Old 12-10-2002, 06:11 PM
Dan Hibiki (+50)

I am quite the big fan of pieces that maintain just enough of the original melody but still go on to be very unique. You are a very good piano player; knowing that you improvised this is damn incredible. Thanks for the great song--I look forward to your next release with a whole lot of eagerness

Great ending also, by the way.

Please register to remove the above advertisement.
Old 12-10-2002, 08:46 PM
Goomba (+100)

Send a message via MSN to Kajed Berd
I listened to this mix yesterday, and I was quite astonished to find that it had lulled me to sleep... :D

That's just how well made and beautiful this piece is, and it goes to show you, improv IS an art... :o

So well done Gutz!!

Kajed Berd

Be wary of the peanuts...they have untold secrets!

If Barbie is so popular...why do you have to buy her friends?
Old 12-11-2002, 12:59 AM

The person who did that tune sure does have a lot of talent at piano.Yet my favorite remix of Chrono cross!

-Welcome to the gamers world
Old 12-11-2002, 06:29 AM

Okay, so this is absolutely gorgeous. At first I was disappointed when it didn't go into the fast part of Time's Scar, but that didn't last long. In fact, considering the feel of the piece, I am far more pleased at the amazing improvisation that runs away with the melody than the original score could have hoped to make me. A fabulous remix, and one of my favorites on this site, easy.

Kick ass, gutzalpus.
Old 12-12-2002, 01:02 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Daniel Ocean
Can you at least post the chord progression? I believe the first chord is E minor 9th, but I think it's detuned one half-step lower, so it might be E flat minor 9th. Can you clarify?
Old 12-12-2002, 02:07 PM
Bad Dude (+500)

Send a message via ICQ to Eden
Someone else in this thread called it soothing and I think that's the right word for this piece... makes me calm inside, smiling and dreaming away.
Beautiful piece...
thanks for sharing.
Old 12-12-2002, 10:56 PM
Jeremy Garren
Eggplant Wizard (+300)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

This piece reminded me how far I have yet to go as a pianist. I can play some tricky pieces, but I certainly cannot yet compose or improvise anything like this piece. The sheer amount of musical variation upon this one theme totally blew me away. I can certainly hear how improv makes more sense than direct composition, especially considering the very "human" feel to the rhythm and tone, but this improv sounds as if created by a master composer.

...sigh...have to keep practicing...

...Oh, yeah. Thanks for such an incredible remix, gutzalpus! Keep it up!:o

Old 12-13-2002, 02:47 AM
Justin Straziante
Mother Brain (+4000)

Send a message via MSN to Straziante Send a message via Skype™ to Straziante
Uhm maybe I'm missing something, but this sounded very planned out beforehand, and I still have a hard time buying that this is "live". The sound quality sounds like it's a MIDI piano track. The only thing that supports this is the drag on tempo at the end of some phrases. I'm not saying this is a bad song, it's just not "the greatest" as everyone claims. Still highly recommended.
Old 12-13-2002, 09:38 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Daniel Ocean
I'm sure he knew the basic structure of the song before he started, but there's some obvious (and inordinately kickass) improv going on there.

OK, QUICK POLL: how many people picked up their respective instruments and started practicing after hearing this piece?

EDIT: OK, I've figured out the arpeggio accompaniment of the intro. It's played on a guitar, but it's ok for any instrument.

I'll post it if there are any takers. Well? WELL?
Old 12-13-2002, 10:34 PM

Send a message via AIM to Tregan
gutzalpus - Time's New Scar

It's beautiful. There's nothing like a beautifully-performed piano piece. This epitomizes OC Piano Remixes and really raises the bar for anyone thinking of doing a piano-oriented piece. Melodic, somber, uplifting, the transitions are extreme, yet flawless.

Definitely one of the best.

Tags
live-recording, piano, solo