*NO* Mega Man 5 & 1 'Electric Sleep'

DragonAvenger

Link to remix:

Contact Information

Your ReMixer name: ectogemia

Your real name: Nathan Becker

Your email address:

Your website: www.soundcloud.com/ectogemia

Your userid (number, not name) on our forums, found by viewing your forum profile: 39510

Submission Information

Name of game(s) arranged: Mega Man 1 & Mega Man 5

Name of arrangement: Electric Sleep

Name of individual song(s) arranged: Elec Man & Wily Stage

Additional information about game including composer, system, etc. (if it has not yet been added to the site)

Link to the original soundtrack (if it is not one of the sound archives already available on the site)

Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc.: This was my submission for Round 3 of the Wily Castle Remix Gauntlet. I popped it out in a day and a half, and I'm really proud of the end result given the speed of its production. I think it does a great job of establishing the atmosphere I was going for with it: a travel through synthetic dreamland. I really don't have much to say besides having to remix Elec Man's "theme" (if you can call it that; IT'S FOUR DAMN NOTES. FOUR NOTES, RAAAAAAAAAAAGHGHHGd) three times is a fate worse than a thousand deaths twice over. And then some. And a little more, still.

--------------

- wily

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ns0NSzqnjvA - elec

• 1 month later...

very well done arrangement here, using the wily theme as a foundation of the mix w/ a more liberal treatment of elec man sprinkled on, with some nice sounds to match. love all the fast arpeggios.

the overall song feels a bit overcompressed, and it's causing some minor pumping/dips in the EQ if I'm hearing things correctly, I suppose it could be your sidechain though. pretty competent stuff here man, not gonna complain. a solid first sub!

YES

Drew is right, the compression is pretty strong here and it's making some of the atmospheric/high-frequency synths and sounds a little too intense. I also felt like the drum sounds were almost too marginalized, and that a more dominant beat might have been a good option. Overall though, the mixing job on this holds up for the most part, and certainly gets the job done for this particular song.

The mixing is a little average and could use improvement, god damn I love everything else about this song. Your entire soundscape just exudes tension and the dramatic synth melodies/solos are the perfect complement to that. The whole arrangement is very fluid and ever-changing, I'm never quite sure if I'm at the peak of the song or still building up to something greater. Your transitions, climaxes, and breakdowns are all very powerful though. They all craft a very cool experience for the listener, and overall it's an incredibly impressive product for only a day and a half of work.

Nice work dude!

YES

• 3 weeks later...

PRODUCTION

[X] Low-quality samples - orchestra

[X] Unrealistic sequencing (particularly acoustic instrumentation, e.g. notes use the same velocities, mechanical timing) - orchestra

[X] Drums do not sound like part of the mix

[X] Mixing is muddy (e.g. too many sounds in bass, middle or treble) - orchestra breakdown, some bass synths, wah filtered synth

[X] Bell sounds are harsh (treble)

WHAT I LIKE ABOUT THE TRACK

[X] Creative arrangement ideas

[X] Good production quality

[X] Instrument choices

NO resub Fix muddy synths/sections (filtered wah), revisit orchestral sounds, any harsh leads

Mixing is muddy in the intro and continues throughout the song, and the song is overly compressed too. The drums were filtered such that they sounded like they weren't connected. I didn't get a sense of cohesion overall.

Arrangement was liberal but I could make out the sources much of the time. The production is the larger issue.

NO (resubmit)

I'm gonna side with the judges who aren't really sold on the production. SOme of the stuff really works despite being unnatural, like the piano sounds, but the high synth is super piercing, and there is a lot of mud. I think some smoother sequencing with the orchestra sections would really help this out. I think the samples are fine for OCR-level stuff, but it needs to have a little more life to it.

Strong resub candidate, IMO.

No, please resubmit

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely a little frustrated at this second combination mix of themes across a couple of games with 0 breakdown. It's kind of annoying people aren't going to the trouble of explaining how these source tunes are used or piece together. This is Nathan's second mix compo mix apparently using Elec Man's where I don't recognize it in here at all. And it's a catchy source, so WTF? JUST the ending? :lol: Anyway, I heard some bits of MM5 Wily, but would appreciate some further arrangement insight, as that theme is NOT memorable.

That said, Palpable and OA had my comments about the production down. The mixing's off from moment 1, unfortunately.

NO

EDIT (3/21):

Despite the fact that I stink, I can hear the elecman theme at 1:51 in the bells.

Fixed. :-P That said, SOURCE BREAKDOWNS FROM THE SUBMITTERS ALWAYS WANTED AND APPRECIATED. We're men, not machines. That said, the sources were used here more than amply now that I've had a chance to wrap my head around the MM5 source and hear Elec Man's theme slowed way down in the bells.

Following up on this, the percussion at :48 needs a harder tone, more of a snap, IMO. The pad-like instrument at :48 sounded a bit flat and bland as well, and didn't combine well with the other writing from 1:24-1:41, making some of the writing sound off-key; I'd probably drop the volume on that since it's generally a supporting part.

Elec Man's theme was used nicely from 1:51-2:56. I could see people having a problem with it, as it's more of a background player to start, while original writing is the main event in the foreground. But Elec Man's referred to in the foreground thanks to the string writing from 2:26-2:53. Not a bad transition into and out of this section, though the mixing of 3:17's section (when more parts came in at 3:44) sounded very uncohesive. I'm not inherently bothered by the warbly effects, but from 3:44-4:01 the warbly effects combined with cluttered mixing to create a brief sore spot.

Not a bad transition at 4:20, but back to the bland backing writing of :48's section that ended up dragging this down. Interesting final section at 5:26 for a decidedly different sound for the finish. Initially, I thought the overall structuring wasn't cohesive enough, but I was wrong.

I'd looking into refine that drumwork and see if there are other sounds that fit a bit better and have more impact, change that one pad into something that doesn't undermine the energy, make sure 1:24-1:41 doesn't sound off-key anymore and clean up the mixing for that brief section (3:44-4:01). It's little things that are adding up into enough to NO it for now, Nathan, but I hope you make some tweaks to really get everything clicking. You're clearly on the way to getting something posted, very clearly on the right track, so don't be discouraged if this doesn't pass yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Despite Larry's whining, I can hear the elecman theme at 1:51 in the bells. That being aside from the point, I do have to agree with the NO side of things that the production is not very clear, and the synths are definitely too piercing. I am ok with the arrangement as is, although I'm not crazy about it myself. I do hope you fix this one up!

NO (resubmit)

• 3 weeks later...

I think enough people have highlighted enough areas to show that this could be improved quite a bit. Particular things that I noticed:

Drum sound is very odd, detached from the mix.

The piercing bells.

The filtered synth is a bit over the top/muddy.

Bit of work on those particular areas needed for me, but check out what the others guys wanted too.

NO