OCR02307 - Super Dodge Ball "Dodge Mahal"

djpretzel

Another one of those tracks that still blows my mind whenever I listen to it. THANK YOU KATIE for keeping on Prot to finish this, and of course thanks to Prot for helping out with the project and bringing out the big guns with some awesome instrumentalists. And to think, this is only the second-biggest collab on the album!

You're welcome. I enjoyed listening to him working on it through the whole thing, I was excited about it, which is probably what he meant, and I had to nag him a couple times too :P. I have no idea how he viewed the song as a "mess" like he says, then again I view all my songs as a mess (even after finishing them) lol.

ALSO JEFF EDWARD BALL IS THE BEST! He plays some violin here but he's an extremely talented guy and you should check his stuff out!

Stevo really gave a lot to this guitar, as it wasn't the easiest part to learn, so yeah you did great!

And Lukas sure whipped out those flutes really fast. His flute solo at the end really closed the lid very well I think, and actually lead into the next track on the album which I hear is quite nice ;J

Nice shameless self-promotion, Katie. :razz: Anyway...

I admit, in my early days at OCR I was a HUGE Protricity fangirl, and even now I still hold high regards towards his influence on the site. So to see him write something on Around the World may not have been much of a surprise due to his involvment in Tales, but it was definitely worthwhile to see him return here again.

What I appreciate about his style the most is that for many of his ideas they tend to go by a rhapsodic nature, capturing several different essences at once while going through. "Dodge Mahal" is no different, with its starting from typical Prot affair in regards to the varied drum writing and synth/guitar use (props there Stevo for your contrubitions!), before going towards some creative variations on the theme in steadily more downbeat styles and capturing more of the Indian wilderness soundscape.

In particular when going later and later into the track, bustatunez's flute performance throughout - though a little dry in parts but may be more of a nitpick - really lifts up this progression tenfold, with some very expressive work throughout that further brings the atmosphere to life. Excellent stuff.

In a way though, the flow could also be seen as a double-edged sword. While it does indeed fit Walan's original creative decision in a highly-polished way, one may not help but think that most of the energy towards the track were emphasized near the beginning, therefore somehow starting to lose its punch as the writing became increasingly steady.

I do however understand that there were difficulties in writing the track, and for any artist it may be seen as a huge burden just to get out there and finish it. But I am glad in the end that you did (mostly under Katie's persuasion), because as it stood I saw it as one of the best team themes on the album. Nice work from all four of you :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I gotta say, when I saw Protricity, Level 99, and bustatunez on the list, I knew I was going to love this. And a nice debut for Jeff as well. You guys nailed this theme so hard. The Indian influence was very prevalent and I loved the addition of the violin. Big ups for getting a little rock in there as well, making it a harder hitting ethnic masterpiece. Nice change up around the 3:35 mark and the ending was pretty cool. Recommended for sure.

This is a pretty big 5 man collab. This shows off some nice ethnic flairs to it, and definitely makes me think of an indian chase of some sort. I think the mixing sounds off here, as well as possible overcompression? It sounds like some of the instruments are a bit cluttered and it hurts the ethnic sound from sounding full. The song meanders quite a bit which is ok, although not as much my cup of tea. Good job overall, although I would love to hear a cleaned up version of this.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR02307 - Super Dodge Ball "Dodge Mahal"