Dragon Quest IX

Arcana

When my gladiator is fully tensioned and has been Oomphed (or Double Up'd) she can do about 800 damage. Only problem is, she wasn't a martial artist first, so I have to wait for her coup de grace (yeah, it's a limit break, so what?) for that.

Also, who else loves the Coup de Graces?

And who finds Stella to be kinda annoying at times?

I tried fighting Baramos... with a level 23 party. Needless to say things did not go well.

I'm currently just grinding and completing quests. I'm going back to job classes that aren't over level 40 and grinding, grinding, grinding. I want mah stat bonuses!

That said Baramos looks pretty goofy.

I just finally got my Fyggs gathered.. I've heard talk that the bosses were supposed to be challenging.. Maybe it's because I took every profession to 20 before I progressed.. But my strategy usually entails a max tension gladiator with Double up and a Fource element added to it.. Hit my last boss for a 1.7k damaging strike non critical.. The boss in the Cave of Woe surprised me. My group was 26 and he managed to dish out a bit of punishment. Otherwise I'm still plugging along in the game. Going around working on alchemy and picking up gear as I'm broke.

As for Stella.. I find her downright annoying all the time.. especially checking my battle stats to see that "It's the slowly slowly catchy fyggy approach. You clever monkey you." It makes me stab her endlessly with my stylus as it's all she'd say for the longest time. I mean good Lord.. she could atleast ask me how the weather was or something.

As for Stella.. I find her downright annoying all the time.. especially checking my battle stats to see that "It's the slowly slowly catchy fyggy approach. You clever monkey you." It makes me stab her endlessly with my stylus as it's all she'd say for the longest time. I mean good Lord.. she could atleast ask me how the weather was or something.

This.

Also, being lazy, not doing sidequests and trying to go to the grotto thinking it would be easy was stupid.

Martial artists get "Psych up" which increases their tension. That and Egg On make getting to max fairly easy, actually.

Man, good memories of us two and Kulaman just doing Egg On NONSTOP to get OA to super-high tension just so we could actually do damage to that stupid boss on the FIRST map. XD

(I still can't beat that guy by myself)

Man, good memories of us two and Kulaman just doing Egg On NONSTOP to get OA to super-high tension just so we could actually do damage to that stupid boss on the FIRST map. XD

(I still can't beat that guy by myself)

I can! And you guys didn't play with me :(

Ok so that was 6 levels ago and I didn't have a chance then. But still!

By the way, Stella = the fairy that accompanies you (Sandy in JP version), yeah? I only find her mildly irritating; it'd be better though if your character actually said a few lines to compensate instead of being a silent protagonist. KF

All of you Sandy haters need to lay off. Stella is the life of the party, and the sooner you realize it, the sooner you won't have a bone toothpick with her.

Also, I have the Masayuki map. For anyone who doesn't know, that's the Silver Marsh of Bane level 58, with a discover date of some gibberish (the Japanese characters were taken out of the English version). The 11th floor? ALL KING METAL SLIMES. And, thanks to the experience to level... leveling off at around 88k EXP, you can get to 99 as any class really, really easily. Like, in two hours or less.

THINGS I RECOMMEND AFTER PLAYING THE GAME A LOT MORE THAN LAST TIME!

- Get someone with Thunder Thrust (spears), Crackerwhack (hammers), or Hatchet Man (axes). Preferably several. These will come in VERY VERY HANDY when hunting liquid and king metals, as crits go through defense and are basically a free instant-kill. King metals are basically impossible to kill by whittling off 1 HP at a time (thanks to their run rate), so these skills are an absolute necessity.

- Ignore the guide that says you can find them in Tower of Nod. They very, VERY rarely show up alongside other monsters (never on the map itself), and you're much better off just looking for high level grottos to go through. If you see Slugly Betsys and the like wandering around, congratulations, that floor has metals somewhere. Good luck finding them. And make sure you bring Evac-u-bells or someone with Evac so you can work yourself nearly dead and still evacuate without killing the boss.

- Unlock all the jobs. I made the mistake of leaving Ranger until way late game to unlock, even though that class is coming in really handy as far as getting the extra points I need to max out the necessary skills. And Wolf Whistle is a great boss attack. Luminary, despite its "souped-up Minstrel" style, is actually really useful, and a character's Charm can cause even legacy boss monsters to lose turns staring enthralled at them. Not only that, but their ball-juggling move (I forget the name) can be really useful against both groups and metals - it's basically a Multithrust/Multifist with a much higher attack and hit rate (and MP cost).

