SoundTempest compos resume: MIDI MONDAYS 9pm EST

zircon

Most of you probably don't remember that SoundTempest, now a music industry news & help blog maintained by me, used to be a site connecting amateur musicians to amateur game developers. One of the most popular things we did were weekly (sometimes daily) one hour competitions called CompoSTs, involving ReMixers like OverCoat, Rellik, Tyler Heath, analoq, bustatunez, and many others. Video game composer Jeroen Tel has even compoed with us before!

Anyway, I want to bring these back in the form of General MIDI only competitions held weekly (or perhaps more frequently.) You can join us starting tomorrow night at 9PM EST on #soundtempest, irc.esper.net. The rules are simple, basically taken from existing, successful competitions like kwakfest:

* You can use any sequencer you want.

* You have one hour.

* Your entry must be written from scratch when the compo begins, with no pre-recorded parts.

* Entries must be in General MIDI format (.mid)

Once the hour is up, all the participants will download the entries, we'll listen to them as a group and then maybe do some kind of voting.. for example, asking everyone to pick their top 3 tracks.

Each compo will have some kind of theme. Because this is SoundTempest, the themes will probably involve game music in some way. However, you do not have to stick to the theme strictly... it's better to write something fun if you have no ideas, rather than write nothing. These kind of compos are great ways of practicing your compositional and sequencing skills especially since you are limited to MIDI.

We may expand CompoSTs back into the realm of audio but for now, I think MIDI-only will be fun.

See you tomorrow!

---

QUICK MIDI REFERENCE

Don't have a sequencer? Pick up FL Studio for free by clicking right here. The demo version will not let you save, but it is just fine for a one hour competition, and will allow you to export whatever you make. Once you have FL installed and opened, go to File -> New From Template -> Utility -> General MIDI. This premade template opens up 16 MIDI channels armed and ready for recording or sequencing.

Regardless of the sequencer you use, you can get a lot more mileage out of general MIDI by using CCs (continuous controllers.) These are basically controls present in every channel of a MIDI file, accessible in any respectable DAW. There are 127 CCs, most of which are not relevant here, but there are a couple ones you should know -

CC 1 = Modulation. Most keyboards automatically assign the modwheel to this controller. It allows you to add vibrato (pitch modulation) to your sound.

CC 7 = Volume. Pretty self-explanatory. If you want to make string swells, for example, automating CC7 is the way to go.

CC 10 = Panning. Allows you to control the Left/Right balance of the channel.

CC 64 = Sustain. If you have a MIDI foot pedal, it will likely control this. When CC 64 is "on" (turned up) then anytime you hit a note, it will sustain for awhile.

Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes!!!!!!

I can never enter competitions here because of time constraints, but I should easily be able to carve out an hour to participate in this.

Can someone help a brotha out and tell me how to assign General MIDI instruments to a MIDI file made in something like Reason 3?

First compo was a success - check out the entries here:

http://www.soundtempest.net/mm1/

The theme was...

"The newest casual puzzle game hit which is sweeping the nation, where the goal is to line up various fruits on an incredibly complex grid - requires intense concentration and years of practice to know what the hell you're doing"

Next compo is NEXT Monday (Sept 8th) at 9PM EST, again. However if you hang out in #soundtempest on irc.esper.net, and there is enough interest on any given night, we can do another one spontaneously.

• 3 weeks later...