MMX Boomer Kawanker...er Kawanger :D

HoboKa

I would choose different leads and add more zircon-y rhythmic electronic stuff. Otherwise its a surprisingly good start.

hehe yeah just throwing random ideas around lol, so I'll definitely change stuff up for the leads and I'll make them less midi-ripp-ish. As for the zircon influence I dare not try to imitate that over rated shmuck :P (jk he's 1 of my fav's), but my drumming skills and samples aren't really worth the attempt of doing so :P

ARRANGEMENT / INTERPRETATION

[X] Too conservative - sticks too close to the source

[ ] Too liberal - not enough connections to the source (too much original writing)

[ ] Too much direct sampling from original game audio

[ ] Borrows heavily from non-source material (eg. a theme from a movie)

PRODUCTION

[ ] Too loud

[X] Too quiet - Drums only!

[ ] Low-quality samples

[ ] Unrealistic sequencing

[ ] Generic/cliche sound choices

[X] Drums have no energy

[ ] Overcompressed (pumping/no dynamics)

[ ] Mixing is muddy (eg. too many sounds in the same range)

PERFORMANCE (live recorded audio/MIDI parts)

[ ] Timing not tight enough

[ ] Wrong notes, general sloppiness

[ ] Poorly recorded

[ ] Bad intonation

STRUCTURE

[ ] Lacks coherence overall (no "flow")

[X] Not enough changes in sounds (eg. static texture, not dynamic enough)

[ ] Pace too plodding

[X] Too repetitive

[X] Too short

[X] Abrupt ending

PERSONAL COMMENTS (positive feedback, specifics on checklist criticisms, any other thoughts)

Megaman X has one of my favorite soundtracks ever, this being in the top 5 tunes within that game. Seems almost like a complete cover of the original tune from start to finish with little given to interpreting the actual melody. The synthy-bleeps that run throughout the backing of the entire track can get a bit old after a while. A bit of conservatism on its use might be beneficial.

Drums don't seem to fit the "vibe" that the tune is giving off; they're too quiet, too reserved, and don't vary a whole lot with each part of the tune.

Lead synth sounds a little "harsh" to my ears, but that may be the wrong vocabulary to describe what I am feeling; perhaps droning? Just not enough oomph behind it.

Someone had a wip of that here ages ago, I remember it vaguely. I've tried this source myself.

The orchestra hits... Play them one octave up. If they lose bass, play BOTH. I think I had four octaves of orchestra hits for a track some time ago. It'll give them more punch and have them break through the soundscape better.

The backing beeping thing... Your version isn't bad, but I'd like to hear the original more.

0:34-0:47, you've done something weird with the time sig here (like ignoring it). It's not a bad idea, but it needs more work, it's easy for the listener to lose track of where the beat it.

Drums need to be more interesting, methinks. More bass drum, an alternate or layered second hihat/shaker track, something. Snare needs more punch during the sections where the orchestra hit is playing, it's being drowned.

Source is there, tho not as I remember it. There's enough of your original take on it, tho it's a bit chaotic. Clean it up, you have a few notes straying out of key, messy use of the orchestra hits, those time sig issues that should sound more deliberate... Clean it up and give it more attitude. :D

ARRANGEMENT / INTERPRETATION

[X] Too conservative - sticks too close to the source

[ ] Too liberal - not enough connections to the source (too much original writing)

[ ] Too much direct sampling from original game audio

[ ] Borrows heavily from non-source material (eg. a theme from a movie)

PRODUCTION

[ ] Too loud

[X] Too quiet - Drums only!

[ ] Low-quality samples

[ ] Unrealistic sequencing

[ ] Generic/cliche sound choices

[X] Drums have no energy

[ ] Overcompressed (pumping/no dynamics)

[ ] Mixing is muddy (eg. too many sounds in the same range)

PERFORMANCE (live recorded audio/MIDI parts)

[ ] Timing not tight enough

[ ] Wrong notes, general sloppiness

[ ] Poorly recorded

[ ] Bad intonation

STRUCTURE

[ ] Lacks coherence overall (no "flow")

[X] Not enough changes in sounds (eg. static texture, not dynamic enough)

[ ] Pace too plodding

[X] Too repetitive

[X] Too short

[X] Abrupt ending

PERSONAL COMMENTS (positive feedback, specifics on checklist criticisms, any other thoughts)

Megaman X has one of my favorite soundtracks ever, this being in the top 5 tunes within that game. Seems almost like a complete cover of the original tune from start to finish with little given to interpreting the actual melody. The synthy-bleeps that run throughout the backing of the entire track can get a bit old after a while. A bit of conservatism on its use might be beneficial.

Drums don't seem to fit the "vibe" that the tune is giving off; they're too quiet, too reserved, and don't vary a whole lot with each part of the tune.

Lead synth sounds a little "harsh" to my ears, but that may be the wrong vocabulary to describe what I am feeling; perhaps droning? Just not enough oomph behind it.

I didn't say I had finished it...and yeah the drums are just a crappy loop i copied and pasted, I'll get to putting them to the time sig. I got real sloppy on this one I'll admit (moreso than usual) - but I thought that you guys might dig the whole trumpet thingy near the end of my wip insofar ><

i like it this idea dude, but im gonna have to agree with the others and say it sticks way to close to the origanal. i listened to it on laptop speakers so i cant give production advice, but the drums are too quiet and repetitive. I really digged the intro and the beeps at the begining, but they need to change later on. good orch hits. good flow. just vary it up a bit.

• 4 weeks later...

Hoboka's remix attempts are always good, even if WIPs.

I like you wish to remix "under-remixed" tracks.

I would have some suggestions for "poorly-remixed-songs" but I would encumber this forum or at least I should post multiple topics at "Requests" subforum LOL :razz: