Metroid: Other M

The first pirate lore (and the manual) expressly state that the Zebesians, who WERE led by Mother Brain (and the 'mainstays of the pirate army, Ridley and Kraid), are on the frigate.

The scan says (on Orpheon) "All ground personnel on Zebes are presumed dead. After the destruction of our facilities, only three frigates in orbit at the time of the attack managed to escape"

Where the other 2 frigates are is a mystery, and it might mean some Metroids escaped Zebes, though I doubt it. The Tallon Metroids all died for sure in Corruption, because the destruction of Phaaze meant the annihilation of all Phazon-enhanced life-forms, INCLUDING the Metroids (whom the SPs were feeding Phazon).

Also:

I think the 3 years is supposed to be between Corruption and Metroid II.

Either way, it's a really stupid claim to make.

"Hey Samus don't kill those dangerous Metroids for 3 years please"

Also, it's just REALLY hard to imagine in my head that THAT'S what the terror of Space, Ridley, looked like as a li'l baby.

It's REALLY hard to accept.

People will bitch about anything. It's like when I'm at work. People will gripe because they are cut early in the day, and they will gripe if they are kept late and make extra money. They will bitch either way. But there's something I want to say besides that - there's an easy way to tell whether a game is good or not -

If you find yourself wanting to play it all the time, or if you dislike turning the game off and going to bed - that means that it is a good game. And that's what this game has done to me. Sexism, cheesy cut scenes and all. So far it's good stuff.

Best post of this thread(aside from a few Arek posts) and I totally agree. I bought it earlier today, and while I was a bit "meh" when I started, I went to take a shower to go take care of stuff and all I could think of was playing it again. :-P

Funny how I actually like the narrative a lot.

I don't think it was bad at all, outside of a few odd scenes here and there (and a way-too long ending cutscene).

Also, apparently, some fans I know are saying that there is proof that Ridley regenerates at a cellular level, so the Ridley that is in Other M (scraped from Samus' suit) is still the same Ridley.

People will bitch about anything. It's like when I'm at work. People will gripe because they are cut early in the day, and they will gripe if they are kept late and make extra money. They will bitch either way.

people don't like it when their expectations are betrayed pretty much. you buy a game that's part of a franchise and you expect it to be consistent with other games in that franchise. TDK joker's "all part of the plan" speech here rofl

that being said I'm still waiting until I buy this to pass judgement on the cutscenes even though I've already seen a lot of them, just saying, when you do what's perceived by most as a 180 it's going to upset some people

Also, it's just REALLY hard to imagine in my head that THAT'S what the terror of Space, Ridley, looked like as a li'l baby.

It's REALLY hard to accept.

Spoilers (OCR needs a better spoiler tag than white text, for dark skin users):

I guess they just wanted it to be a surprise. If he looked anything more Ridley-like than a little fuzzy white chicken, the scientists/Samus might have caught on before it was too late. I will say that from the first encounter, I knew Birdy was going to be some kind of freaky killer. Then it started feasting on that dead creature and I was like yeah...no surprise there. Definitely wasn't expecting it to be Ridley though.

In other news, I just 100%ed the game. The music for when you get the "irreplaceable item" makes me laugh every time, especially the way it ends. Awesome.

Just beat this. Didn't read the thread.

Alright I liked the game, had fun throughout the majority of it, and didn't even mind Samus's cheesy monologues too much. The story was kinda neat, if somewhat silly, but the point being it kept me interested enough.

But:

1. The ending. I feel like it just kind of stopped, and the game play right before was... not very climatic. I was expecting so much more. Augh. I am so cheesed off right now. (edit: I just noticed theres more gameplaying to do isn't there? hurf durf)

2. The music was massively disappointing. Ambiance and stuff is cool and all, but I expect Metroid games to have at least one or two tracks, even remixes, worth listening to. What the hell is Stemage gonna do for this game yo? ALSO: Total missed opportunity with the Nightmare battle... with no Nightmare music! FFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUU

You're right, that theme was pretty fucking awesome, and it was sorely missed.

I mean, which would you pick to fight that thing, this or

?

The former may be professional, but when I think of that lovable melty face, I think first and foremost of the latter.

Music in games plays an integral role in making us remembuh them.

You're right, that theme was pretty fucking awesome, and it was sorely missed.

