3 different design teams before finally being released (which explains some of the non cohesion in art styles). Reasons The Dig wouldn't work as a movie in its game format is the lack of 'togetherness' on the part of the search team. It would be a movie based on ambience, and those type of films just don't do that well nowadays.

I actually just started playing Syberia and DAMN! I love the atmosphere so damn much. If it continues on and has a not shit-all-over-itself ending then it could quite possibly be my favorite game. All the little toys and stuff are cool; I wish there was a town built around automatons.

On kind of a side note, did anyone play the old Learning Company games? They kinda count as adventure games I guess. Treasure Mountain, Treasure Cove, Gizmos and Gadgets, and that one in the old school. The one in the old school used to scare the shit out of me when the robots would pop out of nowhere. Ah, those were the days.

Oh, I remember those games. I remember them being rather frustrating at points. There's actually one other one where the evil Marty takes over a radio station or something...

Loom

Holy smokes! I can't believe I forgot that one! :oops: Man do I feel ashamed. :-( Which reminds me, there are a few others I spaced on at the time.... *goes back and fixes (link)*

Full Throttle is still my favorite though, with Sam & Max Hit the Road, Space Quest II & III, and The Dig all tied for second. After that would be the Phantasmagoria games and King's Quest V & VI. I just failed to mention that before.