FFVII - Interrupted by Fireworks

-I wanted to share my version of FF7's 'Interrupted by Fireworks', which among many of the FF7 tunes has stuck with me years after playing the game

This piece started out as a simple duet, between my violin and guitar now 2 weeks ago, but I kept adding more and more things

-This is my second completed remix, and so I've had problems with quality, direction and mastering, but this little project has taught me a lot of things.

Special thanks to everyone who contributed ideas/suggestions and to Jared Hudson for giving me some much info on how to make it shine just that little more

-In regards to instrumentation, I tried to focus on intimacy and expressiveness to bring out the melody/harmony.

-This thread was magically revived for some reason o.o

Original

'Interrupted by Fireworks'

Thanks DaMonz for naming the remix - awesome name <3

Remix

Title: "Interrupted by Another Dream"

stats.png

I hope you enjoy =)

i absolutely love this track from the FF7 soundtrack too and this arrangement is pretty gorgeous! I felt the violin was rushing when it was playing the solo and everything sounded a bit muddy with both a piano and guitar playing chords at the same time - that said, i'm only listening on laptop speakers. I'm really enjoying this arrangement anyway, i sometimes feel things get a little out of time against the strict quavers in the guitar, especially at the emotive moments. Did you record the instruments individually or were the live instruments played together?

Keep up the good work!

This is fucking beautiful. No two ways about it. I gotta say though, your piano sound is really overbearing in the high frequencies, it has a rather thin sound that doesn't really match up well with the rich, full instrument sounds you're using in the rest of the arrangement. Try some EQing to bring out a bit more tone in the piano, or hit me up and I can bounce some out using my Emotional Piano samples that I think will fit a lot better here. Lemme know if you wanna take me up on that :-)

Also, Yoshi avatar uprising in this thread XD

Well, thanks for remixing another one of my favorites! Terrifically emotive work, as usual. I especially like the high points such as at 0:47. Generally great choice of instruments, too, and they are well mixed to create swells and changes in the mood. It sounds borderline coverish, but the more original part in the middle, and variety of countermelodies add enough to make this a legit remix IMHO. Probably no more conservative than "Quickening" from Humans & Gears, for example.

The others have had some good suggestions. Here are a few of my own:

- Always a good idea to keep working on intonation for the violin -- sometimes it seems a bit off, especially when the piano and violin are doubling each other on the melody

- I'm really not a fan of the horn thing that comes in around 2:05. Maybe mixing it down considerably or adding copious reverb would help... but the best solution would be a different sample.

- Tempo is more solid than your June Mermaid remix, but still could use some work in terms of evenness, particularly the piano when it's playing exposed arpeggios.

I think this will be a great sub if you polish it up and address some of the concerns we have. Great work!

Ok, thanks for the comments guys, I uploaded a new version with a few changes. There are still many things to address that you all rightly pointed out, so I'll get working =D

I'll focus more on the synth instruments and see if I can get the timing a bit tighter between synth and real instruments.

@ Callum, all the instruments were recorded separately, but I'll see if I can make the tempo really match

I'll also see if I can get a chance to record the violin intro bit again that plays with the piano if the house is free, damn violin having no frets >.>

Oh yeah, keep the comments coming, even if you hate it. No offence taken, it's pretty much my job description to be grilled =)

Great piece! I love it! Great performances and emotion, and beautiful remix of a beautiful song.

Only quibble I have is the mixing. There's some clipping, and some of the EQ needs adjusted, as well as some widening and placement. The piano does seem overbearing in some parts, mixing wise. The piano I recommend, that is warm and dark is the Malmsjo Piano (which I've used). I'd be tempted to ask for the raw audio stems (no effects plugins) so I could mix it sweeeeeet. :nicework:

Site

http://www.artvista.net

A Demo from the site (many to listen to)

http://www.artvista.net/Mp3%27s/128%20Kbit/reverie.mp3

You have a winner here. Just a few more steps, and you will drink the champaign.

Ok thanks for the suggestions guys, I'm looking into all the things mentioned.

I think I'm done with the recording side of things, and now am looking at balance, EQ and the the sound quality of the synth involved.

Hoping to make the violin sing more, hopefully with a few tweaks I can get it done. It is hard with the E string, it can be too piercing, but if you put too much EQ it just sounds bad =/

@ Jared Hudson, I really like how that piano sounds. I'll try to get a piano that sounds as lovely as that

@ DaMonz Thanks for the suggestion, it does sound a like a good name. I'll have a bit of a think about it when all the mastering stuff is done =)

I'll work on these finer points over the next couple days then will prob change it to mod review, but keep the suggestions/love/hate coming, happy to hear it all =)

May I also recommend a mastering plugin called Ozone. It's absolutely fantastic. Mix your project, then run Ozone as your last plugin on the master channel, add the preset you want (I like the Exciter & Widener), and it does wonders to your mix, lets it breath with life. The presets alone are great.

Highly recommended, for all your mixes.

http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/ozone/

Ok, thanks for the suggestions guys, I've moved the piano down an octave to see how it sounds

That Malmsjo Piano is a bit pricey, but when I'm not studying maybe I can get it, for now I'll work with what I've got and see if I can make it work

I'll also look into Ozone, I'm still learning how to use music programs let alone plug ins, but I'll try to find out some info about it.

It's great to see all these little tips that you guys with a whole world of experience can share =D

Ok, thanks for the suggestions guys, I've moved the piano down an octave to see how it sounds

That Malmsjo Piano is a bit pricey, but when I'm not studying maybe I can get it, for now I'll work with what I've got and see if I can make it work

I'll also look into Ozone, I'm still learning how to use music programs let alone plug ins, but I'll try to find out some info about it.

