OCR02031 - Super Mario Bros. "The 2-2 Blues"

For the record: I dislike Randy Newman. He's got talent, and is creative enough, I just don't like the music he makes for the most part. Even if it is emotionally stirring.

Thus, I have an innate dislike of this track from a perspective of taste. Still, this is well executed, thoughtful, creative, and you are a really good singer for what you are doing! So it's not going on any of my playlists, but I still liked it enough to listen through, and feel a little bit warmer and fuzzier.

Definitely hearing Randy Newman in there.

The piano performance is wonderful, the vocals are good (though a bit quiet), and the lyrics are just pure awesome. Lines like "you're in someone else's castle" and "it's-a-me" are perfect.

And I agree with djp; we need more blues piano in here.

This was such a pleasant surprise to see on the site! A pleasure to listen to, and shows incredible character ingrained into the piano and vocals.

The piano playing is smooth, but that's not really what this mix is about. It's about the lyrics and singing. This song has clever lyrics with great execution.

Needless to say, this song was awesome. <3 it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Perhaps it's just because of my life experiences, but this song brought tears to my eyes. If I tried to write my own parody songs, I'd strive to be this good. brentalfloss, you are an inspiration and are wonderful at your craft.

The Randy Newman comments seem valid; I enjoyed the light layering of instruments, especially the rotary organ. The vocal flourishes were a nice touch, and the lyrics made Mario seem like he was full of integrity and hope, constantly marching on despite not having an assured goal. Beautiful!

EDIT: I realized that I was not listening to the version posted on OCRemix - I was listening to it on Spotify. The Spotify version (from the album Bits of Me) does not have the sound quality issues mentioned in the initial review of this mix. So definitely listen to the album version - and buy it (like I will!) if you like it. Is there a reason the OCRemix version is different?

Edited by SirLouie

Perhaps it's just because of my life experiences, but this song brought tears to my eyes. If I tried to write my own parody songs, I'd strive to be this good. brentalfloss, you are an inspiration and are wonderful at your craft.

The Randy Newman comments seem valid; I enjoyed the light layering of instruments, especially the rotary organ. The vocal flourishes were a nice touch, and the lyrics made Mario seem like he was full of integrity and hope, constantly marching on despite not having an assured goal. Beautiful!

EDIT: I realized that I was not listening to the version posted on OCRemix - I was listening to it on Spotify. The Spotify version (from the album Bits of Me) does not have the sound quality issues mentioned in the initial review of this mix. So definitely listen to the album version - and buy it (like I will!) if you like it. Is there a reason the OCRemix version is different?

The OCReMix version is much older, and Brent recorded it on his own at home. The 'Bits of Me' version was recorded well after this was posted and I presume it was done in a studio.

• 7 months later...

Man I really like this song but that vocal recording is just killin' me. :( I guess it won't be a bother on iPod headphones, but on a nice set it's hard not to notice. Maybe the vocals could be a bit more reverby too, but more than anything it needs a better recording.

Regardless.. this arrangement rocks and brings a creative approach to the source. A very memorable song on OCR and worth downloading. Nice job.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR02031 - Super Mario Bros. "The 2-2 Blues"