What to Buy: PS3 or Wii?

Soul Splint

Alright, I need some help from the Sony and Nintendo fans.

Just realized I've gotten ahead in my finances so it's time to treat myself. I'm going to buy a new console (I already own a 360), and I need to know which is the better buy. I'm leaning toward the PS3 but the Wii is so much cheaper I wonder if I might get more play value out of it. But then there's the Blu-ray...it's a difficult choice. Here's my library of 360 games for comparison. Which road is the right road?

Halo 3

Halo Wars

Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts

Bioshock

Time-Shift

Mass Effect

Gears of War 1 and 2

Fable II

I'm not all about shooters, I like RPG's, platformers and some fighting games too.

If you own a 360, your reasons for owning a PS3 before a Wii were almost all thrown out the window.

For the PS3, you essentially have a small handful of games that you do not have access to -- the exclusives.

For the Wii, you essentially have a small (but bigger) handful of games that you do not have access to -- the exlusives.

Best thing to do is to take a look at the lineup and see what appeals to you more.

I'd go with the Wii, if only because the PS3 still has no exclusive that holds any interest to me.

Edit: RPGs? The PS3 is DEFINITELY not for you. Go look up "RPGs" on IGNs game list for PS3, and you'll get a grand total of 5. 3 of which I think are also available on the 360.

You have the best system this gen for RPGs already, the next best would probably (arguably) be the Wii, but its RPG library isn't spectacular either. As for fighters, I can't think of a fighter that's worth playing on the PS3 that's ONLY AVAILABLE on the PS3. The Wii has Tatsunoko vs. Capcom which is coming out soon with online play in the US.

I'm tempted to get a PS3 almost entirely for the PSX/2 upscaling, but you have to pay attention to model numbers to make sure you get one that's actually backwards-compatible. Blu-Ray is definitely nice to have too.

And Nekofrog's definitely right about the RPG thing. Right now, the PS3 exclusively has Valkyria Chronicles and...Cross Edge. Apparently Valkyria Chronicles is great though.

Pretty much any fighting game for PS3 is available on 360, so you don't need a PS3 for fighters. Wii will be getting Tatsunoko vs. Capcom soon.

PS3 has very little exclusives in the way of RPGs. The only one I can think of off the top of my head is Valkyria Chronicles, so you're kind of covered for RPGs (unless you really want Final Fantasy Versus XIII when that comes out next year). Still, the upcoming PS3 version of Tales of Vesperia is getting a load of extra content (characters, etc.).

As for platformers, PS3 has Little Big Planet, which is absolutely amazing, but then again Wii has Super Mario Galaxy and is getting Super Mario Galaxy 2 and New Super Mario Bros. Wii.

I own all three systems and I love my PS3, but I'd recommend getting a Wii first.

When it really boils down to it, look at the exclusives: do you want the PS3 exclusives like MGS4, Resistance, Killzone, LBP, Infamous, Uncharted, etc., or do you want the Wii exclusives like Mario Galaxy, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, etc.?

I own a 360 and a Wii, but I use my PC for gaming more than anything.

I agree with the above posters: for non-exclusive games, you're going to get the same games on the PS3 as you would on the 360, especially fighting games.

LoZ on the Wii/GC was an amazing game and I highly recommend it. Super Mario Galaxy is a great platformer as well - on par with Super Mario 64 IMO, and as stated above SMG2 is coming out.

Plus, it's really easy to modchip a Wii, if you have any interest in that sort of thing.

I got both the PS3 and Wii and as of late I've been on the PS3; however the Wii does see some action more often when I got more than 2 guests.

I'm rather surprised you guys are leaving out

:lol: Cmon
:lol: :lol:

Alas, besides Cross Edge, Valkyrie Chronicles, Tales of Vesperia (with added content), the upcoming Final Fantasy games as well as the PS1 classic titles (like Suikoden, FF7) some more rpgs would be welcomed.

