OCR TF2: New Server forthcoming - new server IPs and other stuff

Bahamut

Frogg. Miyako. Psychic murder powers. Discuss.

Having specced Frogg a few times (and talked at length with Aeronaut, who does so quite a bit more often), I can say that he's just incredibly paranoid. Every time he spins around and kills you, there were 10-15 times in the past minute where he turned around and didn't find anything.

You really have to nail him from above, or when you're sure he's 100% distracted.

On an unrelated note, Scaids pinged me today about setting up some games of Hunted. Anybody with rcon be willing to hook us up once we figure out a schedule?

Having specced Frogg a few times (and talked at length with Aeronaut, who does so quite a bit more often), I can say that he's just incredibly paranoid. Every time he spins around and kills you, there were 10-15 times in the past minute where he turned around and didn't find anything.

You really have to nail him from above, or when you're sure he's 100% distracted.

On an unrelated note, Scaids pinged me today about setting up some games of Hunted. Anybody with rcon be willing to hook us up once we figure out a schedule?

I figured that out really quickly, but he turns around so often there's about a 50/50 chance you'll end up on the wrong side of him anyway and get shredded. He's just really, really hard to backstab. And kill in a melee duel, too.

http://ocremix.org/forums/group.php?&do=discuss&groupid=1&discussionid=15&gmid=88#gmessage88

In theory, this is a link to the page with the discussion stuff.

Edit: Tested- In practice it is.

Edit again: also, is it just me, or does this thread go backwards? page 1 is the newest posts and page 7xx is the oldest post?

As strange as it sounds, Frogg is a lot less likely to turn around when he's not playing Heavy. Even if it's another "strong" class like Soldier.

I'm going to have to vote no against this, for three reasons:

1. It requires a server mod. As they say over on the srcds forums: "If you are one of those people who likes to try out a new mod every few days, maybe think about testing on a private server. Players don't normally like to save a Surf server to favorites one week, and a week later it be a Deathmatch. Pick a game type, and go with it. Changing it every few days does not help you build a valuable player base, only temporary players which will probably never play on your server again." Note that this usually doesn't apply to TF2, because TF2 already has several standard game modes built-in. However, it would in this case because of the server mod.

2. It suffers from the same problem A/D ctf does, balance-wise. These two game modes were replaced with a single game mode (payload) for a reason.

3. Speaking of balance... class limits? Seriously? NO

Edit again: also, is it just me, or does this thread go backwards? page 1 is the newest posts and page 7xx is the oldest post?

Your post appears on page 779 on my computer.

As strange as it sounds, Frogg is a lot less likely to turn around when he's not playing Heavy. Even if it's another "strong" class like Soldier.

Heavy is the most vulnerable 'strong' class. Frogg knows this; his paranoia is proof positive of that. When he's playing something else, his mindset shifts. It's logical his behaviour would follow suit.

1. It requires a server mod.

A server mod that can be disabled by default across all maps. This isn't something I imagine we would open up to the general public; just a little something different that some of us would sneak off to RED for now and then.

3. Speaking of balance...

It constrains the default rules of the game in order to provide a different gameplay experience. If you consider that experience unbalanced compared to the original, we won't force you to participate. Just like we don't force anyone to show up for Monday night scrims; once it's set up, this would be opt-in only.

RED is basically derelict at this point. It's used for semi-weekly informal scrimmages, and a watershed from the post-class update chaos. New gamemodes to base community events around would allow a lot more mileage out of the second server.

It wouldn't be Hunted if every class was available to each side. Back in the day the assassination team could only be Sniper's (maybe Spy as well. It's been too long since I played it) and the game played differently since they couldn't take the other team in a straight fight, but I doubt that would ever work now, hence they get a couple more options.

If you guys get the details of where to play worked out then count me in. I'd love to try playing Hunted again. Best time for me is on weekdays after 9pm EST.

I'm going to have to vote no against this, for three reasons:

1. It requires a server mod. As they say over on the srcds forums: "If you are one of those people who likes to try out a new mod every few days, maybe think about testing on a private server. Players don't normally like to save a Surf server to favorites one week, and a week later it be a Deathmatch. Pick a game type, and go with it. Changing it every few days does not help you build a valuable player base, only temporary players which will probably never play on your server again." Note that this usually doesn't apply to TF2, because TF2 already has several standard game modes built-in. However, it would in this case because of the server mod.

In this case I was hoping to try it without any mods installed first for this very reason. As far as building a valuable player base, that wasn't really the intention. I was hoping to get people that we already play with, as they could (Again, blindly assuming) be trusted to follow the rules of the game mode without mods installed.

2. It suffers from the same problem A/D ctf does, balance-wise. These two game modes were replaced with a single game mode (payload) for a reason.

