OCR01301 - *YES* Shining in the Darkness 'Down in the Dungeon Just Creatures and Me'

djpretzel

Hi again,

here's the link:

Remixer name:Taika

Shining In The Darkness is very nostalgic game for me, one of the first Sega games I had. Not the best game ever but when you're 10 years old anything goes.

I decided go for the dungeon theme, which get's looped well, around 100 000 times during the game. Instead of marching in the darkness, like the original, my version is more like trampling, leaping and bleeding in and out of the endless corridors of the dungeon.

(inspired by the near death freezing temperatures here in the northern Finland)

http://www.zophar.net/gym/sitdark.rar - "Dangeon BGM 1"

I'm liking the arrangement here - good variations (particularly the rhythmic ones, like on the melody), solid original/improv stuff. I have no problem with that part. The overall performance (eg. the playing) sounds good to me, but I'm not sure about the production. The guitar might be mixed just a little bit too loud, because you can't hear that much else going on - also, the rapidfire bass drum hits reveal some ridiculous compression going on. Some of the percussive samples, like the opening tambourines, are kinda lofi or at least they don't sound as sharp as the guitar.

I'm a little borderline on this one because I think some of the production values could be better - also, something about the guitar recording just sounds kind of weird compared to the quality of the rest of the mix. It's a bit disconcerting, to be honest, but I can't quite place my finger on what's causing it.

On the other hand, all things considered, this is a fun remix that has a more interpretive arrangement than most guitar remixes we get. I couldn't ask for much more in terms of performance either, and outside of the production issues I noted, the overall execution is good too. So..

YES

nice

right off the bat, you had my attention... i love these sorts of intros, grabs you because its so distant and then pummels you.

the guitar playing is very nice - the performance is loose and yet accurate... a sign of good things as far as i'm concerned. the intensity is great. when you play the phrases like around the 1 minute mark, the intensity speaks for itself. your style is very reminiscent of dave mustaine - i'm almost willing to bet you listen to a sizeable amount of megadeth because its all over this arrangement. the lead is very early-thrash and the rhythm playing is totally megadeth

the drum work is awesome, too - very smart drum writing. i think the production on the drums might have used a little better presence... at times it totally in the back. like zircon mentioned, they're kinda lofi and aren't as sharp as the guitar... which..

has phenomenal tone; very reminiscent of the one that i fiddle with most of the time so i have personal liking to it. i think the guitar is well-produced, its precisely where it needs to be in the mix as far as i'm concerned and the rhythm guitars are recorded well and panned properly for a good solid presence.

the solo is tight. all i'm gonna say about that.

the ending rocks, dude. haha - i was loving it.

this is an easy one for me. YES

I thought this was decent stuff; not overly engaging but well-handled nonetheless. The drums were always over-the-top with power, which was generally fine, though the drums got overbearing and unbalanced with the rest of the music at times (1:21-1:41). Fairly straightforward, yet solid arrangement, featuring good ideas to alter the rhythm like zirc mentioned. Cool ending at 2:30. Feels like an original bit tacked onto the end, but it's actually arranged from the source as well. Nice touch, bro. Welcome aboard.

YES