OCR TF2: Stab stab stab!

FireSlash

TF2 wiki says it only does 100 damage.

TF Wiki says it does 35 average damage, but the first time you hit someone with it, it does an extra 150ish damage.

Anyway, on a different subject...

Right now, cp_degrootkeep runs for the normal 30 minutes. Given how short its rounds are, I was wondering if we should shorten that to 20 minutes or maybe even 15 minutes?

Also, people mentioned adding customs, but I don't recall anyone actually giving any suggestions... so... give us suggestions!

To get the ball rolling on custom maps, I've added the current features maps from both TF2Stats (Hi FireSlash!) and TF2Maps to the server's nominate list. Those maps are:

CP Temple

Version: final

File: cp_temple

A 4cp attack/defend map using the textures from cp_egypt. It is similar to Gravelpit, except it has one point BLU must capture at the beginning. Once point A is captured, points B and C can be taken.

CP Biodome

Version: Beta 1

File: cp_biodome_b1

A 5cp symmetric map. It is a mix of indoor and outdoor areas, split into roughly 5 buildings inside a biodome.

Still a work in progress, though... the author details things he's fixed that will be in the next version, due out after the holidays.

Mirrored Maps - Series 1

Version: final

Files:

cp_lwobtsud

cp_tiplevarg

pl_retawdab

Mirrored versions of Dustbowl, Gravelpit, and Badwater.

CP Axle

Version: Beta 3b

File: cp_axle_b3b

A 5cp symmetric map. New version expected soon.

Note: On the nominate lists, the mirrored maps are not in alphabetical order. They are instead placed directly after the maps they mirror.

Edit:

While I was at it, I made a few fixes here and there. They are:

Updated TF2 Logger.

Updated SDKHooks gamedata files. Apparently, while it still appeared to be working, any plugins that depend on it could crash said plugin when they tried to use it. This includes the stat logging plugin.

Updated Mapchooser Extended to consider cp_degrootkeep a non-custom map.

How much do the mirror maps mess with you? Does it take a bit to get used to and then you're just fine or do you still find yourself slipping up because you ran into a wall where before you knew there was cover?

I only checked to see if they'd download correctly and show up in the nomination list... from the quick look I took, they do mess with your head a bit.

TF Wiki says it does 35 average damage, but the first time you hit someone with it, it does an extra 150ish damage.

Anyway, on a different subject...

Right now, cp_degrootkeep runs for the normal 30 minutes. Given how short its rounds are, I was wondering if we should shorten that to 20 minutes or maybe even 15 minutes?

Also, people mentioned adding customs, but I don't recall anyone actually giving any suggestions... so... give us suggestions!

15 sounds good to me.

Any news on the issue with Steel crashing the server?

Not that I'm aware of. The hlds_linux mailing list implied that it happens on stock servers, so even without SourceMod, etc... installed, it was still happening:

"Since this update, it seems the modelprecache table is now full on certain official maps. Just try and load cp_steel and you'll see your server crash due to a full table."

pl_swiftwater Currently on RC11 or 12, his update log is slightly confusing. Single stage payload like Badwater, seems to be generally well received.

pl_cashworks RC2, also a single stage payload, but has FPS issues?

cp_glacier 3 point A/D map a la Gravelpit, RC6. I remember we played on it before ages ago, but can't remember how we liked it.

ctf_haarp Multistage A/D CTF map, winner of the CTF half of the CTF vs. PLR competition on TF2Maps.net. (Nightfall was the PLR winner.) BLU must bring the intelligence to the control points in sequence, where it instantly caps if there are no REDs to block it. Beta 2.

I thought I had more than that in mind, but I guess not...

Thoughts on the medic crossbow: It's not for combat at all, as you're nearly useless even compared to the syringe guns.

However, the ability to have one shot of burst-healing is useful, as is healing across an unsafe gap beyond the reach of your beam. It'd be much better if you could overheal with it, but I'll take what I can get. Note that I say "one shot" because unless your timeframe is very long (5 seconds or more) then firing once and immediately switching back to the medigun is ideal efficiency. Over time, the crossbow heals faster than the medigun, but it doesn't build uber, making it not useful over long periods of time.

