New 2D Sonic in 2010

halc

Well, I think you could say that about alot of the classic oldschool games of that generation. It's personal preference, really. The Sonic games really made full use of the Genesis' sound engine above almost any other game on the system, and I have no problem saying that they easily rivaled the sound produced by the SNES. I think that's why we all love the music from those games in particular.

On a side-note...I love how this topic went on the tangent of why we loved the old Genesis Sonic games. (and consequently why this new one should really stick to the precedent set by those games)

I'm glad you put the "almost" in there because I still think subterrania beat Sonic to hell in pretty much every category except level size/length when it comes to technical impressiveness.

While I still love the 2D Sonic Advance titles (and Sonic Rush) and Unleashed, I do have to say it's an acquired taste now. If you want truly great platforming, get Littlebigplanet, Mario Galaxy or Ratchet and Clank. Or just buy Banjo Kazooie and Tooie on XBLA like me and get something crazy like 50 amazing hours of gameplay out of it.

Yes, it's running fast, avoiding some pitfalls and enemy placements and getting better times and getting cryptic items along the way. Typical Sonic. It probably is very difficult to update that formula into something as thoughtfully made as the slower platformers. And that's more or less Sonic. If you have 'outgrown' that type of gameplay, then go ahead. I would admit that the gameplay just can't change much for the better for the most part, unless they manage to slow down Sonic and somehow make the gameplay as deep as something like Banjo Kazooie's. Which to me is an impossibility.

LBP is all about user created maps. Too bad most of them are pretty bad. There are some really amazing stuff in the cracks though.

I liek LilBigPlanet. :3

I have this cool sackboy:

Kabuki Hair

Neon Lines Skin

Tuxedo

Black Pants

Rain boot

Wand

and wings made from bird feather decorations.

It would be cool if you could make your own items ;) I'd love a Sonic sack.

I wasn't denying there is Genesis music that is fucking awesome and as good or better than Sonic's. I'm just pointing out that Sonic's was more than above-average for the system in terms of the sound engine of the system.

I think Jesper Kyd did better. Hell, the OST for The Adventures of Batman and Robin sounded way ahead of its time in terms of sound quality.

Believe it or not, I think a massive improvement to the story structure would go a long way. Story's not something you usually think of with Sonic, and before Sonic Adventure you didn't have to (although S3&K's linking the levels together was a very nice touch, something I've never seen since). But then that game came along and... holy crap, that story was awesome! Grand mythology, E-102 Gamma's internal struggle, that was some good stuff. I'd been reading the Sonic comics all along, so it was nice to see a story which aspired to that level of complexity. SA2's story was markedly worse, but it still wasn't horrible and its gameplay was better so I let it slide.

But what kind of garbage did we get after that? Sonic Heroes was the same story four times, Shadow the Hedgehog gave us a momentary reprieve, and don't even get me started on STH 2006. Sonic Rush aspired to be the next S3&K, but its story was so flimsy and juvenile (and its levels so disconnected) I could hardly take it seriously (there were also gameplay issues I had, like with badniks being positioned in just the wrong place in order to screw you up). So it's got to either have the story quality of Sonic Adventure or the minimalism of S3&K. But do NOT NOT NOT "Sonic Rush" the story.