Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations: Lots of Colons

Steben

So. I know all you kids with your fancy shmancy imports have had this game for a couple months now, but I held out for the domestic release.

I'm currently sick in bed with a bad cold, so I've had nothing better to do today than watch football and play Phoenix Wright. And for all this work, I've barely gotten past the first real case. (Mia's tutorial case against Payne actually wasn't as disposable as the first two games' tutorials, but still, I'm not gonna count it.)

So, thus far, my conclusion? This game seems harder than the previous two! Which came as a surprise, but I suppose that's not entirely a bad thing - these games are meant to be played in succession, since they have an ongoing storyline, and this game has more references to the previous games than Justice for All did.

My biggest complaint is the same I had for the previous game. Often I'll have the correct contradiction in mind, but the game wants me to use a slightly different piece of evidence to prove it, or I'll present them in the wrong order, or something. And that makes me sad, because Udgey keeps penalizing me because he's too dumb to figure out my argument. :(

I'm currently just starting the last trial. I found the last bit of the third trial a little difficult, but for some reason I had tons of trouble on the fourth trial! I've had problems before in this series, but that was just crazy how incompetent I felt :lol:.

I held out for the domestic release to support the US sales this time around. It's an awesome game: I was playing all weekend. Got the last case to finish up.

I can't wait for Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney and all its DS specific stuff. Rise from the Ashes was my favorite case in the first game, and AJ:AA is suppose to be a whole GAME full of that stuff.

Hey Steben, I hope you didn't completely ignore everything in the first case, pal.

Thanks for the tip, Gumshoe. ;) Nah, I definitely kept up with it all.

That last case... wow. That was the greatest thing in Ace Attorney history. I definitely stayed up about three hours later than I meant to last night so I could finish it. Now I gotta hope that they localize Apollo Justice sooner, rather than later.

Also, I have to admit there's one point in the last case that was the most frustrating part of the whole game. I knew exactly what was wrong with the witness's testimony, but when I objected to the piece of dialog that best matched the contradicting evidence, it didn't work. I had to look up in GameFAQs that apparently I had to present it at a less directly offending portion of testimony. Ah well.

So. Overall. The first, fourth, and fifth cases of the game were amazing; they told a pretty engrossing story that bring the trilogy to a proper end. However, I didn't think the second or third cases were nearly as interesting as any of the cases in the first two games. But like I said, the last hours of the game made it worth the while.

Also, if Capcom wants, I'll volunteer to playtest the game to look for grammatical errors and typos. I could do a much better job than whoever they got to do the past couple games, although Trials and Tribulations was a big improvement over Justice for All.

Also, I have to admit there's one point in the last case that was the most frustrating part of the whole game. I knew exactly what was wrong with the witness's testimony, but when I objected to the piece of dialog that best matched the contradicting evidence, it didn't work. I had to look up in GameFAQs that apparently I had to present it at a less directly offending portion of testimony. Ah well.

Haha, I know EXACTLY which part of the game you're talking about.

I dunno, there was a SPARTAAAAA reference in T&T, so I think they're doing pretty good with the localization. Only a couple typos this time around, but nothing too bad

EDIT:

Yeah, you're just going to have to wait and see, pal. Ain't nobody going to spoil it for you, but you'll know when it happens.

I dunno, there was a SPARTAAAAA reference in T&T, so I think they're doing pretty good with the localization. Only a couple typos this time around, but nothing too bad

The localization was pretty good with the past two games, humor-wise. (I remember Maya telling someone that they were the man now, dog, in Justice for All.) But the second one had a ridiculous number of typos, in the main story even - not just in optional dialog. The third one was much improved, but there were still some obvious errors.

But yeah. There were a few laugh out loud moments in Trials and Tribulations. I definitely got a couple strange looks from my roommates when I was playing the game while lying on the living room couch, and would bust out laughing every so often. The "This is madness!" "No Maya, this is SPARDA." line was definitely one of those. :D

It occurs to me that we do have something to look forward to, before Apollo Justice even. Capcom's releasing Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law for the Wii this February. THAT should be awesome.

There was another reference somewhere that I thought was rip-roaring hilarious, but I can't quite remember what it was. It was after the SPARDA one, tho'. Probably fifth case.

The weird thing is that I don't remember any typos in JFA, but I caught the ones in T&T quick. Strange.

Haven't gotten to the Sparta reference, but I laughed my ass off when Phoenix got nailed by the cup of coffee.

Haha. That reminds me of something that happens near the end of the game. Those of you who've played it know what I'm talking about. I won't say what it is, because I'd hate to spoil it. :-D

The localization was pretty good with the past two games, humor-wise. (I remember Maya telling someone that they were the man now, dog, in Justice for All.)
Haven't started the third one yet, but my favorite localization moment from the first 2 was making the Stell Samaurai's slogan "For Great Justice." Dropped my stylus behind the bed over that one.
I can't wait for Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney and all its DS specific stuff. Rise from the Ashes was my favorite case in the first game, and AJ:AA is suppose to be a whole GAME full of that stuff.
I can't wait either.

The reason they didn't do anything like that again was that the first 3 PW (or Gyakuten Saiban) games were originally released for the GBA in Japan in 2001, 2002 and 2004. I've been poking around those ROMs for the hell of it lately; the experience on the DS is definitely much better.

Being the huge fan of narratives that I am, I personally can't wait to see how the story will continue. I have a feeling we'll be seeing a lot of familiar faces, and I can't wait to see how they update the looks.

Not really. Apollo Justice is mostly a new cast, with two or three cameos from the Phoenix Wright storyline.