Old School RPG: Kickstarter (Shaker)

Vilecat

Oh, whoa, haven't posted in ages! Sup ladies ;-)

Tom Hall and Brenda Brathwaite have started today a kickstarter to bring us RPG lovers a old school type of game, complete with stats, character alignements and actions that affect your story. It's simply called Old School RPG and is worth at least skimming through.

I don't know about you guys, but I'd love me some more Baldur's Gate-esque games around. Or Dragon Age, although you couldn't really create your party from scratch, only your main character. With the possiblity of even getting a 2nd game if they gather enough money and a pen and paper option for whoever pays $60 and up, this is a very sweet deal. Loot Drop (the developping team) has already announced that this will be a DRM-free game too.

Whatcha think, sounds interesting? I'm planning on backing 'em up. I can't see how they could go wrong with this. I wish I could become a NPC or a place :P I don't really have that kind of money though.

Tom Hall and Brenda Brathwaite have started today a kickstarter to bring us RPG lovers a old school type of game, complete with stats, character alignements and actions that affect your story.

so basically just like all the new school rpgs

Oh, whoa, haven't posted in ages! Sup ladies ;-)

Tom Hall and Brenda Brathwaite have started today a kickstarter to bring us RPG lovers a old school type of game, complete with stats, character alignements and actions that affect your story. It's simply called Old School RPG and is worth at least skimming through.

I don't know about you guys, but I'd love me some more Baldur's Gate-esque games around. Or Dragon Age, although you couldn't really create your party from scratch, only your main character. With the possiblity of even getting a 2nd game if they gather enough money and a pen and paper option for whoever pays $60 and up, this is a very sweet deal. Loot Drop (the developping team) has already announced that this will be a DRM-free game too.

Whatcha think, sounds interesting? I'm planning on backing 'em up. I can't see how they could go wrong with this. I wish I could become a NPC or a place :P I don't really have that kind of money though.

I think an Ultima-type game with more interesting combat would be nice. IMMERSE ME.

Oh shit, these guys designed Wizardry and they have developers from Jagged Alliance on staff? OK, yeah, the combat system should be well taken care of, then. Get ready for an old school TACTICAL RPG, peoplez.

Go download them :P I basically had a year off my last year of undergrad, and I spent a good chunk of that year playing old Wizardry and Might & Magic games (along with a fuck ton of classic Everquest via Project 1999). Nerdiest year of my life. It was awesome.

Oh yes, the old Might and Magic games. Totally forgot about those. I'd love to see a more recent version/incarnation of games like these, and thought many would be interested in at least following the developpement on this one.

Inquisitor looks interesting, but I'm not gonna spend any money on games before next year after getting Pokemon Conquest, Borderlands 2 and Torchlight 2. I could swear I've seen it on Steam Greenlight btw.

Go download them :P I basically had a year off my last year of undergrad, and I spent a good chunk of that year playing old Wizardry and Might & Magic games (along with a fuck ton of classic Everquest via Project 1999). Nerdiest year of my life. It was awesome.

But.. but I've already played the good ones a whole whole bunch. :< Especially 5, oy vey. Though I skipped over 4 because it kicked my butt like whoa.

I wish the genre was popular in the US and more Wizardry-esque games were released here. Dark Spire was great. Etrian Odyssey bored me to tears.

Maybe I'll play Wizardry 6 again sometime soon. Stupid endings aside, that game was really awesome.

But.. but I've already played the good ones a whole whole bunch. :< Especially 5, oy vey. Though I skipped over 4 because it kicked my butt like whoa.

I wish the genre was popular in the US and more Wizardry-esque games were released here. Dark Spire was great. Etrian Odyssey bored me to tears.

Maybe I'll play Wizardry 6 again sometime soon. Stupid endings aside, that game was really awesome.

Yep, good ol' dungeon crawlers are hard to come by these days. That's why I'm into roguelikes. Infinitely different dungeon crawl experience every time. Have you tried the Avernum/Exile series? Fantastic games with an extremely imaginative world.

And yeah, Etrian Odyssey sucked. Why would anyone want to play a game that glorifies grinding?

Tell that to Disgaea fans.

>>put 80hrs into Disgaea DS over here<<

Hah, actually, the first Disgaea is the game that put the final nail in the JRPG coffin for me. I gave it an honest chance and made it to the end of the game, but it sorta just seemed like it was a big grind. The item world stuff was just... ugh... I haven't played a JRPG since, and I'm not sure I ever will again.

If that's your thing, though, Disgaea is certainly a good choice :P

Item World. x.x

I loved Disgaea. I beat it, but after getting Laharl to level 1000 something I just couldn't do it anymore... The Item World confused me, and I couldn't do all the additional content because you had to have a crazy high level. But the story and presentation of the story was <3 I don't mind all types of grinding, but it wasn't enjoyable in Disgaea. Cave of Trials 3, attack, rinse, repeat.. ugh.

Final Fantasy Tactics and Disgaea 1 I put 300 hours into each. And yes, 120 hours or so for DQ7, and 150 hours for Xenoblade. I've also got over 50 hours in Rainbow Moon now (a psn download title. If you like turn-based strategy rpgs, check it out maybe), and 22 hours on Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2. And that doesn't even take into account Last Story, which I've put on hold because my Wii can't read the disc for more than one hour, but I was about 15 hours into that one too.

I'm addicted to grinding.

Oh my, Disgaea. I think I have almost 150H accumulated only for the first game. The humor and writing were pretty good and refreshing from your average JRPG. I think I finished the game twice, then started the cave of Trials and stopped after a while, I got bored of grinding for the next map (Laharl is in the lv400's if I recall). Disgaea 2 was also enjoyable, but I didn't spend as much time. I really enjoyed the Dark Sun challenge a lot more than Cave of Trials or the Item world (hated the latter).

Then there's FFT, the Fire Emblem games on GBA, Suikoden Tactics and more recently Pokemon Conquest, ... I'm fine with grinding when there's something to distract you from it (that's how I ended up with 8 lv 80 characters in WoW during LK and over 20 at lv60+ during Cata).

But enough StratRPGs, I wanna go back to regular RPG, something that doesn't have to be a roguelike for me to get all the promising stuff from this kickstarter. Speaking of, apparently they updated the info with some sort of prologue("Setting and Story") to their game. Sci-fi turn medieval type of twist it seems.

Edit: also there's a setup/prologue for the possible 2nd game, if they hit the mark. Just saw it as I scrolled down.

Hah, actually, the first Disgaea is the game that put the final nail in the JRPG coffin for me. I gave it an honest chance and made it to the end of the game, but it sorta just seemed like it was a big grind. The item world stuff was just... ugh... I haven't played a JRPG since, and I'm not sure I ever will again.

If that's your thing, though, Disgaea is certainly a good choice :P

Try Radiant Historia. It's like all the things you loved about SNES JRPGs crammed into one game.