FRUITY LOOPS 101 - PLEASE direct -ALL- FL questions here

starla

Shadow's completely right and Xelebes is completely wrong in this case. The menu that you see in the image above is the Snap-To menu, and sets what note length FL sticks in by default when you draw a note into the piano roll. One step is 24 ticks, a 1/2 step (typically a 32nd note) is 12 ticks, and a 1/4 step (typically a 64th note) is 6 ticks. 128th notes, following suit, are 3 ticks.

I very very very very very very very rarely use the method of double-clicking on individual notes to fix their lengths. I mess with the Snap-To drop-down menu an average of 5123157628025 times in the making of each song.

I tried that method and felt sick to the stomach. I prefer that 5.16*10^24 click method over that one... and even then I don't revert to that method. I use sheetmusic software for the very purpose of implementing 32nd and 64th notes.

Edit - some people don't have the fortune of recording their music input. Like I, after my soundcard for some reason just stopped accepting the drivers for my MIDI controller and there is nothing I can do. (Even using an uninstaller in safe mode.)

I tried that method and felt sick to the stomach. I prefer that 5.16*10^24 click method over that one... and even then I don't revert to that method. I use sheetmusic software for the very purpose of implementing 32nd and 64th notes.

Well I'm not sure how it could bother you to adjust the snap so you can create smaller notes on-the-fly. I don't see anything sucky about that.

Just use the chopper...jeezus.

Make a note.

Highlight it.

Press CTRL+U.

Adjust the knob.

Your note will be chopped into smaller pieces.

Delete and move as necessary.

:roll:

Yeah... I've only used that on drums though... don't use it for melodic purposes for some reason.

For "slurring", use slides mentioned in your manual.

For crescendos and decrescendos, go into the piano roll (assuming you are dealing with MIDI data here) and you'll see two things. One for the notes length and pitch (bars going horizontally) and velocity (bars going going vertically).

Velocity = volume of which the key is played. As you might infer, the x axis is time and y axis is volume. I'm sure you can guess the rest of the work.

For crescendos and decrescendos, go into the piano roll (assuming you are dealing with MIDI data here) and you'll see two things. One for the notes length and pitch (bars going horizontally) and velocity (bars going going vertically).

Velocity = volume of which the key is played. As you might infer, the x axis is time and y axis is volume. I'm sure you can guess the rest of the work.

Xelebes, that only works if you're crescendoing from note to note. If you want single, sustained note to crescendo, use the pitch bend function.

First, make your note; then, one quarter beat after the attack of the note, put a pitchbend note right on top of the note you wrote. Change the velocity of the first note to the initial velocity you want the note to attack at, and set the pitchbend's note to the velocity you want the note to end with.

(Pitchbend notes are selectable by selecting the small triange button near the color selection in the piano roll)

Xelebes, that only works if you're crescendoing from note to note. If you want single, sustained note to crescendo,

I knew that. If he wants a growing note, he would probably called for a tenuto or a volume fade-in or out.

Yeah... probably.

You just gotta keep experimenting with timing, playing with the organ settings (assuming your using a VSTi for the organ.) I haven't listen to the song... but I'm gonna make a better response.

Edit -

And...

Add some reverb and some eq to get it that dark feeling.

I have a quick question . When exporting a wav file from Fruity Loops , what would be the best bitrate and depth to convert with? Also , what would be the best sampler interpolation to render a wav between Linear , 6-point hermite or the other available options. I would assume that more is better , but does it really make that much a difference? THX in advance.

When exporting a wav file from Fruity Loops , what would be the best bitrate and depth to convert with?

I think you have the right idea (atleast, from the way I see it - too). The higher quality you go, the less it makes a noticable difference - I guess it just depends how picky you are. ;)

Some people I know hate downloading mp3s that are less than 128-160kbs; but I could go down to 56 or even 8 for some things... you just gotta use your imagination for the rest - lol.

Is it possible to apply a swing factor via Fruity Loops?

The shuffle function in the step sequencer window. Though, it only shuffles the 16th beat, which is only good for swing hounse but not great for actual swing since the swing is on the eighth note, not on the sixteenth note.

Is it possible to apply a swing factor via Fruity Loops?

The shuffle function in the step sequencer window. Though, it only shuffles the 16th beat, which is only good for swing hounse but not great for actual swing since the swing is on the eighth note, not on the sixteenth note.

*shakes own head in disgust*

Then what's the point.....what's the point....

And I had a Storm Eagle jazz remix that sounded great on Finale with a swing applied, but it can't export as a MIDI with the swing. This makes me cry. This makes me cry a lot.

I am extremely n00bish so please don't burn me at the stake for my question:

How do I implement some soundfonts I downloaded? I got VSTs working, but no amount of helpfiles or forum threads have helped with .sf2's.

EDIT: I found the soundfont folder in the Fruityloops directory (Data/plugins/soundfonts) and I used them. Then I saved, exited the program, and came back and found they'd all been linked instead to something called Nineteen?! Wtf am I doing wrong?