This competition is based on the rules of the classic TOMC (Thematic Original Music Competition).
The CMC (Conceptual Music Competition) is designed so that each participant enters a piece of music based on a set theme. The participants take the theme and interpret it as they will to come up with something that fits. Any style can work, as long as it portrays a sense of what the theme is. During the run of TOMC, the idea was to make it fit an RPG feel. In CMC, you shouldn't necessarily limit yourself to that. Feel free to be imaginative!
Each successive theme will be chosen by the winner of the previous competition. For example, say the theme of the last competition, CMC 10, was "Fire" and the winner, Nigel, submitted a piece that knocked the socks off of everyone, so he won. Nigel then gets to decide the theme for CMC 11.
CMC 3: Snow
Autumn has passed and winter descends upon the world. Snow has fallen upon the fields, transforming them into seas of white, and upon the trees, turning them to living clouds sitting low on the horizon.
There are 3 entries for this round...
Abadoss - "Vast Seas of White"
"Open stretches of space
Broken only by trees and rocks
What once was green and vibrant
Now covered in its shroud
As if laid to rest
Wisps and clouds circle aimlessly
Over the frozen expanse
In the distance, a lone hill
Draped in frosted brambles
Stands out from the fields
Stranded and alone
In vast seas of white."
Reaktorz0 - "Crossing the Lands of the Frozen Squid"
"One of your teammates has been captured by a giant zombie snowman, and you must go through monster infested snowy plains to rescue him. This is the song that plays while you cross the plains."
Bren - "The Snow King's Land"
"This is a snow kingdom different than many others featured in video games. I thought since usually the ruler of such a place is cold and heartless, that this time, it could be ruled by a benevolent king who is loved by all of his people and people of other lands. The city is built from ice and snow, above and below ground, with shining caverns and magnificent sculptures and buildings."
Text results and critiquesAudio results
Voters will be allowed to pick a first place (3 points) and any number of honorary mentions (1 point). Only one set of votes from any one voter will be accepted and a person cannot vote for any one piece more than once. Corrections to votes, from the original voter only, will be accepted, but corrections will void the previous votes. Basically, a voter can vote and correct the vote, but only the final form of that vote will be counted. Send all votes to Abadoss by PM. Please include any and all constructive critiques (not to be confused with bashing) about them with your votes as well, so that there's always a sense of growth in the artform. If you wish to remain anonymous, just state so in your PM. Thanks.The voting period will last from the moment the entries are posted in the thread to the Saturday of the following week. The voting period for this round ends on January 13, so be sure to spend some time really listening to the pieces.Any participant in the competition can vote, but not for their own pieces. However, in an effort to encourage voting among participants, any participant who votes will have 2 points added to their voting score.
- Each piece must be originally composed for this competition. Arrangements and remixes will not be accepted. (Pieces composed by the participant prior to the competition will not be accepted.)
- Each piece must be 2:00 or longer and match the competition theme.
- Only one entry per person. Collaborations will be allowed, but each collaborator may not submit any other pieces. (This also means that a person cannot collaborate on two or more different pieces at the same time.)
- A link to the entry piece must be PMed to Abadoss prior to the deadline set for each competition. DO NOT POST THE LINK IN THE THREAD! However, feel free to post in the WIP:Other forum.
- Important: Each file must be labelled accordingly: Composer_Name_-_Composition_Title_CMC#.mp3
(For example, if Magnus King submits a piece called "Heavy Laden with Ketchup" to CMC 10, then his filename would be: Magnus_King_-_Heavy_Laden_with_Ketchup_CMC10.mp3)
- MP3 file format is required. Know that even OGG will need to be converted into MP3. (If someone is unable to do so themselves, Abadoss would be willing and able to do it for them.)
- Entries should be accompanied by a description and/or story to help listeners understand what the piece is about. (Not required, though.)
- All entries must be submitted by Saturday, January 6, 2006 at 11:59 PM - PST, GMT-8.
Good luck and have fun!
Previous CMCs: http://www.warnerpac...l/kkeyn/CMC.htm