It's great to see all these little tips that you guys with a whole world of experience can share =D

Since I was having a hard time finding A/B demos, I put up this as an example of Ozone using the Exciter and Widener preset. (there's TONS of them)

First half is without Ozone, 2nd half is with. Exact same snippets from the song. I believe this was the first project I used it on. Pardon the compression and style of music. Yours will want a more delicate touch (definitely on compression).

http://www.jaredhudson.com/temp/acidraindropsozonedemo.mp3

Another plugin to consider for mastering is Melodyne. Your violinist did a great job, but if you really want to LOCK in the tones and any slightly sharp or flat notes, Melodyne is a tuner (don't mistake for auto-tune) for any recorded audio (voice or any instrument). You can adjust an audio track with midi mapping, just like a sampled instrument, and take a sharp note and make it nail on the exact note, and it does it seamlessly.

http://www.celemony.com/cms/index.php?id=demos

You can use it FULLY for 30 days as a trial, and even save your projects with it, just like you bought it. There's lots of great video tutorials too showing you how to use it.

I'm throwing these out, because this mix could shine so bright. The writing is great, but don't blow it with the final mix! Our ears don't want to get tired!

This is gorgeous. I would recommend, since there doesn't seem to be a whole lot going on in the low end, that second buildup adds some bass. It would really add a lot to the overall feel of the song. I really like it as it stands, but I feel like there is almost nothing below around 200 hz. Maybe a bass guitar or an acoustic bass.

EDIT: I'd like to offer my services mixing/mastering the final version for you if you'd like. Final mastering is an important thing to practice yourself, but I wouldn't mind running through what i did. Again, it sounds fine the way it is, but if you'd be inclined, i'd be happy to help. PM me if you're interested.

-End of a nice relaxing day here,

Thanks a ton Jared for those suggestions and tips, some really useful stuff. Theres no doubt I can master as well as you, (that track you showed was pretty spectacular) but I've started focusing a bit more on the mixing aspect of things. Theres still things like panning and those special presets which I'm still working with.

@Thank you for offering your help, I'll be glad to take it if/when I run into a wall =)

-I've also done some improv for bass guitar stuff as suggested that I'll work later =)

-Anyway, thanks everyone for the comments, hoping everything is heading in the right direction, for this remix and myself =)

Great job, I'm really impressed with the stuff I've heard on here lately. This is really damned good!!! I especially love that you gave it this sensual and soft feel. The guitar and all of the instrumentation is amazing. I just recently started checking out overclocked again.

I was really into it back in like 2000 and actually bought one of the remix CDs. I never posted anything because I didn't really have the skill set or equipment to arrange or record anything. I posted a few FFVII covers I'm working on if you're interested. :D

this sounds absolutely amazing man, you definitely have a good grasp on mixing already. the windchimes are a great touch that really set a sort of nostalgic lazing-around-on-a-sunday-afternoon tone for me. the only sore spot is the piano, which sounds kinda thin in places. i'm not so sure it's a lack of sample quality since it does sound pretty great in some places, so i want to blame your eq haha. i also feel like the mechanical sequencing needs a little more humanization with regards to the tight rhythm and repetitious velocities. try undoing all your eq and applying a gentle boost to around the 950 - 1000 hz frequencies. that should be sufficient in letting it sit in the mix with some distinctive quality without flushing out the violins.

other than that, the layers of acoustic guitar and violin fill up the soundscape in a pleasant and fulfilling way. the resonating, plucked quality of the guitars compliments the airiness of the bowed violins to create a beautiful and rich harmonic layer without being dense. this piece is totally enjoyable on its own and i'm definitely downloading this when it's done, but if you're trying to get it posted here i'm a little worried that the arrangement might come off as too conservative. if that's your end goal, try to take the arrangement into your hands a little more and structure it in a way that lets it stand on its own as a piece rather than incidental music designed for endless looping.

if you ever want mixing help or maybe live piano, feel free to give me a shout

edit: on second listen i actually feel like the violin comes in a little too soon. i think you could spend another two bars setting the tone for the piece by repeating the first two chords before going into the a section with the violin. just my two cents

Ok, thanks guys for the comments. I'm gonna make a few changes, mostly involving the piano then sub it and see what the judges have to say.

It has been great fun making this track and been really educational, so thanks to everyone who commented and gave suggestions.

Hopefully in the future I can learn how to mix better and keep on improving my playing and recording =)

Not sure where this is at in the process, but after what I THINK was an updated version that I heard, here's my critique. I still love the piece.

GOOD

Mix is MUCH better, didn't hear clipping, lots of space, good performances

NEEDS IMPROVEMENT

Piano sounds "tinny" like in a telephone. We lose the warmth of the piece, there's no bottom end. Sounds almost like a toy piano in some places. The piano still needs some mids nearing the lower range to get that blanket warm sound. If anything, I'd almost prefer to pull the highest frequencies down a tad, and boost the low, giving it less bite.

Related to bottom end, the bass that's brought in later sounds good, but there's still not enough mid range to fill the gap. I'd also prefer most of the song with the fuller sound. You could comp the Bass Cello with electric bass, real soft and sexy. :nicework: Another option that works really well is some deep warm synth pads. They add a lot of meat to many mixes, electronic, acoustic, orchestral, you name it.

A simple demo of guitar with synth pads. Subtle and affective. http://www.jaredhudson.com/temp/padguitardemo.mp3

String writing could use some work. You have great opportunities to write more melodic cello lines, or to comp the piano or violin. It's more interesting and musical than whole notes the entire song.

-----

Piece is still good, but just a few glaring production issues, and minor writing. Keep it up bra!