- Band name: Stroyent

- Email address:

- Website: http://stroyent.hafenzine.de / http://www.soundcloud.com/stroyent

Submission Information:

- Game: Doom

- Arrangement name: Sign of Evil (E1M8)

- Song name: Sign of Evil

Comments:

This is a metal remix of the famous track 'Sign of Evil' from Doom.

It was recorded by Stroyent, a former Death Metal recording project from germany which is now a fully manned band.

This record was created under commensurate bad homerecording cases. We did the best we could with what we knew and what we had.

There are other Doom and Quake related songs (like 'Shores Of Hell' or 'Stroggos Hyperblast') done by us and there will be more.

The mp3:

Thanks for reading. And sorry for my bad english.

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

Very nice droning, downtempo metal. I generally felt like the track didn't really go anywhere dynamically and was quite repetitive, especially for a song that isn't especially long. However, the reprise at the end did redeem the track a bit.

In the end this was a tough call because part of me was always waiting for the other shoe to drop, but I think the piece is still effective and moody.

YES

• 2 months later...

I thought the drums were pretty empty and, drowned down by the guitars, had little presence in the piece. The guitars and padding did a decent job setting up an airy, distant mood; so why would the percussion sound so much drier?

At least by around 1:19, they were pushed more into the background, obscuring how dry their sound was. Also, the way the drums got WAY louder at 3:04 was like swinging the pendulum totally in the other direction, making it too loud and interfering with hearing the rest of the piece.

It's a solid attempt so far, and I like the dark sound of the pads and foreground elements, but the textures were never cohesive on account of the percussion never being mixed in the right way, and the bass work nearly being drowned into submission. I'd love to hear another pass at the production to improve some things here. Some potential here though.

NO

• 1 month later...
This record was created under commensurate bad homerecording cases. We did the best we could with what we knew and what we had.

I know that feel bros.

Strange one this, as you're going for a very ambient style of metal. The weak point is definitely the drums. Extremely metal clicky samples are always missing their mids and can end up sounding a little flappy as here. It can also expose weird things in the sequencing when they're this bright, for example:

- If you listen to the kick from 2:57, it suddenly increases in velocity for no real reason at 3:05 in the middle of a phrase.

- It also sounds like during the ending fadeout, the kick is getting lower in velocity/intensity as well as lower in volume? I'm not sure that this is intentional as it sounds very odd.

This is a really tough one... Like Vig, I like the mood going on even if it has some problems. But the problems are pretty standard for this sort of track being made with limited facilities.

YES, but only just

I can join in on the yes side of the fence, if also just barely. I agree with everyone's point on the drums. They sound a bit odd at times, and after Cain pointed out the 2:57-3:06 I can't unhear it. That being said, I think you approach this style very well, although it is a bit repetitive. I would have liked some more obvious variation in the parts which could have been used to create a nice build-up throughout the track.

The overall dark mood really sets the stage well for this track and reflects on the game as well. I think the flaws are something to work in in the future, but not enough to bring this below the bar.

YES (borderline)

I wasn't feeling this one, but for different reasons than Larry. The drumwork sounded solid enough to my ears, but the arrangement itself didn't really work for me. I get that Doom is an ambient soundtrack, but there wasn't enough dynamics or detail in this to sustain my interest. The mixing contributes to that. If the guitars were mixed louder and the song had more bite, I could see it working as is, potentially. But it stays in first gear throughout. Some potential here, but can't pass it yet.

NO (resubmit)

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm, I can't access the ocr link to the track. Not trying to be a pain, but since I'm getting these at work, can someone look into fixing the judge link?

EDIT:

OK, got a working copy now. Since this is a split one, I'm gonna write down my thoughts before reading anyone elses.

Not really feeling the energy from this intro. The kit lacks punch and sounds a bit dry and the arrangement is pretty spare here. At :49, the energy raises a bit, but the guitars are sounding distant to me, which is undermining their effectiveness.

1:36 sounds like it should be intense because of the drum writing, but beyond that, the other underlying parts remain pretty much the same.

There's really not much variation in the guitar performance through 2 minutes in. After that, there's a pretty nice atmospheric break, which establishes a bit more mood. That's followed by what's essentially a copy-paste (which some slight variation) from the 1:36 section.

So, reading above, it looks like I'm landing somewhere between Larry and Vinnie. It's super unfortunate that a lot of this is due to recording limitations, rather than more conventional production issues that can be tweaked. Good luck on the rest of the vote, guys.

NO resubmit, please

Edited by Nutritious

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, agree with the no's. The Drums sound rather thin, dry and exposed, and the arrangement isn't as daring as it could be - It progresses, but it doesn't reach its full potential due to a lack of attention to detail with the arrangement and dynamics.

Guitars sound nice and beefy, the bass sounds cool, the rhythm does get a little buried under everything tho.

That said, the problems mean I can't sign off on it.

Sorry dude, fix this up and send it back, you got plenty of crits to work with :)

NO (resub)