Anyone here like fusion?

gamermcchester

My buddy went to the Return To Forever reunion show that you saw... He said it was incredible and now I'm kicking myself for not trying harder to get tickets.

Honestly, I wasn't that impressed with the Toronto show. There were big sound quality issues for the first half and I don't like Al Di Meola much. There's a review of the show on my blog (link in my sig) if you're interested.

I love Chick Corea and Return to Forever. Spain is an amazing song; I actually got to play it with our high school jazz band.

I like a lot of Japanese Fusion artists, they're really responsible for turning me onto fusion in the first place. You should take it upon yourself to check out Casiopea (Twilight Solitude, Once In A Blue Moon), and T-Square (Sailing the Ocean, Nab that Chap). I'm not sure if you could cite Tetsuya Shibata as "fusion," but it's definitely jazz and he did the music for Marvel vs. Capcom 2. Such a grooving soundtrack.

Listen to zircon - you need to check out Joshua Morse's stuff on this site. And on his site. Some of my stuff is fusion-y. I dunno.

But give me your top three album recommendations for fusion albums. I want to check them out.

(Also, I didn't see Michael Manring on your bassists list. Do you not like him, or do you just not know about him? Check this out: http://www.oneupstudios.com/_mustin/MichaelManring-NoWontonsforElvis.mp3 [link will only be active for a month from this post date])

(oh and what is Retro Remix Revue? Are you a part of that? I really like those samples!!)

Michael Manring didn't make my list cause although very good, stylistically I don't identify with him quite as much. He's one of those "solo" type bass players, meaning he plays by himself a lot and and does a lot of chordal stuff and so on. Impressive but like I said, I bore of that stuff fast. Victor Wooten is similar in that he does a lot of that "solo" bass stuff, however, Vic knows how to lay it down FAT in a band, and he's extremely versatile. He just goes slap happy all of the time cause his bass fan-boys scream for it.

As far as the Retro Remix stuff, I'm not associated with it; I just happened to stumble across it lookin' around for new video game remix stuff and it sounded amazing. I was thinking about e-mailing them and see if they would tell me some more stuff about the album. I'm prayin' for some mario kart or some zelda...but I really want that chemical plant zone too.

Oh ya, three fusion albums you should check out:

Gary Willis - Bent

Return To Forever - Romantic Warrior

Greg Howe - Extraction

That's a good variety of stuff... all amazing albums.

I really like the Spyro Gyra album "Stories Without Words" (especially the last two tracks), but what I've heard of the rest of their stuff doesn't seem to be on the same level.

I think Point of View is fantastic even though it has a cheesy hollywood-sound to it. Otherwise Carnaval (or some other strange spelling) is pretty good.