Fit Club ahoy! Where men are bros and women are also bros!

OceansAndrew

hey doodz, the OCR fitocracy group is starting a new challenge on the 1st, the chin-untz challenge!

any pullups or chinups are counted, and the challenge lasts a month.

No need to trash your current program if it's working for you just to pwn the challenge, just add some on top of what you'd normally do! :-)

Man :cry:

Pullups?!

Man :cry:

Pullups?!

Back when I was captain of my high school tennis team and going through lifeguard training at the same time, I think I could do 10 pullups. Now I think I can only do 1. I've always hated upper body workouts. I don't know if I can participate in this one.

Do negatives. If you can't do negatives with a bar, do assisted pullups with a machine. If you can't do that, do lat pulldowns.

YOU CAN DO EET. EVRYBODEE STRENGTH!

I don't even know what half of those things are. The most pullups I do are taking the food to my mouth!

Being that your palm is generally facing towards you when you bring food to your mouth, that'd be a chin-up :P

A negative is the part of any lift where the angle between the joints involved are increasing. What that really means is that it's the part of any lift where you aren't actively moving a load. It is when you are returning the load to the starting position. In the case of a pull-up or chin-up, the negative would be when you are lowering yourself back down.

So in order to do a negative pull-up, you would generally stand on a stool or chair or a bench and start the rep with the bar already at your chin. Then, you simply lower yourself down to the floor very slowly. That's one rep. Now you get back on the chair or whatever and reset for the next rep. They're extremely effective at building strength.

Assisted pullups are -- unlike a negative -- a full rep, up and down, but they are done on a machine that can be found at most, if not all, commercial gyms. They utilize a counterweight system which subtracts from your body weight whatever weight on the rack you put the pin in. So if you weigh 200 lbs and you put the pin on 75 lbs., then if you do a pull-up, you will effectively be lifting 125 lbs, not your full body weight.

A lat pulldown is another pulley-based machine which doesn't require you to lift your own weight in any manner. You just pull the weight down to yourself while keeping a straight back. Simple enough.

Edited by ectogemia

I just shoveled my driveway with 6 inches of the heaviest snow I've ever done. Probably 20-35 lbs per shovel. And it's not like I could plow it to the side, I had to actually pick up one shovel at a time and carry it to the side. Took me almost 2 hours. Now I'm covered in sweat and need a shower.

Edited by Thin Crust

Today is day 1 of my cut down!

From Jan 1 to Mar 1 I gained 15 lbs and a lot of lifting PRs on a pretty clean bulk (about 3.1k calories a day), and now it's time to see how much of that is actually muscle! ^____^

I'm going with a 20% calorie deficit and a macro breakdown of 40% protein, 35% carbs, 25% fat.

Based on my TDEE, that should be about 2240 cal, 220g protein a day goal.

I think my math is right, but if anything seems weird to you guys, let me know!

I am thankfully blessed with the ability to eat the exact same thing every day for eternity, so hitting my macro goals are easy, it's just being patient. :D

I'm aiming for 7%BF for this, so it should be pretty fun! :D

Nice! I began my cut Monday. Your numbers look good, and are remarkably similar to what I'm following. I'm doing similar ratios and the EXACT same daily protein intake, but I'm doing a bit fewer calories than you 'cause I have a little more fat to get rid of. And thanks to my wife, I now have stats!

I'm currently sitting at these numbers, and I'll update the muscle/water ratios later because I don't remember them right now...

Height: 6 feet 2.5 inches

Weight: 196 (up from 178 on Nov. 1, gained a lot of good weight and a little bit of bad).

BF %: 15.5 - I want to get close to 10 in the next few months if possible. Very restricted eating and some HIIT thrown in a couple of times a week on top of my workouts (beginning soon) to see how low I can go.

Bone: 6.5%

Water: 59%

Muscle: 42%

Edited by Soul Splint

• 2 weeks later...

I wanna know what my numbers are. Last time I checked, I was at something like 8-9% BF. My wife feeds me good food (grass fed beef, mostly paleo) so it helps that I don't have to worry about my diet.

Recently had to change my workout routine, which blows. I hate working out in the mornings (I would always go after work and relieve some of the stress of the day) but someone over here had a freak-out about work hours, and now I'm locked in with no flexibility. I'm at the gym at 6 every day now :( But at least I still get to work out.

note to self: chin ups challenge is not at all popular. XD

For fun, I challenged President DoD himself, BornInCrimson to a deadlift duel. I think he might have the goods to beat me out, but I am going to make him work for it! :-)

Deadlift duel, you say... this is relevant to my interests...

That being said, I'm only 6 weeks back into lifting after 9ish months off, so my lifts aren't anything to brag about at this point. I think I'm at like 5x3 260 lbs on deadlift. You'd pwn me D:

My wife feeds me good food (grass fed beef, mostly paleo) so it helps that I don't have to worry about my diet.

yay!!!

I'm at the gym at 6 every day now :(

boo!!!

here is the duel in question - I went for reps this week, but basically it tracks 1rm, and it'll be a race for both of us to 405. I don't think he's hit that yet, and I haven't but think I can get close, so it's a good matchup.

https://www.fitocracy.com/duel/oceansandrew-vs-Crims/12483/

Lol @ 405. Yeah, not gonna happen on my end. Give me at least a year :P

So something strange happened recently. This week, I started wearing a different pair of shoes to go running. And now I can't even go a mile before my lateral ankles ache. So today, I switched back to my other shoes and wouldn't you know it? Now my old shoes also make them ache. It seems so weird that this would happen in such a short time.