OCRA-0001 - Super Metroid: Relics of the Chozo

Protricity

Super Metroid: Relics of the Chozo - Feedback

This thread is for the purposes of feedback and answering questions in regards to the RotC Project. Please post your questions, comments, reviews in this thread.

Note: I appologize for the loss of the other thread. It was my fault for not paying attention to how close it was coming to being pruned from Wip. Should have been moved here a long time ago.

Relics of the Chozo is a project aimed at producing a collective and collaborative interpretation of the soundtrack of Super Metroid. However, each individual piece, despite being a unique standalone work of its own, is also a part of a larger scheme arranged to create an ambience of continuity; one large song, if you will. The project could be thought of in terms of a progression of events/sentiments/stages of every relevant theme from Super Metroid for the Super Nintendo.

Updates

4/3/04 - Update: RotC Wave CD Album Torrent back online!

So like, sorry for the downtime. It was suprnova.org's fault. Anyway, now I'm perminently hosted on http://bt.ocremix.org, so no more downtime. Now you can all get back to enjoying the cd in 44khz 16bit goodness!

http://bt.ocremix.org/files/SMProject-Relics_of_the_Chozo_CD.rar.torrent

Links

The Website

The Files

The Artists

The FAQ

How to play ogg vorbis files

Have fun.

• 1 month later...

No replies? How is that possible...this is an awesome collection of mixes...great for sitting back and relaxing. I especially like "Full of Life", "So it Begins" "Noumenon" and "The Galaxy is at Peace"

Im surprised you didnt slap on "Zebesian Midnight" :D

Anyway, great work all who contributed to this great project. And to anyone who likes/loves/is obsessed and/or infatuated with the Super Metroid soundtrack, I highly recommend this.

• 1 month later...

Hi Im kinda slow and dont understand things easily. Or maybe its just that im new.

Anyway I love The Metroid Collection.

And I love the music. I really love these remixes that has been done and I am really wanting to own like the cd. Is this possible?

If so I would really like to buy it.

Thanks

Ib05~HAC

Hi Im kinda slow and dont understand things easily. Or maybe its just that im new.

Anyway I love The Metroid Collection.

And I love the music. I really love these remixes that has been done and I am really wanting to own like the cd. Is this possible?

If so I would really like to buy it.

Thanks

Ib05~HAC

Not going to happen. Selling music that does not belong to us for profit is against our ideals for the most part.

You may download the actual cd and burn it in all its full-quality 44khz 16bit wonder. The torrent file is available on the website. You can paste cd art onto it if that really floats your boat (theres a nero and EZCD art cover print available), but for the most part, that cd you burn will sound as good as anything you could possibly buy. Thats a promise.

This is a very nice album; I just downloaded the full-quality WAV torrent. However, I couldn't help but notice clipping in "So It Begins" (sporadically, starting at 1:07) and much more noticably in "Traversing the Beyond" (1:00 to 1:16). There might be more spots, but I haven't listened all they way through yet.

Admittedly this is an amateur project, but if you're treating this release like a CD album & even providing PCM-quality tracks, I wish you'd have taken the time to ensure that the signal doesn't clip.

Aside from those technicalities, the ambient flowing nature of the project definitely appeals to me. Nice work all ye who contributed to this.

Protricity did his best to eliminate the clipping, but apparently it was specific only to certain setups (for example, some people had their equalizer turned on), so it was impossible for him to troubleshoot every possible cause. I'm sure he'd appreciate any suggestions on avoiding this kind of thing from happening in the future, though.

This is a very nice album; I just downloaded the full-quality WAV torrent. However, I couldn't help but notice clipping in "So It Begins" (sporadically, starting at 1:07) and much more noticably in "Traversing the Beyond" (1:00 to 1:16). There might be more spots, but I haven't listened all they way through yet.

Admittedly this is an amateur project, but if you're treating this release like a CD album & even providing PCM-quality tracks, I wish you'd have taken the time to ensure that the signal doesn't clip.

Aside from those technicalities, the ambient flowing nature of the project definitely appeals to me. Nice work all ye who contributed to this.

Firstly, there is no clipping. I've checked it to a rather minute detail. I can pretty much guarentee the problem is with some factor in your system. For example, you can read up on the ogg vorbis issues with this project on the main page. Thats usually the most common reason people may hear clipping.

I am quite sure that my playback chain is not the source of clipping in this case. For one, I am listening from the WAV torrent, not Ogg Vorbis files. Additionally, I ReplayGained the audio (which scaled the album by -6.72 dB) and I have WinAmp's equalizer disabled. And my Sennheiser HD 280 Pro 'phones could hardly be considered prone to generating artifacts.

Perhaps it's not actual clipping. All I know is that I definitely hear heavy clipping-like distortion whenever the bass drum & cymbals are hit together from 1:00 to 1:20 of "Traversing The Beyond". Maybe the levels were too high for the compressor to deal with it well? I dunno.

As for "So It Begins", perhaps it's static & pops from the electric guitar recording. The other instruments seem to mask it pretty well, so at least it's not glaringly obvious.

Perhaps it's not actual clipping. All I know is that I definitely hear heavy clipping-like distortion whenever the bass drum & cymbals are hit together from 1:00 to 1:20 of "Traversing The Beyond". Maybe the levels were too high for the compressor to deal with it well? I dunno.

The bass here is indeed very strong. On my system it comes out clear. Doesn't clip. All I can suggest is that your speakers probably cannot handle the dynamic range of frequencies present in that 20 second section. Lots of bass, lots of trebel, pretty loud. Lots of systems can't handle that combination. I'd also suggest listening to that part in headphones. It should sound far clearer.

This is an excellent project that I've had on my computer since soon after it was finished. Too bad it didn't get more response in this thread.

It actually got some 12 pages of response. Unfortunately that thread was automatically pruned. We created this thread more recently and naturally it hasn't gotten much response as this project is a year old.

• 2 weeks later...

Somehow - and I have no idea how - I missed this project. With the completion of Kong in Concert this was mentioned somewhere I was reading and I just downloaded it and just now finished listening through it all the way.

All I can say is WOW! Thank you so much to all involved in this, it is simply amazing, and something I am sure to listen to again and again.

Again, THANK YOU!

• 3 weeks later...

I love the fact that Super Metroid received a complete remix treatment, but I didn't care too much for the product. Did you? The whole soundtrack was very homogenous. Almost every piece started with a fade-in of tinny drums, followed by a watered-down version of the melody. And that's my biggest criticism -- melody. Just because it's a "remix" doesn't mean you have to transplant the melody into a different style that doesn't quite fit. I would've liked to see more enhancements, rather than unmemorable interpretive pieces.

The main theme of Super Metroid only made a brief cameo in the ending piece. About twenty seconds was devoted to that awesome melody, and it was represented by a stacatto synth string. The rest of the song was filled with the same dreary ambiance of the previous tracks.

The DKC remix project turned out more enjoyable, and I think the reason was that there was a greater variety of composers. Many of the tracks retained the elements that made their originals great songs.

• 1 month later...

I don't post much here, but I read a lot, and have been around OCRemix for a long time(since 2000 or 2001). I was just recently able to download Relics of the Chozo, and I must say that all of the artists who contributed to this project should be commended for their excellent work.

Fan-freakin-tastic work. I'm listening to it right now.

The only thing I see wrong is that I didn't download it sooner.

• 3 weeks later...