Do I really need to say?

If that wasn't sarcasm:

Sonic Heroes

Shadow the Hedgehog

Sonic '06 *shudder*

Sonic Unleashed

Sonic 4

Ring any bells?

After those games, Sega put out Sonic Colors, which was very fun and a step in the right direction towards getting Sonic games back on a quality track. They followed that up with the Sonic Generations, which was excellent. These are not not "semi-good;" they are genuinely good Sonic games. Sonic Lost World looks to be continuing the trend.

This is a continuation from the Wii U thread (again! ha!)

I felt like Generations was half a good game (the old school Sonic) parts, stuck with half a bad Sonic game (new school sonic parts) mixed with a lot of dumb stuff (all the little mini side missions).

It was a huge improvement over what they've done in the past, but most of it was like "Hey remember when we used to be good?" Yes. Yes I do :/

If they made a WHOLE proper game like old school style Sonic levels in Generations, THAT would of been awesome.

Sonic Colors was generally good, but seemed like they got inspired by Mario Galaxy with all the power ups / level design

(now uh... Sonic Lost Worlds uh... is REALLY REALLY inspired by Mario Galaxy!)

But these are still just 2 games in a long long long long line of bad games.

There is no guarantee that just because they did okay on 2 games means they will always do okay on every game going forward. :/ I think its reasonable to be cautious when it comes to Sega, especially Sonic. I loved Sonic/Sega, but there are many many more bad games they've created than good in the past decade

That said I can't wait to see if this Lost Worlds continues to "Good" trend, and they don't screw up again

Edited by Crowbar Man

I don't know if somebody mentioned it before, but Tomoya Ohtani will be the composer. http://www.sonicstadium.org/2013/06/tss-e3-takashi-iizuka-interview-pure-platforming-action/

Wow thanks for the information.

Tomoya has done a lot of Sonic's stuff for a while, though I love Jun Senoue. He was quite disappointing with Sonic Generations, but his days as the composer for games such as SA1, SA2, and Sonic Heroes are just some of the greatest musical days of Sonic, in my honest opinion.

Though I'm not sure that style would work totally well with this game. Tomoya is a good pick.

Also, the whole interview was quite useful to read. Iizuka definitely gave some information that definitely interests me. The way he presents the title and the reasoning for every question TSS had was just great. I'm really actually excited for this game.

Edited by Garrett Williamson

This is a continuation from the Wii U thread (again! ha!)

I felt like Generations was half a good game (the old school Sonic) parts, stuck with half a bad Sonic game (new school sonic parts) mixed with a lot of dumb stuff (all the little mini side missions).

It was a huge improvement over what they've done in the past, but most of it was like "Hey remember when we used to be good?" Yes. Yes I do :/

If they made a WHOLE proper game like old school style Sonic levels in Generations, THAT would of been awesome.

Sonic Colors was generally good, but seemed like they got inspired by Mario Galaxy with all the power ups / level design

(now uh... Sonic Lost Worlds uh... is REALLY REALLY inspired by Mario Galaxy!)

But these are still just 2 games in a long long long long line of bad games.

There is no guarantee that just because they did okay on 2 games means they will always do okay on every game going forward. :/ I think its reasonable to be cautious when it comes to Sega, especially Sonic. I loved Sonic/Sega, but there are many many more bad games they've created than good in the past decade

That said I can't wait to see if this Lost Worlds continues to "Good" trend, and they don't screw up again

WHOOPS DOUBLE POST. WHOOOOOPS.

People continue to try and compare this game to SMG. If you've seen gameplay and the interviews, this has a bit of that idea, but you will see a dramatical difference between the two. This game is still definitely Sonic.

Additionally, I disagree with you on Generations. While the new school stuff could've been better in the past, the recent Sonic games have actually been quite good. They were able to finally (and gradually) recover from their huge mistake with Sonic '06, and I'm beginning to enjoy Sonic again. I think the idea of putting "new school" Sonic in old school stages was totally cool, and having "old school" Sonic in the new stuff was really neat too. If the whole game was just Classic Sonic, I think that sorta destroys the purpose of it. Part of the magic is having both. Getting rid of Classic Sonic would obviously destroy it too. It needed both. And it worked. The only thing that sucked about the game were the cutscenes. That sucked.

