Contact Info

Your ReMixer name : Gman

Your real name : Stephane Guenette

Your email address : djGmanX@hotmail.com

Your website: none

ReMix Info

Name of game(s) ReMixed : Final Fantasy 2J, Final Fantasy X

Name of individual song(s) ReMixed : Pandemonium, Battle Theme, FF2j

I made this song a lil while earlyer for IMC13 I won it, some people wanted me to post it on here, I think its pretty good.

No dude, this was IMC15. You won IMC15, not 13. StarBlast won 13. Like a fax machine, remember?

Okay so, I really enjoy this piece. It's a bit standard as far as techno goes, but it arranges the source material nicely, and the sounds are solid enough.

Not particularly groundbreaking, and a bit short, but I liked it.

For good measure, here's my review from IMC15, which I judged in.

GMan - Running is Not an Option

.. FF2 Pandemonium

.. FF2 Battle

.. FF10 Battle

GMan brings us a truly enjoyable techno piece that covers his source tunes nicely. He starts off with a high woodwind arrangement of Pandemonium(FF2) over ambient nature effects, and quickly segues into a four-on-the-floor trance beat. Nice attention to note durations from :36 to :53, with the staccato switching to legato. GMan changes it up to some sweet coverage of the FF10 battle theme, with a pumping on-the-upbeat bassline and great, balanced synths. At 2:01 we hear an interpreted synthy FF2 Battle. Percussion has some nice hat work, and at the same time doesn't call too much attention to itself.

One thing; The mix just sort of stops. A proper ending would have been nice. Some kind of "DAHT!" on the root or something. ;)

Regardless, a very solid mix.

YES

A rather jumpy song. Goes from theme to theme with no real transition or consideration for the listener. Not a flaw, I would say, just a decision I really dont like.

Relevant issues with this song would be

Rather generic take on these themes. Boom tish + tuned saws. Play out the lead, follow with octave bassline, go to next theme, repeat, repeat, repeat.

Lack of progression or any significant change up. The whole song sounds like any given portion.

Poor ending.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like we're gonna have a nice divergence of opinions. While not a techno fan in particular, I felt this worked really well for the techno genre in spite of the generic synth choices. Though the sounds were the same throughout, I felt that this moved well from section to section. Sudden transitions tend to hurt the flow of most remixes I've heard, but I didn't find anything wrong with them here and actually felt that they were pulled off pretty well; it's not criminal to use sudden transitions, just bad form in most cases.

And while Prot & Vig feel that everything here belies laziness, I'm hard pressed to agree. This doesn't develop in the way most tracks are expected to here. There's not much in the way of contrast or a change of dynamics here; rather, there are periodic shifts in the groove, but I feel that works just as well. On a side note, the FF10 Battle theme's treatment to fit with this genre at :53 was the most impressive area for me arrangement-wise. Good groove and a nice medley piece, IMO. Not innovative work, but solid to me nonetheless; I didn't feel there were any particular problems that went beyond the subjective.

YES

My immediate impression - Fruity Loops presets. Let's see if it improves, or if the arrangement transcends sound quality issues.

Basic offbeat bass is not well EQ'd. There is no real meat to it, and it's got that typical "wah" sound that every preset techno bass has. There is no attempt to liven up the bassline. This could have been transcribed in 10 minutes.

Typical staccato, then doubled, then legato synth apreggiation. Typical offbeat synth melody. I've heard all of these sounds before. The whole track smells like prepackaged electronica. And it's a stale smell, indeed.

But who cares about presets and lazy mixing fundamentals if there's a stellar arrangement? Unfortunately, this mix lacks just that. On top of the typical, chord progression-derived bassline and the arpeggiation to match it, there is little if any melodic or harmonic originality in this tune.

Add to that, the vastly overused OOM-TSS percussion with no kind of changeup or anything to tell me that this wasn't lifted directly from the latest Eiffel 55 song. OOM-TSS can be done well, and it can be done in creative ways. Experiment.

I need to detect a bit of effort in the arrangement departmentand and a hint of sound quality fundamentals to justify placing this on the OCR front page.

NO

-D

The problems with this mix are its dull sounds, awkward sequencing, and straightforward arrangement. Judging a presence of effort in a submission is a pretty useless effort itself, but it's safe to say by how much of a boring template dance song this mix sounds like that not all too much creativity could have gone into making this. Basic, basic repetitious beat and one-note sequenced leads are especially tiring.

Mediocre.

NO

I'd like to see this one get a few more votes before we finalize it. There's a big divergence as to whether the construction of the remix is passable or not and the YESs are secure enough in their votes that it's not simply an easy NO. Don't wanna sound as if I'm all for drawing out every vote, but we've got Gray on the fence on this one, and I'd rather see either him or someone else either continue the debate on this or seal it with a 3Y/5N vote.

i'd like to give gman the benefit of the doubt, but i can't get past the genericness of this mix. it's the completely typical fruityloops stuff we often get.

it sounds ok, it sounds nice and full... there's really nothing 'wrong' with this mix but it just doesn't stand out as something i'd find passable.

it's OK to be generic. but you still have to do it better than the guy standing next to you.

no