Japanese Arcades and Why I need an intervention...

Brushfire

I really love the Gundam game. My friends and me routinely go and stay at the arcade all day just to play this game. We win some, we lose some, but after the day is done, a Captain, two 1st Lieutenants, and two 2nd Lieutenants are wiser and more pissed off than ever on how many more people have better Robots than us. I myself pilot the MS-06F-2 Zaku II (F2) (Earth Side) and am really close to unlocking the RX-78-2 Gundam. My wingman Devon flys the RGM-79G GM Command, Neil flys the RGM-79D GM Cold Climate Type and is trying to unlock the RX-79[G] Ez8 Gundam Ez8, and Jake flys the RGM-79[E] GM Type E. I tried using a Mid-Range type but I don't like them too much. I will stick with the short range and keep one fighting.

As for Aquarian Age Alternative, I have seen people play that game with all of the precision of a nuerosurgeon. It was quite a site to behold. Unfortunatly I can't read the cards so I am not so good.

Oh God do I ever want to play. That's actually the nerdiest and best thing ever. I'd probably go with a Close-Combat or Short-Range unit given my playing style in most videogames (all guns blazing, baby!), though Sniper units interest me as well. I'd be particularly interested in using a MS-14A Gelgoog or an RX Gundam unit (probably the RX-78-2, given my liking to mechs used by main characters) for Short Range, and for Close Combat, definitely the RGM-79FP GM Striker, RX-79[G] Ez8 Gundam Ez8, or MS-07B-3 Gouf Custom.

Holy crap, even I almost don't understand what I just wrote. This shows my dedication to wanting to play Japanese arcade games. TT-TT

Wait....

I'm not o' dems. I don't want to be Japanese at all. I don't even like to watch a whole lot of anime. I think the last Gundam show I watched was 0083 on Adult Swim in like 2001. If anything I prefer the Simpsons over any anime by a long shot. I admit I originally had weeaboo tenancies before I came to Japan but after living here I have found that the historical culture is much more appealing than the Otaku culture. So that being said, I still find it awesome that there is a store in the mall called and I quote:

"The Mighty Soxer"

You guys are gonna love my story. I'm a high school English teacher and I work at this one school that I'd say is 50% gamers. I have students sneaking up on me in the hallways and pretending to hold me up like their Snake. And everybody loves it when I make jokes about Sephiroth or Mega Man. And pretty much ALL of them play Guilty Gear and they were SO happy when they found out that their new ALT (me) was a big Guilty Gear fan too. They all go to the arcades together and have little Guilty Gear Accent Core tournaments and stuff. It's so damn sweet! So I've never tried the card typr arcade games. I'd like to though.

See we didn't have kick ass teachers like that in my highschool. On the Guilty Gear subject it was pretty awesome when some Japanese guy was playing against the computer and then he got to the last fight my friend Mike challenged him and beat him. Then the guy gave the nastiest look I have ever seen when he peered over the top of the cabinet.

See we didn't have kick ass teachers like that in my highschool. On the Guilty Gear subject it was pretty awesome when some Japanese guy was playing against the computer and then he got to the last fight my friend Mike challenged him and beat him. Then the guy gave the nastiest look I have ever seen when he peered over the top of the cabinet.

That reminds me of this one episode of my Yu-Gi-Oh manga where Yugi goes to the arcade and beats this guy who is turtling the shit out of people and then that guy stands up over his machine, sees who defeated him, and proceeds to beat little Yugi up.

And it is a proven fact that if I lived anywhere near a decent arcade, I would degenerate into a broke hobo. The one time I visited the arcade at the Springfield mall with my friend I blew a good $30 and I would have no doubt spent more if my friend hadn't drug me out of the place.

The aracde I went to had a Tekken 5 machine, and I must say it is a thing of beauty; It had an lcd or plasma screen on both sides as well as surround sound and two joypads on both sides of the booth.

The aracde I went to had a Tekken 5 machine, and I must say it is a thing of beauty; It had an lcd or plasma screen on both sides as well as surround sound and two joypads on both sides of the booth.

Did it also have the big screen that showed the match? I went to the Segaworld in Hachinohe and they had a 20 foot screen for Tekken 5 and Virtua Fighter 5 and it was glorious.

I'm glad you thought I was a cool teacher. hahaha. On the note of Guilty Gear. Back when it was just Guilty Gear XX days, I lived in Okinawa and I played at the arcade as Millia or Jam and this dude on the other side challenged me and it was a fairly even battle but in the end he used some pretty nice counter attack techniques with Baiken and defeated me. I got up and smiled and bowed at the dude. that was cool!

OK so I just got back from the arcade. I gave AAA a try and much to my chagrin the game is like Street Fighter in which your TUTORIAL match gets interrupted for a real one. So I will probably never win a game in that uhh.... game.

On the MSG:BotB side, I am now a Lt. Colonel in the 9th MS Team. I got promoted twice for no obvious reason. Let the good times roll guys!!!

