The Old Fogies From UnMod Thread

Bagel Fuzzynuts

Welcome back.
And as Walan said, welcome back old timer. Good to hear you're gonna stick around.

Thank you, Walan and Coop, for the welcoming. AWW, BIG HUG!!

Fiction of course, with the shorter stories being horror themed mostly. One of the longer ones is action oriented with a sense of humor, and another one's just some light-hearted fun (with the occasional serious moment). But the trilogy of novels that's being focused heavily on right now is... well, I'm staying mum on them. It's a long time project of mine that's finally beginning to really come together (they're the ones that also involve music and artwork).

Nice, nice. I've (<memory lane>and in the case of those Caption Contests with the cookie for a prize, also my friends who would read over my shoulder</memory lane>) always enjoyed your sense of humor, I look forward to reading your works once you've completed them. Do you have mainstream publishing in mind?

You have me intrigued about the trilogy project you're working on, it sounds really sweet. I wish you great success with it.

Thanks Sauzer and GD :-)

Do you have mainstream publishing in mind?

That I do. Most publishers won't go for an untested author when it comes to novels, so I've put in time to work on a number of short stories that I felt turned out well, but needed further clean up and adjustments. Those'll be going out in March, and while I wait for rejection/acceptance letters, I'll continue to work on the trilogy (maybe take an occasional break to work on one of the other longer stories). The goal is that the images I work on (besides the cover pieces) will be for the in-between-chapters pages, while the music I've written are works inspired by moments and scenes from the entire storyline.

If all attempts at getting it published fails, people will be able to read my trilogy at some point. After all the work I've put into this over the years, I'll find a way to get it all out there so folks have a chance to potentially enjoy it once it's finished. But I'm very much hoping that it gets printed, and that it doesn't come to "fuck it... I'll just post it on my website" years later.

Thanks Sauzer and GD :-)

That I do. Most publishers won't go for an untested author when it comes to novels, so I've put in time to work on a number of short stories that I felt turned out well, but needed further clean up and adjustments. Those'll be going out in March, and while I wait for rejection/acceptance letters, I'll continue to work on the trilogy (maybe take an occasional break to work on one of the other longer stories). The goal is that the images I work on (besides the cover pieces) will be for the in-between-chapters pages, while the music I've written are works inspired by moments and scenes from the entire storyline.

If all attempts at getting it published fails, people will be able to read my trilogy at some point. After all the work I've put into this over the years, I'll find a way to get it all out there so folks have a chance to potentially enjoy it once it's finished. But I'm very much hoping that it gets printed, and that it doesn't come to "fuck it... I'll just post it on my website" years later.

I wish I had your balls for the publishing thing, I have some ideas, but haven't been able to write recently because of a feeling of futility.

It can be daunting... especially with the big stories. Knowing that there's going to be hundreds upon hundreds of pages ahead of you can seem insurmountable (for me, it'll be over a thousand pages easily). But every chunk you write gets you closer to being done, whether it's the first draft, third draft or the final one. And really, the hardest part is getting that first draft down... trying to put all your ideas into a cohesive narrative. Once you got that, then it comes down more to cleaning it up, making sure there's consistency, adding more bits in to help flesh out what feels too short, or trim down what seems too drawn out.

There's something inspirational when you sit back and look at what you've done. When you see 100 to 300 pages behind you, it gives you that little "you can do it" nudge to keep going. Knowing that you've come that far, and that it's taking a real tangible form instead of being only a mental idea, is a good motivator.

And thanks Refelos :-)

It can be daunting... especially with the big stories. Knowing that there's going to be hundreds upon hundreds of pages ahead of you can seem insurmountable (for me, it'll be over a thousand pages easily). But every chunk you write gets you closer to being done, whether it's the first draft, third draft or the final one. And really, the hardest part is getting that first draft down... trying to put all your ideas into a cohesive narrative. Once you got that, then it comes down more to cleaning it up, making sure there's consistency, adding more bits in to help flesh out what feels too short, or trim down what seems too drawn out.

There's something inspirational when you sit back and look at what you've done. When you see 100 to 300 pages behind you, it gives you that little "you can do it" nudge to keep going. Knowing that you've come that far, and that it's taking a real tangible form instead of being only a mental idea, is a good motivator.

And thanks Refelos :-)

It doesn't hurt that you have one hell of a creative streak, Coop:-P

I'm pretty sure if I had an idea that would take a thousand pages, I could fill those pages easily. I've never been one to be daunted by the scale of what I'm working on, I always get frustrated over the quality of what I'm writing.

Idk I've had an idea for a story or novel I'd like to write, dealing with the TVA flooding valleys (think Deliverance and O Brother, Where Art Thou for reference) and someone using that to conceal an atrocity they committed. There were going to be supernatural elements to it, but nothing too overboard to keep the sense of realism intact.

Problem with me is that I pull my creativity from the events in my life. And right now, my life is pretty good, yet uneventful.

But when you're done with what you're writing, I'll definitely be wanting to get a hold of it :wink:

And another blast from the past. Been a long time since I last saw your screen name pop up, Cashuea. How goes things? And of course, thanks.

Straziante- If you have an idea, pick a section and try writing it. It can be from the beginning, the end, or somewhere in-between, but go with a scene that you've thought out a bit, and give it a go. It may result in inspiration to keep going with it.