My only reason to go for the PS3 version of fighting games for now would be to take advantage of a (imo) superior D-pad for fighting games; unless you splurged on a fight-stickpad for the 360 in which case could render the PS3 moot)

BlazBlue, MarvelvsCapcom2, Streetfighter IV, SF2THDR version etc (again this is if you haven't boguht some of them already on the 360)

The Wii has some great platformers already mentioned (Mario, Metroid Prime Trilogy ect).

Well, a lot of the problem does lie in which exclusives I want.

I'm dying to get MGS4 and God of War III for the PS3, and some Resistance would be nice too.

But for Wii there's SMB Galaxy 1 and 2, SSB Brawl, and possibly Twilight Princess.

I guess the most accurate way to put this is: if the PS3 and the Wii were the same price, I would get the PS3. But the PS3 is currently (I think) $150 more, and as Dhsu already mentioned, it's hard to find a model that is backwards compatable. (Not a huge issue, but nice nonetheless.)

Does anyone know if the PS3 library is going to explode one day like it did for PS2? That would be a big factor. How about other exclusive RPG's?

The PS3 library, to be completely honest, doesn't look to have even a remote chance to look anywhere near as attractive as the PS2. That mantle has been passed to the DS this time around (and deservedly so).

God of War 3 has no release date, Resistance is okay but there are better shooters, and the 360 is getting an MGS game eventually.

Hell, even the PS3's only real exclusive killer RPG (Valk Chronicles) isn't getting the sequel, the PSP is.

Last I heard FFXIII & FFVersusXIII are going to be multiplatform, as for the the library exploding as the PS2 Library did, I can't say.

I can only say as much larger the 360 and Wii libraries are, you got to dig through a whole lot of crap just to find ones that are noteworthy. Aside from the generic EA sports games, I don't really have to look hard to find a good title or one that would last be a good while (...Mirror's Edge being the exception...)

Whether that's a curse or blessing is another thing, for as large as the PS2 library is, you have to admit there's a lot of shit in it as well.

Hanna Montana on the PS2 anybody..?

As for BC, I've only ever heard rumors about a supposed newer model that is not only "slimmer" but also includes BC via software. Again I say rumors as I've yet to see anything officialized...

I do wish though that the Wii was not such a honeypot for shovelware; at least on the PS2 it was not as prevalent as it is now...

I own a 360 and a Wii and I'd really like to own a PS3, but I can't justify putting down the money yet. I was actually going to recommend a PS3 just because there's a bunch of games on it I'd love to play and Blu-ray capability is really nice, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't think Super Mario Galaxy was worth buying a Wii for. It's definitely my favorite game of this entire generation. Absolutely awesome. But other than that, I personally don't think there's a ton of incredible exclusives on the Wii that are too exciting. A lot of the most popular first-party games are just reworked versions of the same games you probably played on Gamecube and N64. But if you play a lot of multiplayer you might have a lot of fun with stuff like Mario Kart and Brawl.

I don't think the PS3 library will ever explode like the PS2 library did, but to be honest, I don't think any system's library is going to be that diverse and full of good games in this generation. I wouldn't even put the DS in the same league as the PS2, and it's probably closest.

Now that it's been "confirmed" that MGS4 will not be ported to the 360, I'd have to say the scales are still slightly tilted toward the PS3. I just have a feeling that the Wii may have already played its trump cards (such as Galaxy, Zelda and a newly announced New Super Mario), whereas the PS3 could potentially have A LOT up its sleeve with its predecessor's success. Thoughts?

And another variable: Who will be the first to jump to next-gen? I would think Nintendo, but I'd be interested to hear other opinions.

P.S. Galaxy alone worth the Wii? Really? I never heard such high praise for it before.

Final Fantasy Versus XIII is PS3 exclusive.

Soul Splint, since I assume you have enough money for either one right now, here's another way to think about it: PS3 will always cost more than a Wii, so if you have enough money for either one, just get the PS3, since it seems like you really want it for exclusives. Wii will still be cheap, and you can always get one later without having to save up as much.

