OCR02228 - Final Fantasy V "Edge of Valor"

djpretzel

• 7 months later...

Dramatic and a bit melancholy, yet heroic, this starts out really grand before picking up tempo and texture, it builds so slow I wasn't sure it would build at all. If I get an RPG boat, this will definitely be my sailing music. :-)

The transition to the slower section wasn't exactly seamless, but it was solid enough that I felt something new was happening in the same song, rather than a new song altogether starting.

Sample use if pretty nice, with some good swels, and while I would appreciate some stronger articulations, considering the samples used, this is super excellent. The horn hits right before the final chorus were great, and the finale was very strong. A very nice, powerful and expansive track.

Really, Nutritious, if you turned your orchestral arrangements into actual food, it really would be unbelievably nutritious. :tomatoface:

No, but bad joke aside, this is a fantastic arrangement, and it really captures the essence of the theme quite well. This makes me want to go off into battle with a suit of armor and a horse, knowing that what awaits me back home is enough to return.

The Fire Ship. In my opinion, not really one of the most memorable tracks in FF5, but I have confidence in Nutritious in making something stellar out of it.

And indeed it starts well with the beautiful slow attacking strings, then when the timpani and woodwinds follow the mood starts escalating itself and starts going into something more heroic in nature. The arrangement manages to stick fairly close to the source material, though there's been some lovely deviated parts like the charming glockenspiel-led intermission at 1:55, almost bearing an atmospheric similarity to some of the gentler natures of some of Sugiyama's ending pieces for the Dragon Quest series; and even then the build backup to the source in a different key in 3:15 managed to transition strongly whilst fitting appropriately with the movie-score-like ideals. Definitely something quite expansive.

I know this might've been an old track though, but if there's something that kind of rubs me the wrong way it's the not-quite-as-realised brass parts in comparison to the rest of the instrumentation. I've known for years that they in particular are hard to get done right, and while the notation feels fine, it's this raelisation that should be looked into to really get them to fit within a lively orchestrated setting.

But you're Nutritious, and I have trust in you with keeping on working within the genre and working with these samples to their full potential. :)

As a result, we've got a solid arrangement of an otherwise understated source from the game. With a lot of your project commitments over the past 2 years you've been really showing yourself cohesively around these parts, and I hope you'll get to keep showing your colors as a remixer in the not-so-distant future :)

Wow, amazing orchestral piece here. It's got a nice solid, steady build to it and delivers on the grand feeling, complete with a smooth slowdown. The bass and drums sounded great and the entire ReMix had a score-like charm to it. Wonderful heroic arrangement that has it's reflective moments, which pulled the whole thing together. Very nice.

Holy crap, yes.

So epic. X_X

When I played through FFV and heard this theme, I liked it a bunch, but you totally drove it through the roof. It sounded like a march before, now it sounds like the prologue to a big battle (as cheesy and cliche as it sounds). I like your use of samples as well, and I really hope I can understand how to write orchestral like this someday. I'm not good with writing separate parts for different sections, but in here, all of your sections work harmoniously to create bigger parts that resemble the source.

This is one of my favorites on the album. :nicework:

• 2 weeks later...

I've said it before. I'll say it again. I LOVE THIS WHOLE GODDAMN ALBUM

The opening is very epic and immediately has a sense of purpose.

This is a strict metaphor for a Knight. They must immediately be at the top of their game and must have a sense of purpose.

This album is full of musical metaphors. The percussion is what stands out for me the most however.

At 1:50 it is all stripped bare and reveals the calm and gentle side to a Knight.

I can't praise any of the tracks on this album enough. Really... I can't.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR02228 - Final Fantasy V "Edge of Valor"