Satriani is suing Coldplay

Fishy

It's not like it's the first time they've been accused of stealing for this same song, either.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viva_La_Vida#Plagiarism_allegations

From that article: "Creaky Boards later retracted the accusations and now speculate that both songs may have been inspired by the video game The Legend of Zelda."

...and it comes back to video games. oh, sweet irony.

How is that irony? :|

Topic of 'Satriani is suing Coldplay' has absolutely nothing to do with video game music. Yet it's posted in a video game music thread and somehow the whole thing comes back to video game music. Seemed unexpected and humorous to me. That's how I break it down.

BTW: I went against my gut instinct which told me that Coldplay's new album was bleck (not Bleck) so I should root against them. I don't hear it in the music: it's too different, at least in pacing and style, to be plagiarism. Inspiration perhaps. Plagiarism, nah.

Topic of 'Satriani is suing Coldplay' has absolutely nothing to do with video game music. Yet it's posted in a video game music thread and somehow the whole thing comes back to video game music. Seemed unexpected and humorous to me. That's how I break it down.

Well, the place it's being discussed really has nothing to do with irony. :|

4 notes. 4 notes, only 3 of which are consecutive, are the same per refrain in that section. Joe Satriani's an idiot if he thinks 3 notes are are a "substantial portion" of his song.

Actually it is, because substantial does mean small portion.

sub⋅stan⋅tial

  /səbˈstænthinsp.pngʃəl/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [suhthinsp.pngb-stan-shuhthinsp.pngl]

–adjective 1. of ample or considerable amount, quantity, size, etc.: a substantial sum of money

I'm not going to say that Coldplay is going to win, and I'm not going to say that Satriani is going to win.

It is a small part, but i don't think that that's enough. Only time will tell.

It's possible that coldplay may have been inspired by satriani, but I don't consider coldplay's version a rip-off. It is a bit weird that they're in the same key, but I don't considering IV-V-I-vi a particularly innovating chord progression. I admit, I love Viva la Vida--but the melody is only a small part of that, and god knows the chords aren't. It's the colors and textures, the instrumentation, and DEFINITELY the rhythm.

I think this is more a publicity stunt on satriani's part--because honestly, I didn't even know who he was until I heard this. If it worked on me, who else will it work for?

Well, the place it's being discussed really has nothing to do with irony. :|

Sure it does! Irony is, by definition, dependent upon context. It wouldn't be ironic to say "I'm burning up!" if it were hot outside. It was an unexpected turn for a plagiarism suit between two pop music groups to reduce to both tracks in question being inspired by vg music, especially since this is a vg music site (and since this thread had nothing to do with vg music yet somehow that's exactly where we ended up). It also lended credence to the influence of vg music in an unusual fashion. All this was unexpected to me, anyhow, and all very funny.

And yes, the deflection of this issue to vg music (instead of anyone admitting they were wrong in the accusation) would work just as well, but that's not ironic considering how egotistical some folks can be so I'd be saying "oh, sweet irony" sardonically. Maybe that's how I came off and that's what caused the confusion, but hey I guess this works just as well.

Alanis has confused the definition for our entire generation.

hahaha... though all those things were ironic the first time, yeah now that they've been beaten into the ground through repetition they shouldn't be ironic at all to anyone high school age or older.

So now that things are thoroughly off-topic, I'm going to throw in with The Pezman:

I don't care who may have stolen what, but honestly that last part of the video has the right idea. The two of them should just team up and produce a super mega rockin' version of the song, effectively uniting fans from both camps.

YES!

Sure it does! Irony is, by definition, dependent upon context. It wouldn't be ironic to say "I'm burning up!" if it were hot outside. It was an unexpected turn for a plagiarism suit between two pop music groups to reduce to both tracks in question being inspired by vg music, especially since this is a vg music site (and since this thread had nothing to do with vg music yet somehow that's exactly where we ended up).

Except that irony isn't just something unexpected occurring; it's something occurring that contrary to what is expected. If Satriani himself had plagiarized "If I Could Fly" from another artist, that would be ironic. "Ironic" and "unexpected" are not interchangeable terms. That the discussion of where tracks come from goes towards video game music on a video game music site isn't ironic; it's coincidental. Is it unexpectedly amusing because this is OCR and we're video game music fans? Sure; but it's not ironic.

As for "If I Could Fly" and "Viva La Vida" being inspired by a Legend of Zelda song, that's total bullshit. I can't thing of a single song from Zelda that sounds like "Viva La Vida."

Alright DarkeSword, you got me. I agree with your definition and your example is most certainly ironic. And you're right, 'coincidental' works much better with the whole vg music thread bit. But to me, it is still darn ironic that Creaky Boards would accuse Coldplay of plagiarizing only to then retract this and say they were "inspired by" a vg track, since 'inspired by' can be a nice way of saying 'plagiarize'. I didn't lay out this part well at all in my previous posts, so even though this is part of what I was getting at, what I said earlier definitly wasn't ironic.

So, Satriani is suing Coldplay. Please resume discussion.