Any GOOD reason to use ProTools?

I think the assumption that "everyone uses ProTools" is a wrong one. ProTools USED to be the industry standard because they were ahead of their time but other programs (especially Logic, possibly Cubase, Sonar, FL etc.) have caught up.

I really don't think anyone here uses ProTools because even the cheapest (M-Powered) version requires a stupid hardware add-on and simply because it just isn't that good of a bargain compared to other options nowadays.

From what I hear its just a generally bitchin' DAW.

I think its a lot more complicated then most, but only because it has so many features. There's nothing really wrong with the DAWs Tensai mentioned though, so I wouldn't waste your money unless you actually have an urgent audiophilic lust for something to sound EXACTLY as you want it.

A lot of mainstream music has been produced in Logic more recently, so I don't know if I would still call it the industry standard, but its definately the industry classic.

The thing about ProTools being the "industry standard" is, ProTools HD is the "industry standard." PTHD is also a minimum investment of 10k. Most major recording and post production studios still use ProTools HD. Why? Not necessarily because it's better than everything else, but many of the engineers have been using it for years. It's what they're familiar with and they probably know it better than the back of their hand. To give it it's dues, it is geared towards and very good at recording and mixing audio (a lot of PT's midi functionality is actually fairly recent and it's still trying to catch up to many of the other major DAWs).

ProTools LE/M-powered on the other hand is a very watered down version of PT. There are many things in it's same budget range that are better and less limiting than it. But there are good reasons to use it.

1) You like and enjoy using PT

2) You want to learn it for whatever reason

3) You frequently need to exchange projects with someone else who uses PT

A lot of studios use ProTools because of its hardware/software integration. It's partially DSP-powered, which, while less relevant today now that we have faster computers, is still very nice. The audio editing really is pretty much unmatched, IMO; it's incredibly powerful in that respect. I've used both HD|2 and HD|3 systems at school as well as Mbox2 systems and even then, the ease of use of the audio editing is apparent.

Surprisingly, I actually prefer PT's MIDI editing to Logic, having used both side by side.

DSP power is even more important these days because audio processing is getting some serious upgrades. Most of the best sounding plugins are DSP only, and a well designed PTHD system is nearly limitless in terms of processing power.

BUT! Keep in mind that DSP processing is not exclusive to ProTools. While their HD systems are insanely powerful and capable, they can be matched by Cubase and Sonar in comparable DSP environments.

Pro tools is still generally considered the standard. Hands down, it is the best for mastering and recording, however if your looking to create midi heavy songs its probably not going to be your first choice.

You're wrong. Protools has been severely outmatched in every aspect of music creation. Sonar and Cubase are both more powerful, easier to use, and easier to integrate, which is why they're becoming the new standard. (Almost every professional I talk to uses Sonar or Cubase/Nuendo).

The only reason people still use protools is because they spent $500,000 on the entire system 15 years ago.

The only reason people still use protools is because they spent $500,000 on the entire system 15 years ago.

Dude, I hate to call you out, but that's a crock of shit.

ProTools, while I may hate the interface and the fact that it doesn't support VST, is still the industry standard. The HD systems are unmatched. The practically limitless processing power of the HD systems are a complete godsend and no other DAW company has been able to create hardware/software as powerful as that.

I may despise the program, but it's the industry standard, both in the past and now, for a reason. People still buy these sinfully expensive Digi Design packages even now. To say, "Protools has been severely outmatched in every aspect of music creation" is a rather bold statement considering that they still remain on top.

I defy you to show me a majority of major projects for film, music, TV, etc. that does not have Pro Tools being used.

If you're looking to get into the music/sound business, learn Pro Tools, you WILL use it.

If you're a hobbyist, go with what you like.

ProTools is VASTLY overrated, and expensive. The only reason it's the industry standard is 15 years ago there wasn't anything else. The only reason studios use these days it cuz they've invested hundreds of thousands of dollars in it.