Now that it's been "confirmed" that MGS4 will not be ported to the 360, I'd have to say the scales are still slightly tilted toward the PS3. I just have a feeling that the Wii may have already played its trump cards (such as Galaxy, Zelda and a newly announced New Super Mario), whereas the PS3 could potentially have A LOT up its sleeve with its predecessor's success. Thoughts?

And another variable: Who will be the first to jump to next-gen? I would think Nintendo, but I'd be interested to hear other opinions.

P.S. Galaxy alone worth the Wii? Really? I never heard such high praise for it before.

You haven't? Have you been paying attention to it? Galaxy is easily one of the best games of the last gen -- not MY personal favorite, but damn close.

This coming from a guy that utterly DESPISED Sunshine, Galaxy blows almost every previous Mario game out of the freaking water.

Here are a list of Wii games I think are worth purchasing:

1. Super Mario Galaxy - already explained

2. Super Paper Mario - Not NEARLY as good as The Thousand Year Door, but definitely worth it for the amazing and endearing story.

3. Twilight Princess - Great game, but also disappointing in that it's a me-too game

4. Resident Evil 4 - Hear me out on this, I bought this on launch day (had it preordered), played it at least 15 times over the years, and still bought it on the Wii. The wiimote makes this game one absolutely HEAVENLY experience, and it includes all of the PS2 extras.

5. Metroid Prime 3 - Loved that it wasn't entry #54354354 to put Samus alone on a dark planet all alone for the entirety of the game. Also did not play it much because I had not played the first two (well I did and stopped because, you know, console FPS controls are awful). That leads me to...

6. Metroid Prime 1 and 2 with wii controls - Now that these two are coming (on the same disc with 3, so MP1-2-3 all for the price of one) with Wii controls, I'll be sure to play through all of them.

7. Smash Bros. Brawl - Not my thing (never cared for ANY of the Smash Bros games) but I know it's huge to a lot of people

8. Zack and Wiki - Amazing, great little adventure title that got the critical acclaim but not the sales it deserved

9. Okami - Duh

10. Sin and Punishment - One of the best shooters of all time, an N64 game never released in the US was brought to the virtual console and released in the US. Now a Wii-sequel is on hte way.

11. Sin and Punishment 2 - Said sequel

12. Madworld - Hilariously over-the-top and great art design.

13. Punch-Out!! - Do I need to explain this one? An update to one of the most classic NES games of all time.

14. The Conduit - Standard FPS fare, but with the wiimote it's a lot more fun. I hate console shooters because of console controls, but wiimote + fps = fun.

15. Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People - Adventure gaming experienced a resurgence thanks to the Wii and the DS, and this title adds to the genre's prestige quite nicely.

16. Trauma Center: Second Opinion - Great remake of the DS title. Cheesy story but gameplay is tremendously fun.

17. Trauma Center: New Blood - Sequel to second opinion in name only, features new characters, story, and same great gameplay.

18. Trauma Team - The third entry in the Trauma Center series, slated for 2010.

19. de Blob - Released for a few systems, but a true sleeper hit on the Wii. THQ says more is coming for the Wii.

20. Lost Winds - Launch title for WiiWare, and a tremendously good platformer/puzzle hybrid (more platformer though).

21. Trace Memory R - Sequel to the DS title, another entry in the classicly-styled adventure game series.

22. Final Fantasy 4: The After Years - Direct sequel to Final Fantasy 4, how often do you get 16bit RPG goodness in this day and age?

23. Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn - Direct sequel to Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance. GREAT if you're into strategy RPGs.

