OCR-Tan

DarkeSword

Sorry I didn't get back sooner

30 FPS is the absolute minimum, otherwise this thing will play like being under leagues of salt water.

Edit: coop you ain't got no Imageready?

I CERTAINLY would no encourage you to STEAL AFTER EFFECTS either. It's wrong and immoral and you're better than that.

...Plus it takes awhile to learn :/

Sorry I didn't get back sooner

30 FPS is the absolute minimum, otherwise this thing will play like being under leagues of salt water.

Edit: coop you ain't got no Imageready?

I CERTAINLY would no encourage you to STEAL AFTER EFFECTS either. It's wrong and immoral and you're better than that.

...Plus it takes awhile to learn :/

30fps? Okily dokily. I'll fix it to be that.

And yeah, I have Image Ready. That's what I use to make all my animated gifs. But, it doesn't like trying to open Flash files. If I need to, I can recreate it in IR if you want it as an animated gif (at a .03 frame delay so it works at 30fps). Is that how you want this BG Wingless? Just let me know which format you'd like (finished fla file, finished swf, or finished gif), and I'll get it made up for you.

Yikes, I'm making a Flash game at 15 FPS!! It really lends itself to the art style I chose though, and the fact that there are dozens of enemies and effects on the screen at any one time, and that everything's kind of floaty - I was considering 16 FPS, BUT NO, too high for me! (and my weak computer!)

But yes, for a Megaman-X-style game, anything lower than 30 FPS would look pretty choppy.

I love the shooting anim, but I'd maybe suggest a fist - the big 4-fingered hand looks kind of... ehh... like a giant balloon hand.

Inbetweens! Here's the frame inbetween the stand and the dash poses. If memory serves, this is played at both the start and end of the dash move.

Tan_dash_start.gif

Coop: Thanks. I'm still not sure how I feel about the guitar (again, we'll see how it looks in the run). I've been thinking: if play controls interrupt the animation, the timing will be less of an issue, which is good on the gameplay side. But if we do go with the guitar (I know I'm repeating myself a little here) we'll have to put the guitar in each sprite, the charging guitar in each sprite, and a firing animation in each sprite, effectively multiplying our workload thrice over. :sad: The guitar idea is sweet, and in-keeping with Tan's design, but I'm just not sure I want to work that hard on this.

friendlyHunter: Please understand that I say this with all due respect: :banghead:

Heh, sorry... I know how hard it is to draw hands, especially hands in a cool pose that are 7 pixels tall - but I'm just saying, the hand looks rather awkward to me on a light background, especially considering it's the focus of the entire sprite. If you don't want suggestions though I can shut up :tomatoface:

In all honesty, I WOULD like to take a stab at camel-toe-ifying the boots on all the frames and making some other adjustments - call me crazy, but without the details she's just not quite giving me that 4-tan vibe :cry:

Coop: Thanks. I'm still not sure how I feel about the guitar (again, we'll see how it looks in the run). I've been thinking: if play controls interrupt the animation, the timing will be less of an issue, which is good on the gameplay side. But if we do go with the guitar (I know I'm repeating myself a little here) we'll have to put the guitar in each sprite, the charging guitar in each sprite, and a firing animation in each sprite, effectively multiplying our workload thrice over. :sad: The guitar idea is sweet, and in-keeping with Tan's design, but I'm just not sure I want to work that hard on this.

If it has to be thrown out, then so be it. Don't give yourself an aneurysm or something trying to figure out how to include it if it's proving to be too much to work in. Just pretend I didn't submit anything, and something a lot simpler can be figured out once you get the remaining Tan4 sprites done... something that doesn't involve editing any sprites. In the mean time, I'll start tinkering with the turtle boss sprite.

Possible solution: shooting a charged shot could momentarily "stun" you for a moment (like all the attacks in Smash Bros), at which point the guitar suddenly appears, fires, and disappears. She could do that classic "jumping with a guitar" pose, so that the animation works for both aerial and ground scenarios (but not for sliding). One set of animations, interesting strategical element for charging - done!

