Aquatic Ambience

Mordi

i think this is sounding great. the production is really clean and the soundscape is good (electric guitar was a nice, unexpected touch). i also really like the changes you made to the harmony - they definitely helped make the source, which has been done a whole lot, sound fresh again.

my only issue is with some of the portions that don't have a whole lot going on and are just sort of riding the groove and the ambience. i listen to a lot of ambient music so i really enjoyed the whole thing, but i'm not too sure what OCR's stance on stuff like that is. they may be looking for more movement throughout the entire track, but again, i'm not really sure...

either way, great work! i'm looking forward to hearing more.

Wow, some really nice production here. That electric guitar sounds perfect!

You've obviously got the production sorted on this one, although I'd work on the arrangement a lot more. There are a few neat ideas in there, but I think you should work in a lot more, as it sounds very close to the source at the moment. Some of the drum programming was a bit basic as well - that's definitely something you can improve.

Looking forward to hearing more from you, this is a great start :)

I actually found the fuller parts to be a little harsh in the mid-low range, it could just be my headphones though. Maybe pull down the mid just a bit on a master EQ. Not a lot, just a little :D

Other than that, absolutely fantastic. IMO there's enough interpretation here to qualify as an OCR-passable arrangement. The ambience is excellent; the voice samples, as well as everything else, fit really well.

I would wetten up that arp with some reverb or delay though at around 5:05. Nice panning on that instrument :)

And yeah, perhaps a little bit more original material in there would help out with your chances of passing. Don't be excessive with it though.

Can't wait to see this on the front page :D

Dude, it's about time you did something this good. :P Really nice sound design here (with one exception).

First minute and a half is quite conservative, and sometimes seems rushed (like at 0:53, tho that could just be how the leads comes in). It feels like you tried to get the source in there asap, breaking from the more withheld pace before. Could also just be the sound of the lead. Lead around 1:00 is a bit loud. It gets a little piercing some of the time, but I don't think it needs an EQ fix, just a levels fix.

1:36-3:02 is quite liberal, all I hear is some implied source is having an arpeggio in the background and roughly sticking to the chords and rhythm. I might be missing something, and it might not be that big a deal, but if I were you I'd make sure there was more source in there, even if it's just some background references and snippets and stuff. Conservative parts are conservative, liberal parts are liberal. Overall, it's hard to mistake this for a remix of anything else, or for an original track, but the original chords and emptier bits might as well be.

Weird chord 2:23, and later repetitions of this. A bit awkward but it works.

Production is ok, except for that lead. Doesn't need a big fix, but could be a bit softer. Some of its notes (like before 2:30) could blend together instead of retriggering the slow volume envelope. It's a matter of artistic choice, so consider it, maybe try it, and then do it if you feel it works better. Anyways, production ok, arrangement works, source usage is more borderline. Might be passable, might not be. Check with a judge, perhaps?

Really nice work. :D

Wow, this is really good. Fantastic ambiance, good chords and melody writing, and some unexpected stylistic choices that actually work very well (like the guitar.)

This IS pretty conservative, but there's moments like the outro that definitely help give this a bit more unique character. I would like to hear a bit more original writing in here too if you're looking for submitting to OCR. If you're just sharing though and not trying to adhere to OCR standards, I wouldn't change anything on that front.

I will say that the very first transition with the reversed cymbal was a little underwhelming, but I don't really have any fantastic ideas on how to improve it either, so my only suggestion is to just tweak with it a bit. Also, that arp that's playing in the end over the piano solo needs more reverb/delay, like someone else said. It feels a bit out of place, sound-wise. Fortunately the writing itself is spot-on.

Not much negative to say on this one, it's a fantastic mix! If you do submit this, good luck! I'd love to see it on the front page.