OCR Blackberry App

tweex

Now, I don't know the programing that goes into something like this, but I was wondering if an OCR BB app would ever be a possibility. Anyone with a Blackberry that has the Facebook app on their phone might agree that something like that for OCR would be awesome!

Doesn't have to be anything really really complicated, but something that allows you to look up remixers/remixes, send private messages, and check the forums maybe.

Again, I have no idea the depth and time it would take to do such a thing, but anyone who might know how, what's the likelihood of of something like this actually happening?

I would opt for a mobile version of the website. However, is there a large enough demand for such HTML/CSS coding? And would it be worth it?

Maybe a linear theme would work for the main page, something that wouldn't require too much coding or work but will still be accessible across many mobile platforms of varying screen widths. And for the forums... well, I'm certain there's a mobile theme available for vBulletin.

oh and btw, i'm pretty sure if you wanted to keep up with the latest remixes, you could just grab the remix RSS feed.

edit: here's the link for the page with them feeds. http://www.ocremix.org/info/Feeds

I would opt for a mobile version of the website. However, is there a large enough demand for such HTML/CSS coding? And would it be worth it?

Maybe a linear theme would work for the main page, something that wouldn't require too much coding or work but will still be accessible across many mobile platforms of varying screen widths. And for the forums... well, I'm certain there's a mobile theme available for vBulletin.

oh and btw, i'm pretty sure if you wanted to keep up with the latest remixes, you could just grab the remix RSS feed.

edit: here's the link for the page with them feeds. http://www.ocremix.org/info/Feeds

Well I can't speak for everyone else, but I know that I would use the app quite a bit.

I already have that RSS on my phone and it's great.

Truthfully, the main two things I would like on any OCR app is the ability to send/receive PMs and checking the forums. I already receive emails on my Blackberry notifying me of a new PM waiting for me, but I have to go through another web browser on my phone to be able to reply. It's certainly a functional system that I have, but it's not terribly easy or time efficient. However, I would never so no to more functions being added :).

Again, I really can't speak for everyone else, but I can say that I would love for something like this to take form!

Personally, I doubt it. I recently bought a 2005 Pocket PC from a friend, and that was one of the last devices before the iPhone made the scene, and started browsing the "real" Internet. With more and more people getting iPhones or iPhone like devices every day, I can't imagine the percentage of people browsing the mobile Internet will be significant for much longer.

And now that a Last.fm app has come out for the iPhone, it's easy enough to add your favorite OCR artists that way.

Personally, I doubt it. I recently bought a 2005 Pocket PC from a friend, and that was one of the last devices before the iPhone made the scene, and started browsing the "real" Internet. With more and more people getting iPhones or iPhone like devices every day, I can't imagine the percentage of people browsing the mobile Internet will be significant for much longer.

And now that a Last.fm app has come out for the iPhone, it's easy enough to add your favorite OCR artists that way.

The problem with phones with browsers like the iPhone or the BlackBerry Storm (which I just got yesterday and <3) is that they shrink everything so that you can get a view of most of the page, which forces you to magnify the area you want. A cellphone specific design for those who connect via cellphones would be much nicer to nagivate through.

I know Dave has considered making a version of the site for cellphones, and perhaps it's worth revisiting now that such gadgets are becoming a lot more commonplace. It will probably be a good thing to discuss during MAGFest.

Have you tried browsing OCR on an iPhone/iPod Touch? It's like dialup.

Mobile devices have a long way to go before browsing the "real internet" becomes viable.

Let us assume in one year, all cell phone and mobile internet devices will be browsing the "real" internet (or, that they can interpret and display full HTML/CSS/Javascript/etc. in both a zoomed-out and a zoomed-in view).

It is still not practical to use (not browse) most full-size websites in a small-size screen (resolution). (True, the bulk of my mobile web-use has been on a PSP and an LG Vu, where neither really gives you a zoomed out view of the web page you're browsing.. and one doesn't even let you touch to move the display.) A page designed for a small viewing area with larger-sized (finger-clickable) links, etc., could be easier to use, simpler, induce fewer headaches, be lighter on bandwidth (thus both loading faster and lower cost for the host, though I'm sure the financial gains would be negligible), and probably look more aesthetically-pleasing due to better accessibility by mobile devices... the whole form/function thing.

Regardless, the question is, how many people really use OCR on their mobile phones, to the extent that they actually browse the forums, send/receive PMs, etc.?

Well I can't speak for everyone else, but I know that I would use the app quite a bit.

Yes, the idea of a Blackberry App would make it highly convenient for Blackberry users to do these tasks, because instead of having to deal with web pages in a funky browser, you could interact with OCR through a program designed for easy manipulation on a Blackberry device. But.. unlike you and me, not everyone owns a Blackberry. Creating generic J2ME programs comes to mind, but... from what I've experienced with my phones, there is a myriad of compatibility issues between different models and screen resolutions (or it could just be my dirty rotten luck :/).

Plus, consider who would be creating this. If it's going to be DJP, (though I don't know the breadth his coding skills), I would assume (D)HTML/CSS/PHP/MySQL are of his strongest suits, and a mobile version of this site would be easier to use. If it's someone else with Java/J2ME coding skills, then maybe a Java/BB app would serve best. (Also, experience in designing a mobile-compatible website could lead to functional/design enhancements/modifications of the real website, which may/may not anger some of the masses.)

Meh. I'm interested in seeing anything of the sort happen, really.

Have you tried browsing OCR on an iPhone/iPod Touch? It's like dialup. Mobile devices have a long way to go before browsing the "real internet" becomes viable.

All those years I was using dial-up... that wasn't the "real internet"? Why didn't anyone tell me?

Feeble humour aside, I use my iphone to browse the web all the time, OCR included. It's quite viable. Viable to the point that I wouldn't want to be without it.

Truthfully, the main two things I would like on any OCR app is the ability to send/receive PMs and checking the forums.

Sounds like you're barking up the wrong tree. You should be asking the vbulletin maintainers about a mobile plug-in. Ideally something djp could just install for the board and be done with. Mobile OCR apps would definitely be cool but there doesn't appear to be enough demand to make it worthwhile; maintaing software projects can be a lot of work, unfortunately.

cheers.