Alundra - Are you ready to get your asses kicked by an action RPG?

The Legendary Zoltan

Can't believe I skipped out on this back in the PS1 days. Recently downloaded it and have gotten addicted playing it on my PSP. Sadly, Vagrant Story pushed it aside.

I can't believe how good this game is though. As a huge Zelda fan (played and completed all installments aside from the CD-i ones), I went into it expecting a rip-off but man I was so wrong. Even though it's similar to Zelda's top-down action/RPG gameplay, Alundra does so many things differently. The puzzles are outside-of-the-box from the get-go and jumps can get pretty tricky. The music is just awesome, never grow tired of the village theme (grows on you with that "ugh" vocal sample, someone needs to remix that). I absolutely love the localization as well. Working Designs is truly ahead of its time in terms of Japanese to English game translation. Also, going into people's dreams is a fun gameplay mechanic.

Really need to continue playing it someday.

I've heard of this, many a time, but never actually played it. I wasn't really up to date when the PSX came out, and only really got on board with FFVIII and Chrono Cross (CC was the first game I ever pre-ordered, and I played FFVII on computer the first time).

I watched a gameplay video of, supposedly, the first dungeon. Don't worry, didn't watch any story or anything. Anyway, to me it looks more like Soul Blazer or Illusion of Gaia than Zelda.

If the major puzzle mechanics are just swinging your sword at switches, and putting boxes on pressure plates, I'd probably skip it. It seems to me that it is just... the same as a dozen other games. Also, the sword swing is a little retarded (looks more like he's swinging a dagger, with his elbow bolted to his body for all of the range you get).

You got anything else you wanna say about the game to convince me?

Tried playing it on an emulator because of this thread, got about 30 minutes in and it froze. Tried reloading the game and it wouldn't load my saved game. Kind of moved to the back of my to-do list of games now that that happened.

Holy shit dude, that sucks.

Just grab a beer and start over. It's a good game.

Tried playing it on an emulator because of this thread, got about 30 minutes in and it froze. Tried reloading the game and it wouldn't load my saved game. Kind of moved to the back of my to-do list of games now that that happened.

Here you are folks. To all nonbelievers as to the difficulty of this game.. This man's computer couldn't survival the emulator boss. Tough stuff indeed.