Your Hidden Gems?

Touchstone

52 minutes ago, Amphibious said:

Shinobi 3 is one of my favourite games of all time.  People always talk about the Revenge of Shinobi, which has a pretty rad Yuzo Koshiro soundtrack to be fair.  But much less love is given to Shinobi 3.  I found it had a much stronger impact on me growing up.  The game plays AMAZINGLY WELL and holds up excellent to this day, and the music and gameplay both feel way more intense and satisfying than the Revenge of Shinobi.  Plus the animations and general level of detail are awesome.  The soundtrack also uses this motif throughout the game that just helps tie everything together so well.

Yeah I know the game is on several Genesis collections, and there's the odd remix done for it, but for some reason I don't see a lot of people talking about it despite that.  It's just kind of there, yet I think its one of the most well designed action platformers out there even to this day.  It deserves so much more love.

The reboot on PS2 was pretty rad too

Subterrania was this amazing objective based gravity-is-a-thing spaceship shooter, never played anything else like it. It was like a 2d Jungle Strike set in space that didn't suck.
Then there was Crusader of Centy, which played something like a cross between a single character Final Fantasy, Metroid, and Streets of Rage.

Gaiaraes was a kickass R-Type styled game where you could steal weapons from enemy ships. This game was long for a shmup too, and had the usual trippy level design complete with black holes and giant animals/people.
Gain Ground was... Interesting. You got different characters with different weapons and the goal was to either eliminate all enemies on each screen or somehow get all your characters to the exit on each level. Infuriatingly difficult at times.
General Chaos was also a tactical sorta-isometric game but you controlled a whole squad at once in a sort of turn based combat.
Mega Turrican was a really long and artistically amazing sidescrolling platformer that was kinda like Ecco in hitting on some surreal/disturbing story tones told through level design.
Ranger-X was another sidescrolling shooter but with the interesting twist that you controlled two different mechs simultaneously, which could interact with each other. The levels were generally somewhat non-linear and objective based.
Robocop vs The Terminator was on the surface a plain old sidescrolling platformer/shooter, but there were a ridiculous number of weapons and once you uncensored the game with a cheat code things got a little crazy with blood and stripperrific outfits.

14 hours ago, Amphibious said:

Shinobi 3 is one of my favourite games of all time.  People always talk about the Revenge of Shinobi, which has a pretty rad Yuzo Koshiro soundtrack to be fair.  But much less love is given to Shinobi 3.  I found it had a much stronger impact on me growing up.  The game plays AMAZINGLY WELL and holds up excellent to this day, and the music and gameplay both feel way more intense and satisfying than the Revenge of Shinobi.  Plus the animations and general level of detail are awesome.  The soundtrack also uses this motif throughout the game that just helps tie everything together so well.

Yeah I know the game is on several Genesis collections, and there's the odd remix done for it, but for some reason I don't see a lot of people talking about it despite that.  It's just kind of there, yet I think its one of the most well designed action platformers out there even to this day.  It deserves so much more love.

Shinobi 3 is probably one of my favorite Genesis games, right up there with Sonic 3 & Knuckles. The art and music are great, the storyline conveyed surprisingly well through level design alone, and the gameplay is top notch. Imho it's one of those games that shows just how much a competent team can get out of the Genesis.

36 minutes ago, Shadowe said:

General Chaos was also a tactical sorta-isometric game but you controlled a whole squad at once in a sort of turn based combat.

This is a childhood favorite of mine. High replay value with friends. Too bad the kickstarter game wasn't promising enough to get funded. But I think the main problem was poor video marketing.