The extra regen from the combo of both weapons looks really nice, as does the taunt effect on the new saw (which may be slightly OP on clustered A/D maps).

We tried the mirror maps tonight.

In my opinion, they suck. Badly. Just stick with the stock versions.

cp_temple wasn't that popular either.

cp_biodome might show some promise, though...

I don't think we played the last one.

temple was AWFUL.

The mirror maps were fun for a bit but got old fast.

biodome was decent. It looked really nice too.

Why did the mirrored maps bomb so hard? Was it just the overwhelming meh from being more or less the exact same map? (Ohnoes, we have to turn left instead of right. Whatever shall we do?)

There was a bit of that, a lot of cognitive dissodence in how people were reacting, and i think a couple of the maps it actually made it easier for the defenders..... (mirror dustbowl point three, i'm looking at you)....

There was a bit of that, a lot of cognitive dissodence in how people were reacting, and i think a couple of the maps it actually made it easier for the defenders..... (mirror dustbowl point three, i'm looking at you)....

Wait, what? You'll need to explain that one to me.

Except take your time since I'll be gone for a week.

and i think a couple of the maps it actually made it easier for the defenders..... (mirror dustbowl point three, i'm looking at you)....
Wait, what? You'll need to explain that one to me.

Except take your time since I'll be gone for a week.

Only thing I can think of is right handed character models being default. The corridors between point 1 and point 2 are normally left turns for offense, which means they can spam rockets and stickies around the corners without being visible. If the map was mirrored then defense would then have that to their advantage? Not sure how else balance could be affected by mirrors.

Only thing I can think of is right handed character models being default. The corridors between point 1 and point 2 are normally left turns for offense, which means they can spam rockets and stickies around the corners without being visible. If the map was mirrored then defense would then have that to their advantage? Not sure how else balance could be affected by mirrors.

Rambo gets it in one!

Wait, so because there's a big honkin' weapon on the right side of the screen for most classes, that provides an advantage? Am I the only one that strafes corners?

Not sure I get what you mean. With right handed character's, shots actually originate from the right side of your model, not the middle. For instance if youre turning left around a corner, you can press your face up against the wall (nothing but wall in your vision) you can still shoot and hit things around the corner because essentially 'your gun can see them'. This means that if you're a soldier or a demo, you can spam rockets or stickies at sentries and land direct hits, without ever seeing the sentry (more importantly the sentry never seeing you).

Alternatively, if you're turning RIGHT, you might not see the wall at all anymore, but you might still hit it because your gun hasn't cleared it yet.

Now imagine 2 soldiers in close proximity, on either side of a corner. The soldier that has the wall on his left will be able to land direct rockets, while the soldier with the wall on his right will deal 0 damage to the opposing soldier, and barrage himself with splash damage. Its a considerable advantage.

TLDR: right handed character models are a big to do.

Since suggestions were asked for custom maps:

cp_takeback_moutain

Gravelpit style with a lot of routes.

cp_obscure

Very fun 5 CP map. The last point also doesn't instantly cap, which is nice.

cp_gullywash

Has interesting two-tiered capture points allowing a point to be defended or attacked at multiple levels.

To add to what Rambo stated earlier. Projectiles exit from the right side of the character by default. This can be reversed by switching to left handed viewmodels. This is why it is impossible to change viewmodels once connected to a server because it offers a heavy advantage. I think all bullet weapons exit from the center of the character, though.

This did seem like a fun game but I almost didn't want to get it for fear of feeling like I... betrayed (?) TF2. Can you "betray" a game? If the gameplay is distinct enough, I just may pick it up over the holiday season!

It's very much different. It's worth the shot.

Like I said, it's completely different compared to TF2. I can't really consider it betrayal since they're nowhere near clones of each other. TF2 lacks uber sexy stealth types. And robot minions.

Back on TF2, has anyone learned if the new Spy mask... hat thing can be found by drop yet? I'll be extremely saddened if it was Festive Crate only.