Yeah stuff I'm hearing from the game sounds way better than what they used on the trailer. Good music CONFIRMED!

Remember, the music from the trailer isn't even Sonic. It was the music from "Cinema" by Benny Benassi.

Also, I never remember a time when I played a Sonic Allstars Racing and liked it better than Mario Kart, honestly... Mario Kart's still my favorite "unrealistic" racing game series and probably my favorite racing game series. There's just magic with Mario Kart I don't get with any other game.

I dunno Zircon I never thought Sonic All-stars clobbered Mario Kart recently.

Though this game looks nice though the weird 'close up' slow down on the 3DS when bouncing between areas looks like it could be quite flow-breaking.

Well, opinions are opinions I guess. But Allstars to me and everyone who I regularly game with is a clearly better game than Mario Kart Wii, the latest console MK game. The control is amazing with no motion control gimmicks. It's SO fluid. The racing mechanics with drifting and tricks feel really good and emphasize skill. The items are a lot of fun without being dirt cheap like the blue shell or bullet bill, which are literally mindless and take no skill to use. Even the bee swarm (which only affects the lead player) can be dodged if you're good.

Also, the graphics are a big step up - very smooth and crisp - and it runs beautifully on PC. Plus there are so many great gameplay modes, battling, unique characters... it's just a lot of fun.

Basically I'm hoping they take that same level of improvement and polish to Lost World.

I never played MKWii with motion controls, maybe that was your issue with the game Zircon! Try regular controls sometime.

Sonic All stars is a pretty great game though, and until MK8 comes out its the only really good HD game on console (and will still be the only good one on PC). And if you don't have a Wii/U, the only one available outside of Nintendo land. So definitely some advantages there.

Though, it did steal the transforming Karts from MK7, its okay because they still did an awesome job implementing it. Its really a blast!

The funniest part is its not even made by Sega. (Sumo Digital did both games) Kinda sad that one of the best Sonic related games in the past decade didn't come from Sonic Team.

Edited by Crowbar Man

Well, opinions are opinions I guess. But Allstars to me and everyone who I regularly game with is a clearly better game than Mario Kart Wii, the latest console MK game. The control is amazing with no motion control gimmicks. It's SO fluid. The racing mechanics with drifting and tricks feel really good and emphasize skill. The items are a lot of fun without being dirt cheap like the blue shell or bullet bill, which are literally mindless and take no skill to use. Even the bee swarm (which only affects the lead player) can be dodged if you're good.

Also, the graphics are a big step up - very smooth and crisp - and it runs beautifully on PC. Plus there are so many great gameplay modes, battling, unique characters... it's just a lot of fun.

Basically I'm hoping they take that same level of improvement and polish to Lost World.

Well the motion controls are totally optional. I don't use them as they are too sensitive but Mario Kart Wii has tricks and has always had drifting which emphasises skill. The items are fun and make sense (something SASR doesn't have, seriously what is the 'hot rod'?) and even if someone does get a blue shell there is tactics you can take to minimise damage or reduce it entirely.

As for graphics I'd say it's more due to the realistic nature of SASR compared to Mario Kart, or more the fact that Mario's graphics are just naturally cartoony, I wouldn't say they were by any means bad, beautiful even but remember Sonic was designed for the likes of PS3, Xbox everything else while Mario Kart was exclusive to Wii. Of course it's going to be more powerful graphically.

As for graphics I'd say it's more due to the realistic nature of SASR compared to Mario Kart, or more the fact that Mario's graphics are just naturally cartoony, I wouldn't say they were by any means bad, beautiful even but remember Sonic was designed for the likes of PS3, Xbox everything else while Mario Kart was exclusive to Wii. Of course it's going to be more powerful graphically.

And then there's Mario Kart 8.