OC ReMix starter pack?

I thought it might be a neat idea to make a sample pack for people new to production to download here. I was thinking a few basic breaks (funky drummer, amen, etc.), a handful of free "essential" VSTs, synth patches, and a few custom samples that some of the remixers here have made or found (pad sounds, drum hits, etc.). Would anyone else be interested in doing this?

i'm sceptical.

FL comes with what you could call a starter pack, right? well, guess what defines the 'FL noobsound'.

you can make unique sounding music with it no problem, but it's a rare thing to happen, esp. when made by newbies.

with people putting in that bit of extra effort to collect their own set of samples, synths and presets, there's simply a higher chance for more sonic variety.

that said, i'm sure i would've enjoyed some kind of 'essential pack' as a newb. i think what i'm having trouble with is making it an official oc remix thing, implicitly suggesting 'download and you're good to go'.

something like a collective sound library would be a nice project tho.

A better idea: make a few tracks in various styles (orchestral, rock, electronic) using only free plugins and DAW or free effects. When you can show someone how that already results in something great - and give away the arrangement with annotations why you did that there - and all you need is say, the FL starter edition or Reaper and a few plugs, you don't have the noob sound problem and an incredible compelling reason to show that production on the cheap is possible and that the result hinges on skill, not equipment.

A better idea: make a few tracks in various styles (orchestral, rock, electronic) using only free plugins and DAW or free effects. When you can show someone how that already results in something great - and give away the arrangement with annotations why you did that there - and all you need is say, the FL starter edition or Reaper and a few plugs, you don't have the noob sound problem and an incredible compelling reason to show that production on the cheap is possible and that the result hinges on skill, not equipment.

Great idea :<

Seriously, though, I do agree with Yoozer that this could really help out prospective mixers. I'd really like to see this done in other genres/DAWs.

If they're just VST's and wavs, most DAWs should be able to run them...

True, tho that won't really show ppl exactly what's been done in the tracks, you need project files for that... and those tend to be daw-specific. Depends on what the pack is for, to show what can be done or to show how it's done. Depends if we go by the plan in the OP or with Yoozer's imo better plan (which is more work tho).

Depends if we go by the plan in the OP or with Yoozer's imo better plan (which is more work tho).

Well my plan was just to provide a set of high-quality samples to kind of get things started in their collection. I like Yoozer's plan but its very specific to DAW and things get even more convoluted when talking about 3rd party VSTs.

I like the idea Fishy kind of mentioned with instructional video though, since it gives an idea of workflow and the actual nitty-gritty of remixing.

Yoozer's idea is good but definitely time-consuming. I plan on doing a very thorough tutorial on making a remix from scratch, though this doesn't use all free/easily-accessible stuff.

I like the idea of actually having a bundle of freely available (and/or custom) synths + samples, since we have stickies with this type anyway. I don't think the two are mutually exclusive. For example, I would suggest things like:

* Synth1

* mda Effects package

* ProteusVX

* sfz/some other soundfont player

* A handful of free soundfonts

etc.

Thing is, how would you go on redistributing it? You'd have to be 100% certain that the wave files that were submitted didn't violate any copyrights, and that you have permission of the software author to redistribute the plugin from another location than their own website. Imagine getting a sweet kickdrum submitted by someone only to find out that they renamed a Vengeance sample or something.

Torrents come to mind as the most effective - but if you're on campus, chances are that it'll take ages to download, because they're pinched.

I think the pack idea is really great and I think Nutritious' execution of the idea is really great (I honestly didn't know about it) but you'd have to iron these kinds of things out on beforehand so you can distribute it without getting the smackdown.

Thing is, how would you go on redistributing it? You'd have to be 100% certain that the wave files that were submitted didn't violate any copyrights, and that you have permission of the software author to redistribute the plugin from another location than their own website. Imagine getting a sweet kickdrum submitted by someone only to find out that they renamed a Vengeance sample or something.

Why would you have to be 100% certain? This doesn't have to be an Official OCRemix pack or something like that, and sampling laws are dubious at the moment anyway (do you really think all of the breaks floating around on the internet are licensed?) If the pack is only made up of a few Remixers sharing a few personal samples (For example, I have a fair amount of one-hits I'm willing to share. While there may be a vengeance sample as one of the layers, the kick as a whole was processed by me), then I'm pretty sure that there's enough trust in the community that someone isn't going to just post a bunch of sample CD samples.

As for hosting, I don't really have a solution, but honestly if we put it up on mediafire or a free hosting site it'd work. The size of the pack shouldn't be bigger than 100MB ideally.