Here we go: thumb_Absolute_150_5017.jpg

[Edit]

Or even one aerial guitar shot, and one ground guitar shot - that'd only be two copies of the guitar animation (and the Coop's already made the ground version). If it's gonna be fast though, might be better if she doesn't move the guitar (or, only moves it once).

Jeez...I just shut both you guys down. :? Sorry...I feel like an ass. I'm just trying to be practical about this...

On an lighter note, Coop, have you made any progress on the Nice Shot bullet? I recall you expressed interest in constructing that awesomeness...

fH: ...That's actually not a bad idea. :nicework: We'd have to buff the shot so that it eats all enemy bullets it crosses paths with (or something like that), that way you don't get automatically screwed every time you use it. Wingless, what do you think?

Jeez...I just shut both you guys down. :? Sorry...I feel like an ass.

Don't. Some ideas work, some don't. My charge idea fell into the latter category. And so, we move on.

On an lighter note, Coop, have you made any progress on the Nice Shot bullet? I recall you expressed interest in constructing that awesomeness...

Haven't started anything. I was working on the background and getting it wrapped up before I moved on to anything else. I'll try coming up something either later today or tomorrow.

Edit: Final take with my guitar shot idea...

Tan4ChargeNiceShot3.gif

It takes roughly two-thirds of a second for the entire thing to animate at the 30fps this mini game is being programmed to run at (for the moment). The charging is represented by the same kind of "orbs coming inward" thing like in the MMX game. This stuff would then only need an airborne set of sprites for the firing (which the landing sprites could cut off if needed without looking odd), and a standing set of sprites (which is basically done with the above). The penalty for using the charged shot could be two things...

- You'd have to be in the air to fire it while moving forwards or backwards (and Tan4 could stop briefly in the air when she fires).

- When you fire it while running on the ground, your character stops in place to shoot it.

This would eliminate any possible animation issues with firing while running, and add a little strategy to its usage.

Thoughts? If it still seems to be too much, I'll shut up and drop all aspects of the idea altogether.

Jeez...I just shut both you guys down. :? Sorry...I feel like an ass. I'm just trying to be practical about this...

fH: ...That's actually not a bad idea. :nicework: We'd have to buff the shot so that it eats all enemy bullets it crosses paths with (or something like that), that way you don't get automatically screwed every time you use it. Wingless, what do you think?

shoot that idea down like it's an American infidel.

I can just cut frames here and there or do what the original X did where a charge of X seconds yields a small blast, Y seconds a larger blast.

Hoookay. Here's the checklist as far as the engine's concerned.

Running. Done

Idling. Done.

Dashing. In progress

- Dashing works, but I need to fine tune the limiter on it so you can't Dash ad infinitum nor can you bust out another Dash immediately

Shooting. Done.

Jumping. Incomplete

Charged shot. Incomplete

Hitting something. Incomplete

Getting hit. Incomplete

Hoookay. Here's the checklist as far as the engine's concerned.

Running. Done

Idling. Done.

Dashing. In progress

- Dashing works, but I need to fine tune the limiter on it so you can't Dash ad infinitum nor can you bust out another Dash immediately

Shooting. Done.

Jumping. Incomplete

Charged shot. Incomplete

Hitting something. Incomplete

Getting hit. Incomplete

I think your forgeting death animation...Wait OCR-Tan can't die...forget I said anything :)

Seriously though a samus like death animation would be cool but it's more work so I know it's out of the question.

A cleaned up charge shot with some extra touches...

Tan4ChargeNiceShot3a.gif

And here's my (slightly clearer) idea for using the charge shot...

-On the Ground-

When you release the button, she comes to a stop to shoot. If you fire when she's running, she stops in place to fire.

-In the Air-

When you release the button, she stops in place in mid-air and fires. Afterwards, she drops straight down to the ground and lands in a normal standing pose.

This usage would eliminate the problems with her firing it while running, and it would simplify the mid-air usage of the shot. With the current ground shot done basically, all that would be needed, are sprites with her legs replaced by the legs used in one of her jumping/mid-air sprites (something I could do with no problem once spuzz gets those particular sprites done). Her upper body and guitar could stay virtually the same as the upper body and guitar in the ground shot.

How does that sound?