- Log into the DQVC! Even if you can't, log in every Friday to get the hidden quests and cameo characters! Alena (DQIV) and Angelo (DQVIII) are already out, but more are on the way. They give you free stuff when you a) first talk to them, B) talk to them as their favored class, c) talk to them on your birthday, d) talk to them when your inn has over 30 unique guests (no, you can't delete and rescan the same person over and over), and e) after you finish a hidden story quest way postgame (it hasn't been unlocked on the DQVC yet).

Is it just me or does every high-level alchemy recipe ultimately rely on Brighten Rocks? Also, some quests just aren't worth completing. In fact, a lot of quests feel like the reward simply isn't worth it. Either the quest is simple and thus the reward not worth the hassle or it requires a really rare item and the reward is something easier to obtain.

Also, I have the Masayuki map. For anyone who doesn't know, that's the Silver Marsh of Bane level 58, with a discover date of some gibberish (the Japanese characters were taken out of the English version). The 11th floor? ALL KING METAL SLIMES. And, thanks to the experience to level... leveling off at around 88k EXP, you can get to 99 as any class really, really easily. Like, in two hours or less.

Is there only one map per level? I have a Lv.58 map right now (named "Sublime Land" or "けだかき大地") and I'm wondering if it's the same.

Alternatively, you could give me the map and I can let you know what the discover date is {^^}. KF

No, there are as many maps as you complete - I think you can only keep like 100 of them, but you can always discard the low-level ones to keep going. I'm not actually certain the one I have is Masayuki's; I can't find a good Youtube that shows off the level name and location of the actual one, so the one I have is good enough.

No, there are as many maps as you complete - I think you can only keep like 100 of them, but you can always discard the low-level ones to keep going. I'm not actually certain the one I have is Masayuki's; I can't find a good Youtube that shows off the level name and location of the actual one, so the one I have is good enough.

Oh that's not what I meant. I meant, if I also have a map for Lv.58, does that mean it's the same one you're referring to? As in, there isn't more than one map that's Lv.58? KF

Maps can be any level, and any name. You can have 2 maps with the exact same name and level in different locations.

So, no, your level 58 map is not necessarily the same as his level 58 map.

Thanks, that's what I wanted to know. ...actually, it's the information that I wanted to know, but I was rather hoping the answer would be 'yes'.

Here's a guide on the different grotto maps. It's a little confusing.

http://www.woodus.com/den/games/dq9ds/grotto_names.php

Why must you make my life more complicated? :(

Anyway, back to the actual game, I'm getting through the story mode pretty quickly, now that my school-load has lightened up (not my work-load though...). I'm sort of stuck on where to go next at the moment (don't tell me though; I'm trying to get through this one FAQ-less).

Oh, and my main character looks so cute in the Elcyon school uniform and glasses. KF

I'm basically grinding levels, but after level 40 it's almost unbearable. The mere existence of the Darkonium Slime seems counterintuitive to the premise of the aftergame. They're tough as nails, super-powerful, and offer pitiful experience and cash, especially when compared to the monsters in the final dungeon and elsewhere. They're just... a freakin' stopgap, to keep you from surviving higher-level grottoes unless you've alchemized awesome equipment.

That said, jerkfaces like the Octagoon are just as bad... But I don't want to have to fight 50 arduous battles just to gain a single level, especially with diminishing returns in skill points.

Oh well, guess I just gotta get a hundred alchemy items and go at it.

I'm basically grinding levels, but after level 40 it's almost unbearable. The mere existence of the Darkonium Slime seems counterintuitive to the premise of the aftergame. They're tough as nails, super-powerful, and offer pitiful experience and cash, especially when compared to the monsters in the final dungeon and elsewhere. They're just... a freakin' stopgap, to keep you from surviving higher-level grottoes unless you've alchemized awesome equipment.

That said, jerkfaces like the Octagoon are just as bad... But I don't want to have to fight 50 arduous battles just to gain a single level, especially with diminishing returns in skill points.

Oh well, guess I just gotta get a hundred alchemy items and go at it.

Liquid metal slimes are your friend.