Schala WIP..again

HoboKa

I like all the 303 stuff going on in there. Sure, the soundscape gets a little cluttered when the melody comes in and its hard to make it out, but you can work on that and balance it out better. Now, what you need to improve are your drums, the samples are just all wrong for the style imho. Then again, don't just listen to me, get a little more feedback.

I'll preface my comments by saying that this is remarkably better than your other material.

Production wise, you have a good sound. I have to disagree with ambient. I think your drums, for the most part, are just fine. The kick has a good attack and feel to it. The hi-hats sound good as well. The snare is what gets me. Your track is a sweeping/soaring mix, and you have an overly dry snare in there than really stands out. Now, these drums samples could be FL presets for all I know. Having never used FL (being a Mac user) I really couldn't tell you if they are.

Your rhythmic synths sound good and help the mix with what I like to call, the "chair factor." I.e. a songs ability to make a person dance/jig while they're in their seat.

You need to work with your lead synth, or in other words, the synth playing the main melody that comes in at :40/:41. It has no attack on it, so we can't hear it and it simply blends in with everything else. Find something that pierces the soundscape, but obviously, not in an annoying or painful way. Best suggestion would be to looking into Mono synths (not poly synths) or synths that are labeled as "Lead Synths." Both are designed to be more of an upfront synth. Poly Synths can definitely work as well, but to narrow your search, I would recommend sticking to those 2.

Your rhythm. Techno/House/Rave/Trance/etc. is meant to keep a steady beat that people can follow and dance to. Since it's obvious this is the style your aiming for (whether that's a conscious decision or not) you ought to concentrate on keeping the pattern steady. Here's what I mean.

Assuming that your track starts on the first beat of the first measure (i.e. no pickup notes/beats) you might want to keep all of your transitions on the first beat of each measure. For instance, your song starts out with 8 1/2 measures of music before you kick into the steady beat. This feels very jarring cause people aren't expecting it to start there. Essentially, as a dance track that's being played in a club, you have just thrown off every dancer on the floor...not good. The song ought to kick off with the steady beat on the first beat in measure 9 (i.e. make the intro shorter) or the first beat of measure 10 (extending it out a little further). I know that sounds a little counter intuitive, but here's what it means. You have 8 full measures of music. You get halfway through measure 9 before you start the steady beat, when in reality you ought to start in on the 1 of measure 9 or wait to the 1 of measure 10. If it were me, I would start on on the 1 of measure 9.

Don't get me wrong, playing music on the of beat and doing things unexpected in tracks is perfectly fine, but taking into consideration the type of track your making, you might want to keep away from stuff like that. The way you've done it feels a bit jarring and misleading.

Another prime example is your big snare build up that starts at :36. You've started it a full beat too early. You start it on beat 4 of that measure which causes it to end on the 4 of another measure, essentially ending it too early. Push everything from the start of that snare part and everything after back by one beat, and you'll hear what I'm talking about.

This is a much better start, but be very aware of your beat by making sure you can tap it out with your foot without feeling disconnected.

Thanks Alexhhhh :D never thought I'd hear a comment such as that from you, heh.

Anyways, I'll try and do what you said Tweak - I've decided to change my drum roll and I've fixed the volumes, tweaked some channels, EQ'd etc. I'll send an update soon...I got a virus on my comp so, hopefully I can fix it before I have to resort to plan B: reformat :(

Getting better and better day by day yo! I wonder if all your clutter issues could be taken care of with just a bunch of EQ work.

I really wonder how the heck you made this. Did you type all these parts out note by note on a staff with your mouse or is it a transformation thing?

I also really wonder why you always stick the word, "Jimmeh" on EVERYTHING you make. Hahaha!

Getting better and better day by day yo! I wonder if all your clutter issues could be taken care of with just a bunch of EQ work.

I really wonder how the heck you made this. Did you type all these parts out note by note on a staff with your mouse or is it a transformation thing?

I also really wonder why you always stick the word, "Jimmeh" on EVERYTHING you make. Hahaha!

I don't know Jahan lol, guess I'm retarded that way. Anyways, as for the "making" part, I only use a mouse...no keyboard yet, and I use the copy/paste feature a lot for drums ;-) - maybe a little too much :S.

Hobo, where's the source?

Got my headphones somewhere else so I can't give much in-depth production feedback... which isn't my forte anyway.

Arrangementwise, this works. Just, how are you gonna continue it? Where is it going after this?

And original vs source ratio... Dude... Either I looked at the wrong source, or you've taken some way underlying textures and turned those into this, or... not.

Good to see the clutter and overcompression got cleared up to some degree. I still don't feel the chord progression, but that's your choice. I do think you shouldn't rely that much on Sytrus presets, because I never use Sytrus, and even I was able to recognize some of the synth sounds as Sytrus presets, which doesn't bode well. Also, where's your bass, dude? :/