Left 4 Dead 2 - now $6.80 on Steam!

The Damned

OK, so the new mutation is out... and it sucks.

You're in any of the finales, but this time, you can only have one player make it. It's called Room For One for a reason.

It basically, you and the other three survivors try to make it to the end, but as soon as you do, it's time to FF the fuck out of everyone. It's essentially a Valve-sanctioned grief mod. As soon as I saw the chopper in Dark Carnival heading to the left side of the stage, I ran over there... and then had someone try to shotgun me down. He already set the other two on fire and tried to incap them.

Seriously, this is a terrible idea. I can't understand why they would bother with this. Any regular player sees this exact same shit in every other finale.

I can top that.

The only Survival achievement I was missing was the one where you get a medal using only a melee weapon. Using the balcony in The Passing's Underground map, I set up a nice ring of defenses in case thing went wrong, and had both ammo boxes spread out in the middle, away from the rails.

Now, this was just me and the three bots. This is important. Also, I didn't set the game to be friends-only.

So, I start the horde, wait just long enough to kill a zombie with a crowbar (DOCTAH FREEMAHN!) and then run up to and climb the hidden ladder that gets you up onto the balcony.

As the horde come in, and the first tank and wave of special infected swarm the bots, I was sitting up there, safe and sound.

Four minutes went by. Then five minutes. Where's my message saying I got the achievement? Oh, that's right. I had messed up this one on an earlier attempt by shooting something, and that was past the first medal. OK, no problem, just got to sit tight until seven minutes.

Six minutes and thirty seconds, three people join in. All of their characters are dead in the street below me, and I'm only a a few dozen seconds from the achievement.

Someone votes to restart the map. Three votes yes, map restarts five seconds before the checkpoint.

Fucking L4D2 community sucks.

What? Too hard?

Really?

I'm asking, because I've gone through all the campaigns on Expert with random people (legit, not any of those jetpack or private servers), and it was difficult, but still doable.

Hell, I've been trying out Tank runs on Advanced recently. Lots of restarts from having Tanks smash you all at once, but we managed to get to the end.

Mind you, I do play it almost every day for at least one round, so that might have something to do with it.

I would agree that 2 is harder than 1. To some extent, considerably.

Common Infected are smart enough to serpentine and attempt to flank you when they rush you, as opposed to just blindly charging at you like they did in the original. Returning Special Infected tend to be a little more cunning as well (except the Boomer, who often finds himself in wide open spaces), and the new Specials are just downright mean. The Spitter and Charger can dish out some serious hurt, and the Jockey can cause a lot of trouble.

In general, because of all these factors, on average, survivors are taking much more damage than they used to. That said, I think the challenge is a fair one on the difficulties below expert because the tools the Survivors have now are varied, interesting, and powerful. Frankly, I like 2 a lot more than the original with all the variety it has for equipment loadouts.

Considering I don't like Expert mode and rarely play on it, I'm not the best person to speak for its difficulty. Damned is definitely the man to talk to about that.

• 2 months later...

So, apparently Valve has announced the next L4D/L4D2 DLC: The Sacrifice.

And yes, it's for both games.

Basically, you play the events of the original survivors leading up to The Passing.

The L4D2 version will also include the No Mercy campaign from L4D.

More here.

Oh, and Valve will be releasing a comic online in October with the backstory between L4D's previous campaigns and The Sacrifice.

• 1 month later...

Maybe he's starting to turn? What about his beard? What if it's turning?

They never stated, even in the comic, that all of the survivors are totally immune. They may just be showing really high resistance. After all, in The Passing, we see Fallen Survivors, people that were supposed tobe immune but did eventually become infected.

Also, The Sacrifice isn't out yet. Valve time, pffft.