Miniscule portable midi controller beta

Genuinely cool... looks to be applying some Web 2.0 style usability principles to the interface/display, as well. "Teenage Engineering" though... does this mean it will dress up in black on certain days, wearing a wallet chain, giving me an attitude? I do not know. Hopefully it'll be priced reasonably - I'm interested.

Damn, that thing is a monster! It looks pretty sweet, though. I'd probably use it as a portable synth over anything else, but as a midi controller it looks very nice, as well. The 'Teenage Engineering' sort of scares me, though - I hope it's just a name :|.

OP-1 stands for Operator 1

After reading the specs I seriously thought it stood for 'Over Powered 1'... :tomatoface:

I can understand that in the sense that this thing will be in beta for the next 10-12 months. Beyond that, some explanation would help.

Youtube video of display test SEEMED to suggest that the entire display was taken over by a large envelope editor whence tweaking settings, hopefully contextually, with an auto-switch back to whatever the "main" display is after said knob/setting stopped changing. Basically, abandoning a lot of the multi-level heirarchical stuff for some quick-and-dirty, instant feedback type display action... maybe that was just my misinterpretation from the video, but it seems like there's room to explore that sort of approach.

I can understand that in the sense that this thing will be in beta for the next 10-12 months. Beyond that, some explanation would help.

It's a portable synthesizer, with a body made of a solid block of aluminum. The encoders are high-quality; the OLED used will be in stock for 5 years, and currently they're busy in Taiwan to set up a production line.

The innards consist of an Analog Devices DSP and 1gb of internal memory. The concept is not that far removed from that of a MonoMachine in the sense that you get a compact synthesizer with several methods of synthesis - FM, virtual analog, SID-like, etc, small enough to take with you. Projected price is around 600 euros.

There's only a single design mistake I can see, and that is that they've only got 14 of the long, pill-shaped "white keys" instead of 16.

No problemo.

Nice tidbit about the target price, though. $800+ puts it in a niche. My iPhone is more portable and I have a variety of music making apps to choose from with unique graphical interfaces. If I didn't already have a laptop, for $800 I could buy a used macbook/cheap laptop pc to do more sophisticated jamming on the go. If I want a small form factor synth+sequencer, mfb synth2 is cheaper and it's analog.

I realize all of those examples represent personal preference, but I just keep seeing this OP1 thing on the blogs and I continue to not understand the hype.

I wouldn't quite go that far. There's a variety of kit that people (myself included) are willing to pay thru the nose for because they do one thing particularly well and/or has a convenient form factor. The design and form factor are definitely cool but it's hard to say what this thing would do particularly well considering they're being secretive about its features.

I generally don't complain about prices, so when I have the impulse to do so it seems like something is missing. I'd guess OLEDs are exorbitant even at that size.