What are you listening to?

Livetune's stuff is just so catchy, though; I've found myself humming Yellow for days at a time.

Too true. I found Yellow quite some time ago, back in the days when I didn't pay attention at all to the composer and, if I had to tag a blank MP3, would just put down Hatsune Miku in the Artist box. I still haven't retagged many of those to put in the proper artist/composer info, so this is the first I've heard that livetune did Yellow. Now that I know, though, I can definitely hear the style.

I have a question for you people: what's your format for tagging remixes? Especially those that are, say, remixes of remixes or other unusual stuff like that. For non-remixes, the Artist field is used for either the composer or the singer (if there is one), or even [composer] feat. [singer]. But if music with a composer and a separate singer is remixed, where does each person go? I've seen the Artist field stay the same and have "feat. [remixer]" in the title of the track, I've seen "[remixer] feat. [singer]" in the Artist field and putting the composer in the Composer field only (effectively removing them from recognition in typical MP3 players unless you look at all the tags specifically). I've also seen all people involved put into the Artist field in varying manners of formatting. And if it's a remix of a remix of a song, what then?

I've been trying to figure out how I want to tag my library, and I'm hitting this issue, particularly with my Hatsune Miku tracks and remixes. I want to be able to easily sort by singer, composer and remixer, but I've not seen a tagging format that is robust enough.

I have a question for you people: what's your format for tagging remixes? Especially those that are, say, remixes of remixes or other unusual stuff like that. For non-remixes, the Artist field is used for either the composer or the singer (if there is one), or even [composer] feat. [singer]. But if music with a composer and a separate singer is remixed, where does each person go? I've seen the Artist field stay the same and have "feat. [remixer]" in the title of the track, I've seen "[remixer] feat. [singer]" in the Artist field and putting the composer in the Composer field only (effectively removing them from recognition in typical MP3 players unless you look at all the tags specifically). I've also seen all people involved put into the Artist field in varying manners of formatting. And if it's a remix of a remix of a song, what then?

I've been trying to figure out how I want to tag my library, and I'm hitting this issue, particularly with my Hatsune Miku tracks and remixes. I want to be able to easily sort by singer, composer and remixer, but I've not seen a tagging format that is robust enough.

For me, artist is always original artist. The track name is what I modify for remixes.

So, if I were to remix, say, Deadmau5's "Sofi Needs A Ladder (feat. Sofi)", then I would tag the final remix as

Artist: "Deadmau5"

Track Title: "Sofi Needs A Ladder (feat. Sofi) [Anorax Remix]"

I would try to make sure that the remixer's artist name is ALWAYS in brackets, whether or not the "feat. singer" uses parentheses or brackets

to reiterate:

Artist: Original Artist

Track Title: Original Full Title (Feat. Guest Performer) [Remixer's Remix]

As for remixes of remixes, I've seen them tagged in the Title as "[remixer 1]vs.[remixer 2][comma, semicolon or dash] Original track title"

so, in an example:

Title: Anorax vs 9bar - Kickstart

Artist: Example

the remix of a remix can get confusing though, I've seen it dozens of ways.

In the brony community, it get weird:

TeiThePony plots with Glaze - Avast Tei's Robotic Buttocks

Now obviously the title name has changed, but we're just weird that way

Edited by Anorax

• DarkeSword featured and unfeatured this topic