24. No More Heroes - Great off-the-wall game, with a good story and hilarious fourth-wall breaking dialogue and scenes.

25. No More Heroes: Desperate Struggle - Not out yet, probably more of the above.

26. Final Fantasy: My Life as a King - Another WiiWare launch title, I was immersed in this thing for a long fucking time. Great sim-RPG which is getting a sequel soon, called "My Life as a Dark Lord"

27. Little King's Story - Similar to My Life as a King, but far more developed. Getting rave reviews.

28. Phantom Brave: We Meet Again - A port of the original Phantom Brave title, from the makers of Disgaea

29. Cursed Mountain - Survival horror game that takes place in a snow-coated setting on a mountain. Has good buzz.

30. Silent Hill: Shattered Memories - A complete remake from top to bottom of the original PS1 game. This game looks fucking AMAZING, and looks to put the SURVIVAL back in Survival Horror (thanks for nothing, RE5...)

31. Dead Space: Extraction - Apparently tells the story of how the setting of Dead Space occurred. Has good buzz.

32. A Boy and his Blob - Remake of the NES original, looks absolutely FANTASTIC. I HIGHLY suggest checking out the videos of this game.(here for example)

33. Cave Story - Yes, the highly acclaimed independent title Cave Story is coming to the Wii, with redone graphics

34. Tatsunoko vs. Capcom - It's losing one Tatsunoko character in the transition to the US, but gaining 5 bonus characters not in the Japanese version. A worthy tradeoff. Will have online play (Japanese version didn't).

In the interest of fairness, I've left out titles that are far off, and virtual console titles.

It really is a matter of exclusive preference at this point, and both consoles are pretty neck-and-neck with the number of good exclusives they have.

PS3

If you've got an HDTV (which I assume you do, based on your interest in BluRay), you'll get a lot more mileage of the PS3 than if you didn't. I was pretty surprised how much I've enjoyed having the PS3 just for movies alone. It's my favorite movie player now.

Killer exclusives include: LittleBigPlanet, Valkyria Chronicles, Metal Gear Solid 4. I would also personally suggest Uncharted, Heavenly Sword and Disgaea 3. The PS3 also has plenty to look forward to: Final Fantasy Versus XIII, God of War III, Katamari Forever, Heavy Rain, The Last Guardian, MAG and White Knight Chronicles. Also, Fat Princess.

Wii

The main benefit the Wii has going is probably that a lot of its killer exclusives are already out. Mario Galaxy, Twilight Princess, Smash Bros. Brawl, WarioWare: Smooth Moves, Mario Kart Wii, Punch-Out!!, Super Paper Mario, Boom Blox and de Blob. I would have included Metroid Prime 3, but you'll be able to buy the whole upgraded Trilogy soon, so might as well wait for that. Other games down the line include Mario Galaxy 2, A Boy and His Blob, FF Crystal Chronicles: Crystal Bearers, Metroid Other M, New Super Mario Bros Wii, Silent Hill: Shattered Memories and Cave Story (if you haven't played it already). Probably a Pikmin game, too. Animal Crossing: Wild World is fun if you haven't played an Animal Crossing before. And Wii Sports is still pretty fun too.

Also recall the Wii's Virtual Console features. Tons of classics to be found in there if you don't own them already.

But if you can't decide which set of exclusives excite you most and you can afford the PS3, I suggest just going with that. The Wii will always be there at a relatively cheap price point. And having a BluRay player around really is nice.

Wow, thanks for the time investment in your posts, guys. That gives me a lot to look at and consider. Completely forgot about Metroid Primes. How do they compare to other popular shooters?

Darkesword: I do have enough for either, but if I get the PS3 I'll need to be ECSTATIC about it in order for it to take my mind off the brutal murder of the cushion I had built into my checking account.

Completely forgot about Metroid Primes. How do they compare to other popular shooters?

They're really a completely different kind of shooter. I remember we all once had a long argument over whether the Prime series was really an FPS or a puzzle/adventure/whatever game. You do shoot a lot of things, but there's a lot more focus on exploring the world, getting past obstacles and building your arsenal with new weapons and abilities.

Basically, do you remember what Super Metroid felt like? It's just like that. In 3D.

Point conceded.

But I haven't seen anyone say something like "Dude, BLANK is terrible, just look at how many more games BLANK has to offer." There have been lots of pros and cons, but really no definite "pick this one" statements. I might just have to flip a coin.