Söldner-X: Himmelsstürmer

DarkeSword

A new "Euro-shmup" is always welcome, but $49.90 is a bit high for a retro genre like this. Gradius V and R-Type Final were professionally made shmups by well known and respected companies with a good track record in the genre... and they were only $29.99 at release. So S-X:H seems to be a bit in the overcharge range, considering there's no demo, and the people making it are... untested.

Of course, we are talking about Play-Asia, who are notorious for jacking up prices on everything.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

It's a good game. It has a decidedly "Euroshmup" feel (a life bar, some inertia on the ship, weapons that start brutally weak, rather long, etc.), but the graphics are well done, the music is good, and the challenge level is pretty tough. It's worth $10 to be sure.

Just don't forget to grab the patch so you can adjust the controls to your liking.

this is one of the reasons I still feel a PS3 would be worth my money. This and any eventual PSX shmup re-releases.

Soldner-X has been out for the PC for months, and you can play PS1 shmups on a PC just fine via emulation and a decent controller. Why spend the $500+ for a PS3 in hopes of games being re-released (which you'll then have to buy as well), when you can just spend that $500+ and get those games now, and enjoy them long before they might (key word there) be put on PSN?

Soldner-X has been out for the PC for months, and you can play PS1 shmups on a PC just fine via emulation and a decent controller. Why spend the $500+ for a PS3 in hopes of games being re-released (which you'll then have to buy as well), when you can just spend that $500+ and get those games now, and enjoy them long before they might (key word there) be put on PSN?

I don't have nor will I ever get a PC. I also enjoy buying my games. Also it's ONE of the reasons :) I also want Valkyria Chronicles, LittleBigPlanet and a bunch of other stuff.

I believe that's what I said you could do :-P

Damnit :'( but you also said something about emulators and whatnot :)

Aw, why all the hate, Anso.

It's a thug-thing yo

Ahh, dear, naive Anso.

You've HAD ONE ALL ALONG!!!

Okay, I'll be honest, I'm just not that interested in gaming on a computer :D

In other news Söldner X has gotten som bad reviews.. it's not that high on my list anymre :3

In other news Söldner X has gotten som bad reviews.. it's not that high on my list anymre :3

It only got bad reviews because casual players can't handle the difficulty.

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ps3/soldnerxhimmelssturmer

http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3171740

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/938/938649p1.html

Games Radar

Here's a comparison...

Gradius V gameplay

Subterranean Animism

Finally Solder X

I say all games have such varying difficulties that most regular players simply can not fathom or deal with. I'd say unless you're really into shmups, Soldner X is perhaps not for you.

If you have a PS2 try finding Gradius V :)!!

It only got bad reviews because casual players can't handle the difficulty.

I say all games have such varying difficulties that most regular players simply can not fathom or deal with. I'd say unless you're really into shmups, Soldner X is perhaps not for you.

If you have a PS2 try finding Gradius V :)!!

I call bullshit. It's because it has certain euroshmup tendencies like unbalanced damage (you vs. enemies and vice versa), uneven tempo, detailed but busy graphics obscuring enemies/projectiles and general tastelessness :) Also life-bar based gameplay. Omega Five got fun when that went away :D From what I've seen it also lacks the unique enemy/bullet-patterns of a good shmup. This is generally "throw a bunch of enemies at them", at least that's the impression I get from the videos. R-Type and R-Type II, now THAT's gamedesign.

Also, I'm really into shmups :D. I have Gradius I-V, all R-Type games and so on and so on but I can see where some of the reveiwers are getting their complaints from. I will obviously give it more thought when I get a PS3 but as I said, not at the top of my list.

2. KILL U!

Upon further searching, as well as unintentional derailment, WINE seems to be the best solution for those not using windows at all

I ran the Windows based games in Linux just fine with Wine using the Nvidia proprietary drivers installed and no extra tinkering around was necessary.

----

most Touhou games were reported to work with little problems in WINE.

Give WINE a try