Dragon Quest X

Soul Splint

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/09/05/everything-square-enix-revealed-about-dragon-quest-x-so-far/

Not sure how to feel about this. I'm REALLY disappointed that Level-5 won't have a hand in it, but so far everything else sounds okay, provided they don't take too many mechanics from IX.

Some sites are calling it an MMO, but from what I've read you can choose to play the game just like IX, by recruiting a few PC controlled characters to aid you, or you can recruit people online. Square Enix has said there will be a (monthly?) fee for online play. So yeah, lots of ups and downs on this announcement.

I am however greatly relieved to hear it won't be restricted to the Wii U; there will be versions for both consoles. Now if they'll just announce some kind of DS compatibility that allows you to transfer stuff from IX...

Edit: Okay, scratch the notion that you don't HAVE to play online. http://wii.ign.com/articles/119/1192635p1.html

I'll try to hold back judgment until we see an actual figure for this fee. Try.

Or they're interested in making money BY providing an awesome game experience on the Wii. Despite much evidence to the contrary, the two don't HAVE to be mutually exclusive ideals.

Remember, however, that Monster Hunter Tri also had a subscription in Japan, but was free-to-play over here. This may follow the same pattern.

Or they're interested in making money BY providing an awesome game experience on the Wii. Despite much evidence to the contrary, the two don't HAVE to be mutually exclusive ideals.

I would've just preferred they give you the option like we were originally led to believe, that way both fronts can be satisfied. I don't like playing online games with people. Connectivity is always an issue and the Good Lord did not grace me with a lot of talent or know-how in the internet connectivity field. This presents a practical issue for me and I cannot buy it as a result.

Now my hopes are going to that Dragon Quest Anniversary something or other for the Wii. I would've much loved some kind of genuinely traditional JRPG style experience for a fancy fangled machine like the Wii, but oh well.

• 7 months later...

If it ends up as an MMO, then I'm afraid this is going to be the first Dragon Quest release I'm most likely going to pass on.

I've never been too keen on the MMORPG genre because of all the time it would consume and all the money one would invest in for osmething that you'd ultimately regret in the long run; and thus by aiming on a genre-specific focus that draws it far away from the simplicity that it was known for, it's set to alienate a great chunk of its fanbase this way. :|

That's disappointing news. I don't play MMOs. I don't want to interact with other people when I'm gaming (other than a select few games my one buddy and I play co-op). MMOs have the added disadvantage of being subscription-based. I buy games, not services within games. Therefore I'm going to pass on this one, just as I did FFXI and plan to skip FFXIV.

Here's a question for SquareEnix people (not that they ever read this forum in all likelihood): why make numbered sequels of mainstream series into MMOs? FFXI is Final Fantasy Online 1 and XIV is Online 2. How hard is that? Dragon Quest Online isn't that difficult to market, now is it? Make it a spinoff, not a numbered sequel.

Other than officially calling it an MMO, that article doesn't go against anything we've heard to date, which means it may still be possible to pull a DQIX and play single-player while just hiring randomly-rolled party members in your own game. I'm not assuming anything until an article with more information pops up; that one really didn't do anything more than give a solid JP release date.