OCR03213 - *YES* Super Mario Bros. 2 'Shiitake Kingdom' *RESUB*

Chimpazilla

previous decision

(Resbmission)

• Name of game(s) arranged : Mario Bros 2
  • Name of arrangement : Shiitake Kingdom
  • Name of individual song(s) arranged : Player Select
  • Your own comments about the mix: I think this is the first ReMix I ever tried making, about 3 or 4 years ago. Decided to rework on it and resubmit with great help from the forums. I used instruments such as the Erhu, Chinese Guzheng and Japanese koto to create the oriental soundscape. Hope you guys enjoy.

Awesome source to remix!  I absolutely love the instrument set and this arrangement.  The bass is a touch too loud in the mid-lows but other than the bass, I'm finding things mixed well.  The piano sounds somewhat rigid, but it doesn't bother me too much since there is such varied instrumentation.  Flute lead starting at 1:04 is too quiet.  

Overall I'm finding this mix cute, charming, well performed, and so creative.  Any little crits I might have don't hold this back for me.

YES

Source tune was used in spades, but in case anyone was wondering:

:03.5-:41.5, 1:03.75-1:15.75, 1:18.75-1:30, 1:32-1:34.75, 1:42.75-1:51.75, 1:53.5-1:58.75, 2:00.5-2:28

Never heard the original version, but this was pretty strong. Some of the instrumentation would never pass as real (e.g. pizz strings, koto articulations), but the samples were used very well and came off very expressive. Some could say the soundscape was thin, but I thought it was more delicate than thin and the background was filled out nicely.

Nice work, Adrian! Welcome aboard! :-)

YES

Yup, not much to add to what's been said.  The bass is a bit strong, but not to the point of being too distracting IMO.  

Felt like the woodwind lead at 1:04 was the weakest part of this mix as it's quite soft and has a pretty tiny tone to it.

Liked the upbeat feel and the plucking leads really brought a lot of character to the piece.  Good stuff.

YES