Chimpazilla

Remixer Name: AMT

Name: Austin Thresher
Email: 
UserID: 9177

Games: Sonic Adventure 2 & Sonic 2
Name: Broken Legs
Songs: Metal Harbor, Sky Chase Zone

I'm pretty sure I made this for one of the Sonic remix contests and never submitted it. I stumbled across it today and decided it couldn't hurt to send it in. The bass was super fun to play, my vocals are pretty rough, but I think it holds up. If it makes it through I can write something more inspiring.

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

• Liontamer changed the title to 2015/12/12 - Sonic Adventure 2 & Sonic the Hedgehog 2 'Broken Legs'

I wish the vocals were more prominent in the mix. They're mostly legible, but they do feel like they're being overcrowded, and it's definitely pulling the track down overall. Also some out of tune notes that could stand to be fixed up, mostly on the lower end of the spectrum. Guitar work sounds pretty good, the clean electric is very clear, which stand a bit in contrast with the vocals. I feel like the snare could use a little more snap, and the kick a little more oomph. 

I'm a little unsure of some of the source usage, especially towards the end. I'd love someone to help me out with the Sky Chase Zone. There's the bridge section, but I'm not hearing it elsewhere.

I think this has a really good start, and really just needs some fixups. A breakdown of the source usage would be super nice as well to help seal the deal on the arrangement aspect. Hope to hear this again!

NO (resubmit)

This is pretty cool, but I agree with Deia that it's not there yet and could be with some small fixes on the production side.  The vocals are a bit rough sometimes, but my main problem with them is that they aren't upfront and clear enough.  Sometimes they get lost in the guitars which could be fixed with some proper eqing but overall I think they just need to be mixed in better.  The drums felt a bit thin, specially the snare, which could be a mixing problem as well.  I liked the bass performance, very sadv2.  

The adaptation works very well, and the arrangement is solid.  I would like to hear a revision regardless, and possibly more detail about the source usage.  From what I hear I think it's enough though.  Re-recording the vocals so they are less rocky would be appreciated as well.  As mentioned above my main issue is the production, so I would like to hear a more polished version.

NO (resubmit)

• Sir_NutS changed the title to 2015/12/12 - (2N) Sonic Adventure 2 & Sonic the Hedgehog 2 'Broken Legs'
  • 3 weeks later...

Very nice bass work, and a great arrangement - the source is pretty clear, and it fits very well in this style. Lyrics are very cool - reminds me a lot of Offspring in both content and vocal style. The performance leave me wanting, though - you tend to land on notes flat. Most of it is alright, but you need to fix your missed notes (like at 0:26 "Lost" and 0:54 "romances"). The balance of your vocals with the rest of the track are also skewed - they should be mixed more in the foreground than they are.

I'm pretty much parroting what the others have said, but there isn't much more to say on it, since the rest is great. Personally I feel the drums are appropriate for the style, so they don't bother me at all, but making them a little more defined wouldn't hurt the piece, either. Yeah, fix the vocal performance and mix them in the foreground more and it'll be an easy pass for me.

NO

• Liontamer changed the title to *NO* Sonic Adventure 2 & Sonic the Hedgehog 2 'Broken Legs'
  • Liontamer locked this topic