*NO* Mega Man 3 'Spark It Up' *RESUB*

djpretzel

http://www.zophar.net/nsf/megaman3.zip - Track 8 ("Sparkman Stage")

Pretty cool ideas on the sound effect intro. Not really connected to the music start, but ya know, Sparkman and all so let's have some sparks. Decent groove here. Fairly basic sounding; pretty simple and straightforward sounds, but the overall vibe was well put together. Cool arrangement ideas from 1:16-1:41. Nothing particularly liberal, but some good ideas adapting the Sparkman theme to the genre and adding a few personal touches.

1:41 changes the flow with some very random electrosynths with some phaser-type effects. The note patterns on them sounded really bad when they were alone until 1:55. It was better when some other stuff joined in and obscured those sounds.

The source melody at 2:07 sounded really shrill and there weren't too many liberties taken there on the composition side. With well-layered but otherwise basic electronic/trance instrumentation going on in the additive sense, I'm also looking for the source melody itself to have further interpretation on it.

Hits a freeform section at 2:59 that really doesn't come together well. Relies on the same phasing synths and so forth that I referred to before with the iffy notes. Better use of variation on the bare bones of the source tune at 3:50.

You have some very good rearrangement ideas in there so far, especially stuff around the end (4:15-5:07) but that simply retreads a lot of what you had earlier (1:16-1:41). Keep thinking of additional variations to bring in to keep the interpretation creative and flowing before you throw in wholly original section or retrace your steps compositionally.

Wonder why it took so long to resub. In any case, you need a bit more creativity on the composition to keep things interesting/engaging for a 5 1/2 minute mix. I'm sure other Js will have some production comments as well, but overall I liked what you had in place in those regards. Certainly interested in what zircon & analoq would have to say here. Loads of potential, bro. You should probably move onto a new project (in case you were thinking of resubbing again), but still a good effort. Don't forget the WIP & ReMixing boards, keep honing your skills and keep 'em coming!

NO

My favorite electronic music is the kind that flows along gracefully, all the while entrancing you. Maybe they should create a designation for that type of music. Anyway, that's what this is, hypnotizing, entrancing, and mesmerizing. I'll try to think of some more 7 dollar words later.

This track is not Paul Oakenfold, Fatboy Slim, or Crystal Method quality. It has an underground groove to it that is edgier to me than the sometimes over-produced sound of the big time DJs. Long story short, this track has a raw quality to it without falling into the territory of "amateurish". The panning, modulating synths are thick and juicy, and the pads are blended well and provide a very nice atmosphere. Some of the toms are a bit too 80's for the context, but it helps to give it that ol'skool retro feelin'.

There is plenty of alteration to the original, and none of it feels contrived. This track seems to have evolved from the original, rather than arbitrarily assigned to synths, as most dance submissions we get seem to.

This is going on a cd right now. Not much else to say but

America! FUCK YEA!!!

-D

• 3 weeks later...

I'm totally with the Red Baron on this one. While I may not have his rather substantive knowledge of the genre, the attention (And downright adoration) of detail really shines through. Very nice ideas thrown about and *gasp* nicely executed throughout.

Praise be unto the Ph4t B33tz.

YES

And let that be a lesson to you prospoective technophiles (subgenre semantics notwithstanding). It doesn't matter what genre you throw it in, the devil's in the details, and the secret ingredient is love.

• 2 weeks later...

sorry, i'm not recognizing the underground vibe that dan is or feeling the groove that wingless is.

it just sounds very generic to me.

if it was executed very well, there'd be nothing wrong with that.

i will applaud relying on genre cliches if they are executed with skill.

but in this case, the execution feels flat and absent of testicular fortitude.

-- not that dance music has to be an adrenaline rush or anything, but in the end this one comes off as: lacking.

no

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty much agree with analoq on this one.

Production is very plain. Everything sounds thin and simplistic, at least until the first minute. Beyond that, I don't hear anything above the bar here.

There's nothing particularly wrong here, it's pretty catchy, but one could say that has more to do with the source material than anything. What's here for me is a slightly above average arrangement, with below average production, synth design or processing for the most part. As the mix gets further along into it, it does get a bit more sophisticated.

Fun mix, but as analoq said, lacking seems to be the word of the day for me as well. NO

I think i have a slightly different take on it..

The texture is pretty good. i enjoy the synths and many of the more complex segments where the layering comes on thick.

On the other hand, i think the harmony, structure and arrangement are severely limited by the source material. the artist didnt stray too far at any point, and what we're left with is a few interesting textures that repeat and never become the bitchin' hofestivals they ought to be. (not sure if that's the correct terminology)

at any rate, nice sound, but NO

• 2 weeks later...

Wow. A mix resubmitted from a decision years ago, that has been in the queue for over a month. Come on, guys!

There's really nothing wrong with this mix if you ask me. The overall mixing is solid, the sounds are nice, and the arrangement is decent. There are some good ideas in terms of mixing up the original that I liked, and the whole package was generally enjoyable. Unfortunately, I simply do not think it quite meets today's standard. I believe this would have gotten on to the site if it was submitted a few years ago, but in its current state, it needs more. Perhaps some fresher and more dynamic sounds, a concrete ending, scaled-back repetition, and more variations in the rhythm section. With just a little more work I think this would be a great mix - please resubmit.. a little quicker this time :)

NO