OCR02366 - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV "The Shredder"

djpretzel

How... Just HOW does EVERY MIX of this I hear end up being good?! Ass-kicking-ly so, even! HOW?! What, what is wrong- No, what is RIGHT with you people?! At this rate, I'll have fifty mixes of a song from a game I never played!!!

Faux panic aside, this track really is good. For me it was a personal third best of the album (And in an album this good, that's saying something), but I can easily see this being the topper for someone. In my opinion, it JUST falls short of the mix off of "Heroes VS. Villains", since that one had mind-melting trickery, but only barely so. This is definitely one I'll continue listening to in the future.

This is without a doubt my favorite ReMix off of the BadAss album by far. The heavy guitars in the intro leading up to the movie quote by Shredder himself was great. The entire mix sounded tense and chaotic in a good way, like a fight song should, and the transition from Shredder's battle theme to the Boss theme and back was excellent. Great work with the drums and other backing instruments. This basically had everything I could have asked for in a Shredder ReMix and more. Terrific work, Sixto.

I remember liking this a lot when I first heard it; it's face melting Sixto, but it barely ever grows old. :)

Indeed, there's this hint of difference thrown in with the ambience and the steadier tempo, as well as the movie quote to fit with the transition straight to the source. There's been some good separation of the pulled-off synth and lead here, which managed to work well for source manipulation, not to mention some great wah manipulation in the second variation of the theme in particular that further adds fuel to his playing style. Even throwing in the regular boss theme at the 3 minute mark, and served as a great accompaniment to a strong face melting solo. Not quite as progressive as some of the others I have seen in past mixes, but the precision is easily there.

I must admit, the fake ending took me by surprise, though to see the second half of the Shredder boss theme come through to end it properly erased doubts altogether. Even then the ending still felt a little anti-climatic, but as long as the structure's there, I'm cool with it.

Production-wise, it's clean Sixto with a lot of detail in there. Not much difference I could sense from past tracks except the drums sound much sharper and fitting the genre, to the point that I could literally feel the smacks of the kit as the track goes through.

In fact, even the drum writing is fantastic - usually I don't pay attention to it because it tends to get a bit same-ish in playing style (and by that I'm picking similarities in "Go the Distance", "The Skull Fortress" and "Metamorphic Rock" here :razz: ) but the amount of precision and energy brought in especially in varying up some of the cymbal parts and fills as well manages to really make it shine. Sure, my only complaint with it though is that the 'chorus' sections tend to feel copy-pasted, but I couldn't really envision them any other way.

Otherwise, this was a GREAT addition to BadAss and marked a fantastic year for the Shredder, and I hope Sixto keeps melting our faces off in the time to come. Remember, play more, buy less!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I admit - I really love the TMNT 4 soundtrack and I wish there were more remixes. I also admit that I have to be in a certain mood to listen to it to longs periods of time because it is so repetitive and slightly grating.

With that said - I love this rendition. Excellent blend of synths and guitar; rockin' drums. It adds dynamic and feeling, it's not repetitious and it still maintains the raw power and fury of the original tune.

Oh, and the Shredder sample is awesome.

• 1 month later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR02366 - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV "The Shredder"