FF6 Balance & Ruin Kickstarter RELAUNCHED (and FUNDED)!

zircon

Have you been around here for other album launches? This is totally par for the course. Granted, they set an estimated completion date a lot earlier than is normally done, but it's completely typical to get a loose release window out there, then take months until it actually releases. If I recall correctly, Serious Monkey Business was kicking around a 2009 release date at one point (albeit well before final WAVs were in). That album didn't release until March of 2010.

Like zircon said, there's a lot of work going into this project by people who have day jobs and families, so delays are to be expected. I'd rather everyone takes their time and puts out a quality product, rather than rush to meet deadlines. Especially having donated money to the project. I've been waiting 8 years for an FFVI OCR album, what's a few weeks or months more?

People are probably getting a little antsier than usual since there's money involved this time. A little more transparency on why this is so late might go a long way to calming some nerves. Also, we're all just really looking forward to this. If I were OCR staff I'd take the level of annoyance and whining about this project as a compliment. At the risk of complicating things further, would it be at all possible to reopen the Kickstarter or start a new one so more of us who missed the boat can play?

People are probably getting a little antsier than usual since there's money involved this time. A little more transparency on why this is so late might go a long way to calming some nerves. Also, we're all just really looking forward to this. If I were OCR staff I'd take the level of annoyance and whining about this project as a compliment. At the risk of complicating things further, would it be at all possible to reopen the Kickstarter or start a new one so more of us who missed the boat can play?

They can't reopen or open a new Kickstarter... I mean they could start a new one, but I don't think it would go over too well, with the album not even being out yet.

I thought you had a good, very articulate post. I'd also like to hear what's going on. I asked zirc and he said "logistics". Which basically means nothing. :-P I think they might be waiting on something to get finished still. Patience, I guess.... hopefully it comes out before Summer though, which is only 1 month away.

I like to think we've been transparent from day one about how the project is going. At the moment, 99.9% of the music is done and we are waiting on a single track from Mr. Pretzel himself (the other last two tracks finished within the last ~3 days). I've spent a great deal of time in the last few weeks assembling full information on credits, source names, artist/track names, commentary, and lyrics, a task that is much more complicated than it sounds when you are dealing with 60+ tracks and artists. Website and graphic design are both almost done and have largely been waiting on information on credits/names to be totally complete.

Here's what needs to be in place for this album to be released:

* All music complete and encoded in MP3/FLAC and tagged with full artist credits, track names, comments, lyrics, URL, etc. triple-checked and cross-referenced with our master list spreadsheet.

* A selection of tracks tagged for release on OCR front page, complete with writeups from djpretzel, myself and McVaffe.

* All tracks uploaded to multiple mirrors.

* Torrent prepared and pre-seeded on the tracker.

* All artwork complete for digital & physical releases including full liner notes, Kickstarter backer list, directory commentary, credits, legalese.

* Website complete with all tracks, download links, credits, lyrics, commentary, artwork.

* Digital and physical artwork, the latter including art for all 5 discs, Digipak 4/8-panel insert, panels.

* All interview / behind-the-scenes videos edited, encoded and combined cohesively for the DVD.

* All stems and bonus files organized and named properly for the DVD.

* OCR frontpage prepared for the release.

and that's just off the top of my head. Most of this has to be double, triple, and quadruple-checked by as many staff as possible. The physical release has way, way more stuff involved ranging from templating the art properly, to going over proofs, routing shipments to Amazon and filling out bulk shipment forms, updating backer addresses one by one, etc...

But at the end of the day, Spring is still the goal and believe me when I say this will be well-worth the wait.

Edited by zircon

Delays just happen.

At least we have an update

Of what's going on.

I can't wait either,

But I've learnt to deal with it,

See it run the course.

You should do the same.

That pledge to the kickstarter

Will be worth it, yes?

Trust me when I say

This album will blow your minds.

Better be ready!

(Sorry about that

But this is appropriate.

Haikus ftw.)

Delays just happen.

At least we have an update

Of what's going on.

I can't wait either,

But I've learnt to deal with it,

See it run the course.

You should do the same.

That pledge to the kickstarter

Will be worth it, yes?

Trust me when I say

This album will blow your minds.

Better be ready!

(Sorry about that

But this is appropriate.

Haikus ftw.)

Metal collab with Brandon with them haiku's? yes? :-)

On topic: I never realized how much work goes into an OCremix album. Thank you Zirc and pals for your hard work :grin:

Well, you don't want to sing it, just do a chanting growl, ala Dethfrog.

Also, I suggest everyone who is antsy for this to come out should take the time to listen to the full OCR back catalog and all previous albums. That should tide y'all over until the release (also, you're likely to find an awesome piece or two you didn't know about).

Edited by omnipotentBagel

looked back through the DKC2 thread cause we were waiting on djp for that to finish as well

brought these back (with new final line on that last one)

btw the first is a parody of "The Distance" by Cake and the last is a parody of "Livin' on a Prayer" by Bon Jovi

---

He's going to finish,

He's DJP,

He's all alone, (all alone)

With his WIPs.

---

DJP works hard

On the tracks he has reserved

He should finish soon

---

Whooooa, he's almost done,

Whooooa-oh, he still has to do one!

Trust me now, it's been a long run,

Whooooa-oh, one more and he's done.

ONE MORE AND IT'S DOOONNNEE!!!

I reflect the previous posters enthusiasm. I hope it comes out tomorrow:-)

Btw, the "Unbalanced and Ruined" albums "What!?" had me totally satisfied for that track.

Edited by ocilfa