Any GOOD reason to use ProTools?

You're exactly right. Because I'm the studio manager here and also have connections to the film, radio, and television industry, I must not know anything.....

While I won't argue that midi editing on PT certainly leaves something to be desired, Pro Tools audio editing capabilities are among the strongest on the market.

You also speak as though processing power means nothing. Come back and talk after you've finished mixing sound for a movie or television show when you are working with 150 or more stemmed out tracks.

Processing power is very important, and I have mixed sound for motion pictures, using ProTools HD systems and Nuendo, and I was NOT impressed by ProTools. Sure it could handle any plugin I threw at it (since it was all hardware DSP stuff), but the audio editing was messy, sloppy and not as intuitive as Cubase. And don't even get me started on how bad the MIDI editing is (though I've NEVER had to use MIDI tracks in any of the big time projects I've worked on, which would explain why it's overlooked by the developers). I've worked in studios here in NYC for a while, and recently I've gotten into the industry deeper than ever before, and I can honestly say that the ONLY reason ProTools is the standard is that people feel they have to use it in order to be taken seriously. It's the Les Paul of DAWs. ProTools HD does take it very far in terms of processing power, but that doesn't mean the software itself is worth using. A studio using Cubase or Sonar, stocked with good DSP cards and a well assembled core system would be just as stable as ProTools, but because it'll take some more time for those to catch up in terms of reputation, ProTools will continue to get the most support and will remain most powerful.

Either way, that's the big time studio environment, which most people here will never be a part of, or be interested in. So for the project studio, ProTools M-Powered and all the "lite" versions, are all crap.

I think people should really know what Protools is capable of before they pass it off. Many of you will never have to use 89% of the things it can because lets face it, your just remixing, so a program such as Cubase is perfect. But for any serious industry stuff, Pro tools is number one. It is used by almost any audio institution and most professional sound studios. It has an amazing bus system and its hardware compatibility is unbeatable.

This has to be among the stupidest things ever typed on OCR. First off, I don't know how you "remix" but anyone here who's worth their bandwidth takes time to learn the music they're remixing, transcribes it on their own (no idea why anyone would NOT do this) and uses all the tools their DAW can provide to get the best possible result. Simply importing a midi from VGmusic and changing patches might be good enough for you, but a few of us here are professional musicians who are aware of and capable of using all the features our DAWs have to offer. Most DAWs are capable of the same core functions, and have very similar "bells and whistles", all it comes down to is which does it best, and while that fine line is thinning out between the top quality DAWs (Cubase, Sonar, Logic, hell even FL is catching up), ProTools is NOT getting better, the hardware around it is, but the software itself is still way behind the competition. And it's "you're".

I've worked in studios here in NYC for a while, and recently I've gotten into the industry deeper than ever before, and I can honestly say that the ONLY reason ProTools is the standard is that people feel they have to use it in order to be taken seriously.

Again mate, you're throwing out over generalizations that, quite frankly, you have no way of proving. The fact of the matter is that Digi Design is still very much alive and kicking, producing some incredible products that people ARE BUYING!

Sure, you may not like the interface (I feel the same) but you're not arguing it's effectiveness anymore but rather your personal opinion and taste and you defy anyone to tell you something different. The irony here is that the majority of the industry disagrees with our view of the interface.

I've said it once and I'll say it again: you don't have to like the program to CLEARLY see what an impact it has made and why it's still the industry standard.

Again mate, you're throwing out over generalizations that, quite frankly, you have no way of proving. The fact of the matter is that Digi Design is still very much alive and kicking, producing some incredible products that people ARE BUYING!

Sure, you may not like the interface (I feel the same) but you're not arguing it's effectiveness anymore but rather your personal opinion and taste and you defy anyone to tell you something different. The irony here is that the majority of the industry disagrees with our view of the interface.

I've said it once and I'll say it again: you don't have to like the program to CLEARLY see what an impact it has made and why it's still the industry standard.

I'm not trying to argue that it's NOT as important and established as it is, sorry if I come off that way. All I'm saying is, that the hardware is what deserves praise. Also, ignorance is bliss! Too many producers and engineers have no idea that they have real options, so saying that the industry disagrees is not entirely accurate. You can't tell me that business and marketing have nothing to do with ProTools being the "standard"...

I actually don't think Pro Tools gets marketed that hard these days. When I read magazines like Mix, Recording, or Keyboard, you read about it a lot in interviews and gear lists, but Digi itself isn't the one with the big ads on the back of magazines, for example. That's usually reserved for companies like MOTU. I think the day another company creates as tight a hardware/software combo as Digi has, PT will begin to lose ground. Many people I know prefer using Logic even for multitracking, but the fact that there's no bundled DSP hardware is a minus for a lot of people. It's actually a little baffling why companies like Steinberg haven't created something like that yet.

Steinberg has been slowly getting it's hands into the hardware market since being acquired by Yamaha. They have a USB interface specifically designed for use with Cubase, and they've been expanding their DSP support since Cubase SX, and who knows what massive shit they're plotting in terms of Cubase 5. But I wouldn't hold my breath... they've been known to go against good ideas just for the sake of being German and really angry. But overall, Steinberg seem to be big on the fact that their software works great on third party hardware, and having used Nuendo on a "pimped out" supersystem, I can tell you that if they did come out with a high powered hardware system to support the software, they'd blow DigiDesign right out of the water.