I mean, which would you pick to fight that thing, this or

?

The former may be professional, but when I think of that lovable melty face, I think first and foremost of the latter.

Music in games plays an integral role in making us remembuh them.

QFT. I still maintain that Overgrown Brinstar should have played in sector 1.

The music is really good and very ambient, making the game very immersive and creepy. The first "spider" music it plays in the main sector creeped my sister out. But still, it would have been better for there to be actual tunes. I think the closest is when you enter the room that has the Keyhunter hive.

Actually, on my second play through, I've noticed that a lot of the music is very similar to X-Files or The Matrix music.

It's actually insulting to say that a company not known for taking risks with its franchises at all (instead playing it safe at every opportunity) doesn't deserve any credit for taking one just because YOU didn't like how it turned out. Again, by definition, if they didn't take the risk there would be 0% chance of a payoff.

Hey man, I'm not saying risks are bad. Nintendo SHOULD take a risk every once in a while. And I DO commend them for taking a risk.

However, if that risk (the risk being fully voice-acted cutscenes) DIDN'T pay off (and general consensus seems to agree that they didn't pay off)...Nintendo doesn't get off scott free. That would be like me getting an A+ on a test, when I only did C+ work. So, I guess Nintendo gets probably a C, or a D at this point. They tried something different, and it hurt them as much as it helped. I'm glad they tried, but it's too bad their efforts were subpar.

Think about it, very few people (outside of retro purists) would be bashing Nintendo's use of cutscenes in M:OM if the cutscenes were of a better quality (like Uncharted's cutscenes, for instance). The reason that Nintendo is getting professional and amateur backlash is because those cutscenes are not especially good.

NOTE: I haven't played the game myself, yet, so I'm relying on reviews and word of mouth from players like yourselves. I admit that I'm not fully qualified to be making this type of argument yet, so take that as you will.

Hey man, I'm not saying risks are bad. Nintendo SHOULD take a risk every once in a while. And I DO commend them for taking a risk.

However, if that risk (the risk being fully voice-acted cutscenes) DIDN'T pay off (and general consensus seems to agree that they didn't pay off)...Nintendo doesn't get off scott free. That would be like me getting an A+ on a test, when I only did C+ work. So, I guess Nintendo gets probably a C, or a D at this point. They tried something different, and it hurt them as much as it helped. I'm glad they tried, but it's too bad their efforts were subpar.

Think about it, very few people (outside of retro purists) would be bashing Nintendo's use of cutscenes in M:OM if the cutscenes were of a better quality (like Uncharted's cutscenes, for instance). The reason that Nintendo is getting professional and amateur backlash is because those cutscenes are not especially good.

NOTE: I haven't played the game myself, yet, so I'm relying on reviews and word of mouth from players like yourselves. I admit that I'm not fully qualified to be making this type of argument yet, so take that as you will.

I think we should clarify something... The cutscenes themselves are very well done. The look great, and the cinematography is excellent. The way they blend into the action and back into gameplay is quite genius. Really, the only questionable parts are the voice acting and the story.

Really, I felt that the voice acting for cutscenes and character interactions was really good. Samus' monologues weren't all that great, but they were supposed to be kind of dry and emotionless (Sakamoto's words!)

Also, you know how you let Nintendo know that you want them to get better at this sort of thing? Support them :P

Maybe I didn't mind her monologues because, really, they're not that out of place for her. She's been doing this kind of rambling about life and Adam and stuff since Fusion, just without the voicework.

Okay NOW I beat the game for real (why did they do this, credits->final boss/escape?) and I'm a bit more satisfied. The Giant Space Brain Thing From Nowhere was pretty random but he made an alright final boss. The new menu music is pretty. I only got 60% of the items so it's time to go get those suckers

In Other M, however, it shows that the pirates are much more feral, with little intelligence... even just animal-like could be a good descriptor. Ridley, the general he is in Zero Mission, Prime, and Super, also seems like more of an animal than anything (though in the course of the plot, this makes sense). The pirates you encounter, well, I don't get the feeling that they can do anything other than screech and shoot.

Spoilers: All of the Zebesians and Space Pirates that appeared in Other M were cloned, Ridley included. Feral tendencies are expected out of anything that isn't raised to be intelligent. I suppose it's vaguely implied that Ridley has some carnal, forthright desire to murder Samus, but that's pretty much it.