Either you haven't read the posts in the thread and figured you'd throw in your uninformed opinion, or you did read the posts and thought it would be a good idea to repeat, nearly verbatim, what Snappleman said not 2 posts before yours.

Regardless, prove your statement true. I beg you to try.

"Prove" it? Um, no thanks. :lol:

You make the claim, you provide the evidence, otherwise it's painfully obvious that you're talking out of your ass.

Step away for a moment from the idea that because you can make music with a $99 copy of FL Studio (or even cheaper) you don't have to splurge the big bucks for a PT system.

Even Adobe Audition is more versatile than ProTools right now.

It's apparent to me that you really don't know how Pro Tools works if you can sit there and honestly say that.

Maybe that's a strange form of sarcasm that I'm not picking up on.

You do NOT have to love Pro Tools to be able to see just how effective it is. I may hate using PT, but I have to give credit where it is most certainly due.

Dude, I hate to call you out, but that's a crock of shit.

ProTools, while I may hate the interface and the fact that it doesn't support VST, is still the industry standard. The HD systems are unmatched. The practically limitless processing power of the HD systems are a complete godsend and no other DAW company has been able to create hardware/software as powerful as that.

I may despise the program, but it's the industry standard, both in the past and now, for a reason. People still buy these sinfully expensive Digi Design packages even now. To say, "Protools has been severely outmatched in every aspect of music creation" is a rather bold statement considering that they still remain on top.

I defy you to show me a majority of major projects for film, music, TV, etc. that does not have Pro Tools being used.

If you're looking to get into the music/sound business, learn Pro Tools, you WILL use it.

If you're a hobbyist, go with what you like.

Hahaha, dude, you don't know what you're talking about. The ONLY thing ProTools HD has going for it is processing power. Audio and midi editing are both much better on Cubase, Sonar and Logic. I've worked on feature films, and I am in regular contact with people in the film and video game industry, they almost all use Nuendo or Sonar. Unlike you, I speak from experience.

Unlike you, I speak from experience.

You're exactly right. Because I'm the studio manager here and also have connections to the film, radio, and television industry, I must not know anything.....

While I won't argue that midi editing on PT certainly leaves something to be desired, Pro Tools audio editing capabilities are among the strongest on the market.

You also speak as though processing power means nothing. Come back and talk after you've finished mixing sound for a movie or television show when you are working with 150 or more stemmed out tracks.

Absolutely. PT is pretty much designed for handling huge amounts of audio, and no program I've used does so with such ease. Whereas I hear regular complaints about Cubase & Logic stability issues (and have experienced both first hand), PT is rock-solid. I don't think I've ever had it crash on me or anyone I know in the years I've been here at Drexel, where all the studios are PT.

I think people should really know what Protools is capable of before they pass it off. Many of you will never have to use 89% of the things it can because lets face it, your just remixing, so a program such as Cubase is perfect. But for any serious industry stuff, Pro tools is number one. It is used by almost any audio institution and most professional sound studios. It has an amazing bus system and its hardware compatibility is unbeatable.

I think people should really know what Protools is capable of before they pass it off. Many of you will never have to use 89% of the things it can because lets face it, your just remixing, so a program such as Cubase is perfect.

Ahahahaha. You might as well assume that you'll never use 90% of the stuff in Cubase, either.

It has an amazing bus system and its hardware compatibility is unbeatable.

That's because it's made and supported by the same company, and it advises the owners to not upgrade their computers for a while until they've ironed the bugs out.

ok

pro tools Still IS THE Industry standard. many project studios and small recording studios use cubase and sonar, but the D/A A/D conversion in protools with an HD card is UNMATCHED. so with that said.

If you are doing long recording sessions with multiple clients, the ease of editing in protools and the quick keys (shortcuts) are far superior to cubase/fl. i havent seen fl8 yet but i hear the wave editing has gotten really good. Pro tools is REALLY EXPENSIVE. (thats the only thing wrong with protools, they get you by selling you a TON of HARDWARE!!!)

damn dsp.....