OK so I just got back from the arcade. I gave AAA a try and much to my chagrin the game is like Street Fighter in which your TUTORIAL match gets interrupted for a real one. So I will probably never win a game in that uhh.... game.

On the MSG:BotB side, I am now a Lt. Colonel in the 9th MS Team. I got promoted twice for no obvious reason. Let the good times roll guys!!!

Maybe you should search up a proper tutorial for Aquarian Age before venturing into the arcade. Couldn't hurt, for sure.

What is the customization in MSG:BotB like anyway? I saw on the card that you seem to have your own custom symbol for your platoon or something. Customization in any game is a big deal for me, whether it be a small detail like a platoon symbol, or large details like character creation.

Also, that comic is from the Perry Bible Fellowship. Search it up, it's an awesome webcomic (though some comics are fairly NSFW).

Maybe you should search up a proper tutorial for Aquarian Age before venturing into the arcade. Couldn't hurt, for sure.

What is the customization in MSG:BotB like anyway? I saw on the card that you seem to have your own custom symbol for your platoon or something. Customization in any game is a big deal for me, whether it be a small detail like a platoon symbol, or large details like character creation.

I have looked and looked for a tutorial on it but there were only one of the Japanese language variety. As far it goes I have really craptastic cards anyway so I could only win against the computer. AAA offers character customization. MSG on the other hand the customization (aside from the platoon symbol ) is all geared towards weapons, armor , or mobility.

Sounds good. I wish we had some better machines at our arcade out here. Only card-giving one, like I said, is the Tekken 5 one for record-tracking and character customization options. MvC2...Used to have Soul Calibur and Soul Calibur II machines, but those eventually broke down. Now all that's there besides T5 and MvC2 is...*shudder*...In The Groove 2. Don't get me wrong, I used to play DDR, But goddamn are the people here freaks.

Sounds good. I wish we had some better machines at our arcade out here. Only card-giving one, like I said, is the Tekken 5 one for record-tracking and character customization options. MvC2...Used to have Soul Calibur and Soul Calibur II machines, but those eventually broke down. Now all that's there besides T5 and MvC2 is...*shudder*...In The Groove 2. Don't get me wrong, I used to play DDR, But goddamn are the people here freaks.

I know the feeling on that one Ultra. Here in Japan the Supernova machines didn't suck as bad as the ones in America. They are thankfully absent of any and all Kelly Clarkson. Im gonna upload my vids detailing my MSG: BotB escapades after I get off work for lunch so you can see how fun and frustrating it can be.

We used to have a DDR Extreme machine that I used to play on, but it broke and they ended up copping out for an In The Groove 2 machine. Let it be known that Starcade is just as cheap as the arcades you find out in the boondocks. Luckily I've gotten into arcade shooters a bit more, because with House of the Dead III and Ghost Squad, I at least have something to play. :(

I wish our arcade would pick up a Guilty Gear XX Accent Core machine, but those things are hella expensive. Plus really, the people I know, plus one guy we don't, play Guilty Gear. At least bring back a Street Fighter II machine!

Over in my arcade they are still rockin a back to back cabinet of the Midnight Carnival. We got Metal Slug X, Some Gundam Seed game, Beatmania IIDX 14, DrumMania and Guitar Freaks V4, GashaaaaaaaaN!! (Actual spelling and puncuation, its some ball throwing game), Afterburner Climax, MSG: BotB, AAA, Strikers 1999 (My friend Devon calls it "Shoot Things 5"), Silent Hill Arcade, Time Crisis 2-4, Pop'n Music 12 I think..., Mario Kart GP 2, Initial D 4th Stage, Wangan Midnight 3, Quiz Magic Academy 3, and Konami Majhong.

But it is not without the typical arcade follies. For instance there is the punched in Punch Machine, or the MvC2 cabinet that has a broken button so you cant switch in or out.

All in all tho it is a great arcade. It's not nearly as big as some of the arcades in Tokyo but it'll do.

With that much of a selection, it rivals my arcade by about nine-thousand-and-one times. I've never actually seen a back-to-back cabinet in person, and the fact that you have a Guilty Gear machine at all pleases me. I'd settle for XX if I couldn't get Accent Core. Lord knows the XX set is probably a bargain bin item for arcades. Bemani rhythm games, even just a DDR machine, are must in any arcade.

Hah! You guys have Silent Hill: The Arcade? I'm actually stoked to try that game just for the fact that it's so completely unfitting of the Silent Hill series. Mario Kart GP 2 would be a really fun game to have here - everybody friggin' loves Mario. Why Nintendo(/Namco, since they produced it and whatnot) doesn't bring it over is beyond me.

The Silent Hill Arcade is pretty much a House of the Dead clone, but you can use the E-Amuzement pass on it to save your progress and start back up again after you die and don't have any money left to continue. On the other hand it doesn't save your score >__<.

I think one of my favorite games I have yet to play is one of the Jan-Ken-Pon machines that can only be described as "Crazy Animal Fantasy Fist Fight." In it you play as an animal and you fight other animals. The demo has a lion fighting a shark(!).