Harmony of a Hunter - The Metroid 25th Anniversary album

Darren1986

As much as I like Other M's soundtrack at points, there's so little of it that's actually remixable by common standards.

I mean I can throw some glissandos at you (those string EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEs) and put some random drum bangs in there, but I don't think that's what you're looking for : p

If you can set me up for a tenative Temple Grounds.

Being the Emperor Ing himself, I need to show my titular game some love.

If I have time that is.

Sure thing, but if it's just tenative then I should probably just keep it blank, because someone might come along who definately wants it. But sure, i'll keep you in mind.

Other M had a soundtrack? Why wasn't I informed?

The only soundtrack I can remember were the end credits.

Oh and while you're at it can you remix Sanctuary Fortress? I love that song.

It has plenty of themes if you listen closely enough :)

I hope someone picks up Sanctury Fortress too, it'd be great if someone could cover it.

Hey guys! I'm proud to announce that we have Grant Henry from Metroid Metal on board, this is amazing. We've also had a very kind offer from Aaron Marshall who has offered to master the album for us.

I've also been speaking with the University of Maryland Gamer Symphony Orchestra to provide a performance but unfortunately it'll probably be ready after the project is finished, but who knows what the future holds. For now, we have a lot of support and i'd like to thank everyone who has sent in WiP's already, we've had a lot of passion on this project so far.

Aaron Marshall has kindly offered to master the album for us and has given instructions to all members on the project on specifications in order to effectively master this album. They are outlined on the first post so please check those out.

Just get the thing to me and in the best quality you can manage! That's all that can be asked of you really =P Keep up the good work!

Yeah, don't worry about it too much. Just give yourself plenty of headroom so you don't even come close to clipping. In this day and age, the one of 24/32 bit audio; it's asinine to clip anything. There's so much headroom.

One good thing to keep in mind is; even the best converters will start to distort in some small way beyond 3db below 0dbfs. That means when your master meter peaks at -3. Chances are, you don't have anywhere near the best converters anyway, so you're dealing with an even stickier situation.

Amping up your mixes too loudly is kind of like running a car engine floored in neutral. There's no functionality, yet the technical aspect of your device/machine is being strained unnecessarily.

Feel confident in your recordings. Glance at your master meter. If it's hitting too hard, drag the fader down, and turn the volume up to a reasonable level on your playback system. Don't use your mix to give you the volume you think you need. Be in control. Loudness has nothing to do with the amplitude you can give your mixes.

Let the mastering engineer get things up to a competitive level. They know what they're doing, and we have a focus on doing just that.

Playback level is important. Listen to your favorite music and have your friends sit next to you. Can you carry on a conversation? You should be able to with maybe a slight amount of elevated voices. If your playback system sounds like a rock concert and you have to yell, it's way too loud. Your mixes won't come out properly. If it's too quiet, you'll be tempted to mix louder, which is detrimental to your sound.

Trust me. I want the best not only for you, but for music and audio at large.

I'd like to withdraw from making the ending suite and would like to take on Nightmare. I think it's time I made a better Nightmare remix that doesn't loop.

That's fine, I shall update the list. Can I please request that you send me your e-mail address via youtube or pm on OCR as I do not have it on my list for some reason.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys just a further update.

I'm hoping to finalise the list of tracks for this album at some point this month. We still have no takers on Metroid Prime 2's soundtrack, it'd be great if we had some support for the soundtrack. If anyone has any suggestions for tracks from that game or can take any on, please let me know.

I'm also considering a theme to finish the album on called "What's past is prologue" and this is going to be the theme from the Metroid: Other M live action commercial. There's a big demand for this track and I feel it would tie off the album very nicely.

Here's the commercial:

Here's a fan made version:

Is there anyone that can create this theme as close to the original as possible with perhaps a little creativity to make it into a fuller song? Let's see some ideas flow :)

• 4 weeks later...

Well guys! We've reached our first deadline and overall it's been hugely successful. Just three tracks were unable to meet their deadlines, so people are now free to check those out and take them if they so wish (anything in purple). The standard la for this album have really impressed me. There has been some truly dedicated people and I'm very impressed with the outcome so far. May it continue! :)

• 3 weeks later...

So, all my remixes are done.

I've sent them to you via email.

Artifacts is synth-orchestra and Brinstar NES is classic trance.

Hope you like it and may it fit to the album.

If I can do anything further for you, feel free to tell me. :)

• 2 weeks later...
With all this organising, i've completely forgotten to give this album a name. I'm looking for suggestions. DJPretzel suggested 'Suit up' and that's the only consideration i've got right now from what i've heard.

Any suggestions, feel free to post them here :)

How about "Suit Up and Roll Out?"

It is exciting, isn't it? :grin:

On a side note, is it just me, or is there an abnormally small amount of support for Super Metroid? Darren, how's the support for Metroid II/Metroid Prime 2: Echoes?

There is support for these tracks, we would love a bit more but right now my focus is on getting the existing tracks completed. Once we have a fair few done, we can move forward to try and get as many tracks as we can before the cut off date.

Few ideas:

Unidentified Distress Signal

Metroid: Artifacts

Metroid: The Lost Artifact

Metroid: The Coming Sun

On a side note, I feel that my Rundas mix is now a substantial WIP. I should my mixes completely finished by May 30th, if not sooner.

I'm not really sure how those last 3 really fit into Metroid.. especially "The Coming Sun." Unless I'm missing a piece of the lore.

A couple ideas:

Chronicles of a Galactic Bounty Hunter

Samus Aran vs The Universe