I was hoping to circumvent that in a similar way to the normal scrim nights, via picking and self regulation. I see a community that can easily be trusted with that, which is really, pretty dang awesome.

This is something I thought a lot about, especially considering how crazy annoying it would be to get the civilian to the end, only just to have a crazy good sniper pick him off. (I'm looking at you Lumpy! If you even read these things!) I am actually unsure of how the game balance would go, in one frame of mind the attacking team gets medics which COULD overheal the civilian to a bit more life, but a sniper's headshot still ends it all. Again, pretty much every detail is up for debate.

Ultimately if it is decided that we don't do it, I'm pretty cool with that. It IS your server and I'm not even gonna try to force you to do anything with it, since its a privilege that I get to play on them to begin with. You do bring some genuine concerns, but hey, that's why I decided to start a thread for discussion of it.

Your post appears on page 779 on my computer.
I got nothing. Earlier today it was showing normal (about thirty minutes ago) and now its back to being reversed again.

It wouldn't be Hunted if every class was available to each side. Back in the day the assassination team could only be Sniper's (maybe Spy as well. It's been too long since I played it) and the game played differently since they couldn't take the other team in a straight fight, but I doubt that would ever work now, hence they get a couple more options.

Yes, thank you for pointing out one of the reasons the Hunted gameplay mode was removed from TF2.

Heavy is the most vulnerable 'strong' class. Frogg knows this; his paranoia is proof positive of that. When he's playing something else, his mindset shifts. It's logical his behaviour would follow suit.

Indeed. I just personally find it amusing to put less stock in paranoia and more in psychic murder powers. I'll need to take a few pages from Frogg's book, though... for someone who plays Spy as much as I do, I tend to get backstabbed a lot when I'm a different class. Of course, it's usually Paranoid doing the acupuncture, and given that he's the one that showed me the tricks of the trade...

Yes, thank you for pointing out one of the reasons the Hunted gameplay mode was removed from TF2.

I rather liked Hunted back in the day for exactly that reason: by restricting what classes were available, it forced the teams to figure out new and different ways to use what they had. Sure, it was infuriating when a Sniper we'd missed got a headshot on the Hunted right as he was about to cross the finish line, but that was part of the game, and it was the attackers' job to find them and stop that from happening. It's remarkably hard for a Sniper to get a shot off with bullets flying around his head.

Not that strange, really. People have commented that a lot of the time I'm harder to backstab as a Sniper than as a Pyro. Clefairy said it well.

It's because of people like Frogg that I don't play more Spy.

Not that strange, really. People have commented that a lot of the time I'm harder to backstab as a Sniper than as a Pyro. Clefairy said it well.

It's because of people like Frogg that I don't play more Spy.

Conversely, it's people like Frogg that inspire me to play Spy more so I can overcome their paranoia and kill them anyway.

I thought you were complaining at the idea of restricting classes and didn't understand that that was part of playing Hunted in the original game. If I was mistaken then I apologize. I still think that playing Hunted could be fun though, although with the changes made to the classes between TFC and TF2 things could end up vastly different from the original in terms of game balance. You really can't say that it would be totally unbalanced without playing it though.

As for why it was taken out of TF2 to begin with, I'd put my money on the fact that it's popularity had waned later in TFC's life. Not to even mention that it felt like a completely separate game from TFC (and was really) which would put off a lot of players looking for the standard TF experience (just look at the initial reception arena maps had). It probably should have been a completely separate title altogether to be honest.

As for why it was taken out of TF2 to begin with, I'd put my money on the fact that it's popularity had waned later in TFC's life. Not to even mention that it felt like a completely separate game from TFC (and was really) which would put off a lot of players looking for the standard TF experience (just look at the initial reception arena maps had). It probably should have been a completely separate title altogether to be honest.

This mode kind of became less popular as the game NS began to build in popularity, it being a much more reasonable, but still heavily team based, game. It could just be a coincidence, but I imagine that's why. Also teamwork in general has always been hard to come by.

Based on feedback I've gotten, I've removed premuda and egypt from rotation.

I think it was fun having egypt back in for a week or two but it's already overstayed it's welcome for some. Premuda I've had a lot of mixed feelings about, so I'm open to discussion on putting it back.

Current rotation is:

koth_viaduct

cp_granary

pl_badwater

cp_dustbowl

ctf_sawmill

cp_gravelpit

cp_gorge

pl_goldrush

ctf_2fort

cp_badlands

plr_panic_b1

cp_steel

ctf_doublecross

koth_harvest

cp_waste_v2

... How did 2fort get back in there? Do we really want 2fort AND doublecross in?

Personally, I enjoy doublecross alot still. 2fort always feels like a timewaster to me, sort of a "well lets play this for afew minutes so we don't have to play seriously until the next map". How often do we hit 2fort without half the server RTV spamming until we leave?