OCR03205 - *YES* Final Fantasy 9 'Late Night Lindblum'

DragonAvenger

REMIX NAME: Late Night Lindblum

PART OF FINAL FANTASY IX REMIX PROJECT! HOLD UNTIL POSTED!

Contact Info

Remixer names: Mattias Häggström Gerdt
ReMix Info

Name of game ReMixed: Final Fantasy IX
Name of individual song(s) ReMixed: Lindblum
Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc.
I remember playing FFIX and coming to Lindblum for the first time... There was so much to do! So many NPCs to talk to, so many games of Quad Mist to play, so many exclamation marks in corners and mashing the X button.

This remix started off with me wondering what a wicked night club in Lindblum would sound like. Strobe lights, dancefloor and giant subwoofers! All powered by mist of course. Then I did what I always do and left the remix alone for too long. When I came back to it I had an entirely different idea! Slick jazz in a smoke filled night club, plenty of Oglop Cocktails and drinks spiced with Ether.

So for the low low price of one remix I give you two takes on "Lindblum by Night".

LINK: 
-------------------

Edited by Liontamer

• 2 weeks later...

I can hear the source right away. The first 45 seconds are really clear source to me. After that it's a little sparse source-wise, so I did a breakdown of what I heard:

remix 0:00-0:45 is source 0:00-0:32 (45 seconds)

remix 0:45-1:15 kick buildup

remix 1:15-1:48 is source 1:30-1:35 (33 seconds)

remix 1:48-2:04 seems to be original (I might be missing something)

remix 2:04-2:33 lead playing source 1:30-1:45 (29 seconds)

remix 2:33-2:40 piano playing source 1:30-1:35 (7 seconds)

remix 2:47-2:54 piano playing source 1:30-1:35 (7 seconds)

remix 3:01-3:15 and 3:28-3:30 bassline playing source 0:00-0:09 (16 seconds)

It works out to 137 seconds of source in a 228 second mix, or 60% source. A bit close, but it's there for me. What say you, Stopwatch Larry?

As for the mix itself, I LOVE IT. I'm totally chair dancing to this. I'm not a huge fan of that kick buildup at 0:45 because the kick is just... so... clicky. A little bit of filtering on that kick would make it fit better, the idea is solid though. The clicky kick works perfectly when the mix is full.

Dang this mix is groovy and well produced/mixed. Excellent glitching. I love the jazz outro, it is equally well done and super well transitioned, but it contains no source at all (as far as I can tell, and I'm really scrutinizing it) and I'm a bit concerned about that. This mix really pushes the boundary of source usage, and could get some no's based on that, but I'm going to give it the nod because it is so creative and groovus maximus.

YES

edit: just listened again, and I think maybe the bassline in the jazz outro (starting at 3:01) is playing a *very* interpreted version of the source melody from 0:00-0:09. I have revised my source usage breakdown.

another edit: this is how I'd like that kick buildup to sound

Edited by Chimpazilla

• 1 month later...

Mmmmm, intro is nice and crunchy.

Thanks to Kristina for the excellent breakdown. Very creative arrangement. Great blend of instruments here, all of them placed nicely in the soundscape. Good use of panning to really make the complex drum sections come alive (like near the end).

Not much more to say here, except I'm really enjoying this take on Lindblum.

YES

• 2 months later...

Kris had a pretty good breakdown. I was more conservative on the timestamping, but still wound up on the right side of 50%.

:00-:13, :15-44.5, 1:15-1:31.5, 1:33.5-1:47, 1:49-1:50.5, 2:03-2:15.5, 2:19.25-2:32, 2:33.5-2:40.5, 2:47.75-2:53.75, 3:02-3:05.5, 3:10-3:18.75, 3:20-3:20.75, 3:24.5-3:25.75, 3:27-3:27.75

127.25 seconds of a 228-second track, or 55.8% overt source usage

The track sounded needlessly lossy to me, like it was missing high-end clarity, but other than that, I really enjoyed Mattias's take on "Lindblum", as well as the cameo of "The Place I'll Return to Someday" at 3:02, which was a nice touch.

I'd love to hear a remastered version before the album drops, but if not, it's still a strong arrangement.

YES

• 3 weeks later...